Low season kickoff....40 THB Large U BEER

KhonKaenKowboy

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

For those who haven't had U Beer, I suggest you try it before committing to 24.  I've had one, I have no intentions of having another.

If I remember correctly U Beer is made by the same fine people who produce Chang. 

No, it's a Singha beer, but agree with the suggestion to try just one first. Peoples tastes vary .

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

For those who haven't had U Beer, I suggest you try it before committing to 24.  I've had one, I have no intentions of having another.

If I remember correctly U Beer is made by the same fine people who produce Chang. 

yep. 

its like having sex in a canoe . 

f..king close to water .

24 for 960, before 19:00, 1080 after.  5 for 330...Nimman Soi 11.

I don't get it. Is this the price at some 7-Eleven or shop? Is there a shop on Soi 11 in Nimmanhaemin called Nimmanhaemin Soi 11? 

I've never heard of or seen U beer. 

No 711 on soi 11...and you can bet it is not Beer Republic....the soi is only 400 m long....have a look.  Anyhow, it is good that a Nimman place, or any other, realizes they need to try harder in the low season.  Leo, Chang, U....all kind of rooms.....but paying triple those prices won't make it any better....and you might just have a good time.

3 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

No, it's a Singha beer, but agree with the suggestion to try just one first. Peoples tastes vary .

Thanks for the correction.  Singha has succeeded in making a beer worse than Chang.  That must have been a challenge.

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I don't get it. Is this the price at some 7-Eleven or shop? Is there a shop on Soi 11 in Nimmanhaemin called Nimmanhaemin Soi 11? 

I've never heard of or seen U beer. 

Probably Dayli, a big open-air Thai restaurant/bar on Soi 11 near Thanon Sirimangkalajarn.  It's a popular place, usually few or no foreigners, with good Thai food.  It's rare for anyone to go there just to drink, most people have a meal or snacks with their beer, though they sometimes stay for quite a while after the food is finished and go through a lot of beer.  It usually has a few pretties, but not a lot.

I like it, but it's the kind of place you go to with friends.  They have a partial menu in English, but the full menu is in Thai.  Not a popular destination for solo bar-hopping.

U-beer is new.  I noticed it in Tops, and it's probably in other shops.  I don't like it so I don't look for it.

1 hour ago, Rotweiler said:

Against my better judgement, I had one yesterday.  No, it doesn't taste either like Singha or Chang.  Does taste a lot like the mass-market US beers.

It's been a while since I've had "mass-market US beers", but I don't recall them being as bad as U beer.  I'm not praising the US mass-market beers; I find them bland to mildly unpleasant, while U beer is offensive.

BTW, the US has so many craft beers now that you can choose from dozens in supermarkets.  They cost more than Budweiser, but are worth the extra expense.  Unfortunately I've never seen them in Thailand, and they would be ridiculously expensive if they were.  There is an outrageous import tax that protects Singha and Chang breweries from competition, allowing them to dominate the market with overpriced beer of low quality.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

It's been a while since I've had "mass-market US beers", but I don't recall them being as bad as U beer.  I'm not praising the US mass-market beers; I find them bland to mildly unpleasant, while U beer is offensive.

BTW, the US has so many craft beers now that you can choose from dozens in supermarkets.  They cost more than Budweiser, but are worth the extra expense.  Unfortunately I've never seen them in Thailand, and they would be ridiculously expensive if they were.  There is an outrageous import tax that protects Singha and Chang breweries from competition, allowing them to dominate the market with overpriced beer of low quality.

Not only the tax thing but I see some Microsoft like business practices lime telling bars they can't sell Tiger/Heineken if they want to get best price on truckloads of elephant piss.  And notice how many only sell the elephant.  I had 4000 beers to choose from in the land of Budweiser...not loyal to any of them.  Would not put ice in any of the 4000, that I do know.

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Not only the tax thing but I see some Microsoft like business practices lime telling bars they can't sell Tiger/Heineken if they want to get best price on truckloads of elephant piss.  And notice how many only sell the elephant.  I had 4000 beers to choose from in the land of Budweiser...not loyal to any of them.  Would not put ice in any of the 4000, that I do know.

That explains why it is so hard to find Thai bars that sell Tiger.  I make the effort to find these bars; Tiger isn't great beer, but I consider it much more palatable than anything Singha or Chang make.

Tiger is not great, but clearly better than Chang/Leo.  For now, Tops KSK may be your best bet for Tigers and drinking in general.  I am voting with my wallet.  And you will see some bars that sell Heineken (same company as Tiger), but not have Tiger and that is because they will set the price of Heineken high and hardly sell any, while the Tiger is a clear threat to the piss empire.

There is a growing Thai craft beer market. Some excellent IPA's 

Great place in Chiang Dao. English sign.

Not cheap, just high quality beer and good food also.

you can bet it is not Beer Republic

I don't think anyone has actually come out and named what place this thread is about, for some strange reason. 

I would not bet on any place, since I have never been on Soi 11 in that area, so for those of us who don't already know, it might be helpful if you just named names. 

I have drunk U beer on several occasions and quite like it. My usual tipple is Leo, and U beer is a decent alternative imho... It's certainly not a wonderful beer, but I personally prefer it over Chang, Singha, or Heineken - the other commonly available beers. 

My friends are mostly of the same opinion; not everyone hates it - but then we are not bitter old curmudgeons... ?

On 4/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, heybruce said:

I agree.  The craft beers in the states are some of the best beers I've had.  The west coast is full a fine brew pubs.

It truly is a shame that thais can't make a living from being craft brewers and selling their products.  It's a shame the 2 major breweries here have that protection.

I try like hell not to drink nasty thai beer.  When the imports beers go up more in price, I'll either quit drinking or move out of thailand.  One should be able to enjoy a good beer, life's too short not to.

I agree.  The craft beers in the states are some of the best beers I've had.  The west coast is full a fine brew pubs.
It truly is a shame that thais can't make a living from being craft brewers and selling their products.  It's a shame the 2 major breweries here have that protection.

I try like hell not to drink nasty thai beer.  When the imports beers go up more in price, I'll either quit drinking or move out of thailand.  One should be able to enjoy a good beer, life's too short not to.

My Beer Friend, who were until recently a local illegal microbrewer, are just about to open a brew pub in Chiang Mai. Some of their brews are seriously good and I hope the venture is a big success.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

On 29/04/2017 at 10:39 AM, Nowisee said:

Give Namton's House Bar a try for imported and Thai craft beers. On the CM - Lamphun Rd near Gymkhana. Check reviews on Facebook, Trip Advisor and here https://www.ratebeer.com/p/namtons-house-bar-chiang-mai/51514/143150/

On 4/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, JaseTheBass said:

My Beer Friend, who were until recently a local illegal microbrewer, are just about to open a brew pub in Chiang Mai. Some of their brews are seriously good and I hope the venture is a big success.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Let me know where and when.

Thanks

Archived