Cyclists’ tunnel opens in Northeast

rooster59

Cyclists’ tunnel opens in Northeast

By THAWEE APISAKULCHAT
THE SUNDAY NATION

7e6efa1ec930f27e517f216525373740.jpeg

The country’s first bicycle tunnel in Nakhon Phanom. Photo courtesy of the Social Development and Human Security Ministry

TOURISM and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul and Social Development and Human Security Minister Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew led 3,000 cyclists in a ride yesterday morning to inaugurate the country’s first bicycle tunnel as a new attraction in Nakhon Phanom province.

As part of the excursion, they first cycled from the Phaya Srisattanagaraj Plaza along the Mekong River towards the 303-metre-long Naga tunnel, enjoying the northeastern province’s cultural and historical landmarks, before the two ministers presided over the tunnel-opening ceremony. 

The group, which included provincial governor Somchai Witdamrong, then moved onto the third Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge and made a U-turn back to the starting point to complete the 30-kilometre journey. The three-metre-wide, |concrete-paved Naga tunnel is part of a planned 60-kilometre cycling route between the third Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge (Nakhon Phanom-Khammoun) and Wat Phra That Phanom, aimed at boosting the province’s tourism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313059

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-23

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Looks a lot like a bridge.

When reporting on a tunnel, a reporter might mention what the tunnel goes under or through. Here we only get to know who arrived to get the credit,

Yes. I saw it last week. It is a covered bridge. I also saw plenty of people using the cycle path in the evening despite the fact that sections of it are blocked by parked cars and motorcycles.

4 hours ago, Ombra said:

Yes. I saw it last week. It is a covered bridge. I also saw plenty of people using the cycle path in the evening despite the fact that sections of it are blocked by parked cars and motorcycles.

Yes. They dont seem to do anything about people regularly parking and blocking the path along the river front, especially in the evening. Also when there is a festival or some event which seems to be almost nearly every other week on the main promenade near the Naga, they allow stallholders, stage erectors, etc., to totally disregard and block the cycle path and no diversion signs and routes with protection from traffic are provided. This is actually very dangerous when cycling North since a one-way traffic system has been introduced here and when the path is blocked cyclists are forced to cycle  against 2 lanes of oncoming traffic to stay on the route. It is also completely blocked from late afternoon for 3 days a week for a 'Walking Street' market.

I really dont think this 'tunnel' was meant to be a tourist attraction. It is on the very outskirts of NKP and is a security measure as the bike path passes through the perimeter of a Thai naval border patrol base. It is also fitted with CCTV cameras.

I also think there will be a problem for cyclists riding through this metal cage after the many showers during the rainy season........I think they will be dripped upon profusely and this will get increasingly pleasant as it rusts over time!

Edited by SunsetT

On 23/4/2560 at 5:04 PM, SunsetT said:

Yes. They dont seem to do anything about people regularly parking and blocking the path along the river front, especially in the evening. Also when there is a festival or some event which seems to be almost nearly every other week on the main promenade near the Naga, they allow stallholders, stage erectors, etc., to totally disregard and block the cycle path and no diversion signs and routes with protection from traffic are provided. This is actually very dangerous when cycling North since a one-way traffic system has been introduced here and when the path is blocked cyclists are forced to cycle  against 2 lanes of oncoming traffic to stay on the route. It is also completely blocked from late afternoon for 3 days a week for a 'Walking Street' market.

You're right. For a couple of hundred yards north of the immigration office, the cycle path is unusable. The southern section is pretty good, though, if you have the courage to ride on the narrow strip that goes past the 'View Khong Hotel' (?). Thanks for the information about the naval base and the covered bridge.

What a complete and utter waste of money, where I live they are building a stupid cycle lane from Loei to Wangsaphung, another crazy waste of resources, I have seen one cycle in about 6 months!!!!!! clearly a good earner for someone, how about repairing all the rural roads which are a general disgrace?

5 hours ago, Ombra said:

You're right. For a couple of hundred yards north of the immigration office, the cycle path is unusable. The southern section is pretty good, though, if you have the courage to ride on the narrow strip that goes past the 'View Khong Hotel' (?). Thanks for the information about the naval base and the covered bridge.

North of the tunnel is exceptionally pleasant. Quite a few restaurants have opened along there where you can sit right on the river.

I reckon in the future they will put a roof on the tunnel. Everything is trial and error in Thailand....lol

Edited by SunsetT

A few months ago, my wife heard about those restaurants on the river bank, and I agree with you. It is very relaxing to eat there, and the place we chose served good fish and very fresh vegetables.

I can offer a restaurant recommendation in return. A couple of hundred yards south of the immigration office is a new set of traffic lights by the SME Bank. If you turn into that soi, the second or third building on the left is a small restaurant, and the chef is a man who formerly worked in top class hotels in Bangkok, among other places. He offers a small selection of western dishes at modest prices. He told me that he had to change his recipes when he came here because his local customers wanted much more salt in their food than he had been in the habit of using, but he will  adapt any recipe if he knows that the customer is a westerner.

On 26/04/2017 at 5:24 AM, Ombra said:

A few months ago, my wife heard about those restaurants on the river bank, and I agree with you. It is very relaxing to eat there, and the place we chose served good fish and very fresh vegetables.

I can offer a restaurant recommendation in return. A couple of hundred yards south of the immigration office is a new set of traffic lights by the SME Bank. If you turn into that soi, the second or third building on the left is a small restaurant, and the chef is a man who formerly worked in top class hotels in Bangkok, among other places. He offers a small selection of western dishes at modest prices. He told me that he had to change his recipes when he came here because his local customers wanted much more salt in their food than he had been in the habit of using, but he will  adapt any recipe if he knows that the customer is a westerner.

Yes....I think this is the best restaurant for Western food in NKP.. I know it as "Ruan Maree" .....'Restaurant Meh Ree' . They are a lovely friendly old couple and, as you say, he is so obliging.  Im averse to too much salt but have never found his Western food too salty so I think it must just be the Thai food he has had to adjust.

Do you know the name,of the place u had the good fish at? Or say where it was located please?

I'm sorry that I haven't answered sooner, but my wife has been away visiting relatives. The restaurant that we went to by the river is in the area that you referred to - north of the naval base. We turned right off the road to Tha Uthen and saw a number of restaurants along by the river. I think that the one we chose was the last as we drove south, and it is called Rim Keuan (or Edge of the Dam). I thought that the food was good and plentiful, and we paid less than 300 baht for the two of us. I hope that you enjoy it.