Why petrol stops for vans?

ChristianPFC

5 hours ago, wump said:

This is utter rubbish. We have LPG in two cars in Germany and even in minus 20 degrees there is no freezing, no matter how far you go. Mind you, these cars switch back to petrol if doing more than 170 kph but I have never seen a minivan doing more than 130-140 kph in Thailand so shouldn't be an issue. Additionally, it's boiling hot over here so tell me, how would anything start freezing?!

Sorry  Sherlock they Do freeze ,,You check with Mr Google ok,,

5 hours ago, wump said:

This is utter rubbish. We have LPG in two cars in Germany and even in minus 20 degrees there is no freezing, no matter how far you go. Mind you, these cars switch back to petrol if doing more than 170 kph but I have never seen a minivan doing more than 130-140 kph in Thailand so shouldn't be an issue. Additionally, it's boiling hot over here so tell me, how would anything start freezing?!

Then why this website also say it can happen ?

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/Hints.html

If you ever played with a can of lightergas you know it freezes your skin when you let the gas come out fast.

And i also did see this happen in the summer with propane tanks used for warm water and cooking. Blocks of ice appeared after using gas while in the winter there isnt any problem.

Btw why even airco systems can freeze up in hot temps? The airco techicians in my factory have more problems when the temp is over 30° then when it is cooler. If they set the airco lower then 20° for some hours the compressor just freezes up even it is 35° outside. Then they have to be turned of to defrost again.

Anyway i am not an lpg technician or user so if what i say is rubbish i am sorry. But i do know some things about how weird working with (any)gas can be.

Regards

5 hours ago, wump said:

Really? LPG is like 13 (?) Baht a litre while petrol is about 26-27 Baht a litre. Additionally, you use about 20-25% more per litre on LPG as its energy density is smaller. So please, get your facts straight before posting... it's about 60% more expensive.

I was referring to CNG. Costs me 220 Baht to fill up from Empty, and can barely make it on that tank to central Bangkok if there is no traffic.

If I use Benzene 95 it costs me around 850-900 Baht for the same trip.

8 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I got the bus on Thursday Ekamai to Pattaya, three and a half hours, the Bus Stewardess said we stop for for 20 minutes at the Filling Station, it was less than 20 minutes from Pattaya, but invariably we had too wait to round up the stranglers so it was longer than 20 minutes.

i have done this journey recently, 2 hours non stop but in general two and a half hours.

This was the first time I have seen a Stewardess on the bus, she was telling everyone too put their seat belts on, 5000 baht fine she said if you get caught.

I had an identical trip last month.  Kind of strange.

16 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Why don't people know this by now? It's been protocol for the last 20 years.

This rule is just ridiculous, and blaming someone for doing it 1 time is plain stupid.

21 hours ago, Gracas said:

Taxis in BKK just on a local trip will stop to fill up, never understood why this could not be done when there is no passenger. But I'm sure there is a reason.

Taxi's fill up on the customers metered ride. It's a dumb Bangkok taxi driver that fills up on his own time which is reserved for eating and sleeping.

Look at this another way. If the driver stops for 15 minutesthen that's good. He or she is taking a break stretching there legs having a wee. If the same driver ploughed on and had an accident the thread would be disecting him. So what would you rather have 15 minutes break getting to your destination5 minutes later than you planned

Or not getting there at all you can't have it both ways. 

I think this thread is not about the driver taking a break (which is good) but about the need to stop for petrol during the 90 minute journey from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Now thinking about it, I think I got the most likely reason: Thinking about Pattaya, there is only petrol stations on Sukhumvit and to go from any van stops to the petrol station in between journeys would easily take another 30 minutes. I guess the same is the case for most places. These vans never go empty (without passengers), so there you have it.

4 minutes ago, wump said:

I think this thread is not about the driver taking a break (which is good) but about the need to stop for petrol during the 90 minute journey from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Now thinking about it, I think I got the most likely reason: Thinking about Pattaya, there is only petrol stations on Sukhumvit and to go from any van stops to the petrol station in between journeys would easily take another 30 minutes. I guess the same is the case for most places. These vans never go empty (without passengers), so there you have it.

Have anyone thought like I used to do whilst PCV ING. I always used the same garage to fill up on way to home based.  20 minutes away from final drop off. Made more sense to fill up then for the next days tour. Or maybe the drivers company has a tab with a certain garage.

Edited by jeab1980

8 hours ago, abab said:

This rule is just ridiculous, and blaming someone for doing it 1 time is plain stupid.

Caps imply yelling and it also.hard to read. Mostly people that are unfamiliar or new to texing just don't know this. You don't write letters like that do you.

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

Caps imply yelling and it also.hard to read. Mostly people that are unfamiliar or new to texing just don't know this. You don't write letters like that do you.

Please explain got me baffled! He only used one cap at the beginning of his sentance which is correct!?

Is it possible that the LPG fueling stations are scattered about & not a plentiful in more populated/congested areas? I haven't noticed many in densely populated areas....

After noticing the first time out that the fuel filler line was under the hood directly above a hot engine within 12-15" of an impact area; I've only gone on 1 other (when no alternate choice existed).....

I did wonder why they stopped 1:15 into a 1:40 minute trip....

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Taxi's fill up on the customers metered ride. It's a dumb Bangkok taxi driver that fills up on his own time which is reserved for eating and sleeping.

I had it happen a few times,i had to pay for the fuel because the driver had no money.

No big deal to me.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Please explain got me baffled! He only used one cap at the beginning of his sentance which is correct!?

I never saw the original text as the mod removed it but did give a warning.

I was assuming that the whole text was in upper case.

23 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Yes.   However the "Caps" increases the cost of postage because of the extra weight of  the ink.  I don't do "texing" like that though.

So far nobody seems (I think) to have addressed the 'elephant-in-the-room' question.

For nearly 20 years I have been catching the Ekamai- Pattaya North bus and it has NEVER stopped for refueling.

But now since the start of this year  most buses (admittedly not all but many) stop to gas up with CNV (compressed natural gas) about 10 km from Pattaya.

What's going on? (Because if I understood why it would probably not p*** me off so much).

On 22/04/2017 at 1:34 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes, it is ridiculous, but this is Thailand, land of stupidity. even the big buses from Ekamai and Morchit have started stopping not long before they reach Pattaya bus station to fuel up.

I have now stopped using them because of this, and now take the train to Swampy, then get a bus to Pattaya, yes it is a little more expensive, and takes a little longer, but I'm not in a hurry anyway. To me it is about the principle.

I need to do this trip soon.  A few questions please.

What bus company and what level do you get the bus from?

And how much is the bus to Pattaya? Where  do they drop you off?

1 hour ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I need to do this trip soon.  A few questions please.

What bus company and what level do you get the bus from?

And how much is the bus to Pattaya? Where  do they drop you off?

The pick up point is on the ground floor, there are two buses, one will take you to your hotel, but you have to book online, the other has three stops, and runs every hour, fare is around 120 Bt, the last stop is in Jomtein, I cannot remember the names or numbers of the buses, I have only done the trip once.

I very rarely have this problem with big bus or taxi. I remember only once a big (local bus in Bangkok) bus stopped for petrol, and once a taxi driver stopped for a pee. But those vans Bkk-Pty stop every time.

On 23.4.2017 at 7:42 AM, jeab1980 said:

Look at this another way. If the driver stops for 15 minutesthen that's good. He or she is taking a break stretching there legs having a wee. If the same driver ploughed on and had an accident the thread would be disecting him. So what would you rather have 15 minutes break getting to your destination5 minutes later than you planned

Or not getting there at all you can't have it both ways. 

I could understand if it was halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya (but even then, I wouldn't need that stop), but a 15 minutes stop, 15 minutes before reaching the destination?

The most plausible reason so far is: rather waste all passengers' time than doing a re-fuelling trip with an empty van.

Edited by ChristianPFC

48 minutes ago, ChristianPFC said:

I very rarely have this problem with big bus or taxi. I remember only once a big (local bus in Bangkok) bus stopped for petrol, and once a taxi driver stopped for a pee. But those vans Bkk-Pty stop every time.

I could understand if it was halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya (but even then, I wouldn't need that stop), but a 15 minutes stop, 15 minutes before reaching the destination?

The most plausible reason so far is: rather waste all passengers' time than doing a re-fuelling trip with an empty van.

As I said it may be that the van or the company has a contract with said petrol station

15 mins delay and getting there in one piece that's got to be worth 15mins of anyone's time!

• 2 months later...

On my last two trips (May and Jul 2017), the bus (from Bangna-Trat bus station; it seems all buses from Ekkamai and Southern Bus station stop there, in both cases there were only one or two seats lef, to North Pattaya bus station) the bus did not stop on the way.

And return to Bangkok, van didn't stop for petrol (however when asking the driver nicely, he let me and other passengers out at ARL Ladkrabang or in Din Daeng - I stay in Sathorn and going to Mor Chit would be a detour).

Edited by ChristianPFC

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, jamie2009 said:

but invariably we had too wait to round up the stranglers

Good to see the charabanc waiting on the Stranglers for a change.  Don't want them to be stuck there the whole summer, that would be a bummer.