Educational institutions asked to foster integrity, ethics among children

webfact

PNSOC600423001000604.jpg

PATHUM THANI, 24 April 2017 (NNT) – The Ministry of Education has instructed educational institutions to instill an understanding of ethics, honesty, and integrity in Thai children. 

Speaking at a seminar entitled “Thai Education Towards 4.0 Era,” Deputy Education Minister, ML Panadda Diskul said schools serve as second homes where children spend most of their time away from parents; therefore, teachers play a major role in students’ future. Teachers are tasked with teaching youngsters the value of ethics, honesty, fairness, respect, trustworthiness, and most important of all self-sufficiency. 

ML Panadda said these ethical values not only help children succeed in their endeavors but also purify their minds and protect the society against evil. 

The effort is part of the Ministry of Education’s “Ethical School” project. 

The seminar took place at Asia Airport Hotel in Pathum Thani province and was attended by school executives and teachers.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-24

Really?

Once again the concept of a Thai boss pointing the finger at a vacant lot and saying, "Build a house there!"

And the employee saying, "Where is the lumber and the tools?" 

And the Thai boss saying, "That's your problem...figure it out."

If they are going to demand such a thing they should actually give a game plan to the teachers and not just say what they want us to do. Moreover, if you can't do it yourself don't ask others to do it.

If they wish to teach reading and writing with such content, that is fine, so long as it is not filled with state sponsored propaganda .  It is difficult enough to teach reading, writing and arithmetic without adding things they should learn at home.  Self-sufficiency would be not relying on the government teach morals. 

Believe it or not, most teachers are teaching youngsters the value of ethics, honesty, fairness, respect, trustworthiness, cooperation and so on.........

The problem is, what it is done at school everyday it is undone at home

Everyday........

Everyday........

Everyday........

It's an awful long time ago, but as best I recall, I learned these values at home and took them to school with me.

'Give me a child until he is seven, and I'll show you the man'. Aristotle wasn't it?

Still scrounging for legitimacy, I see. Of course students need the right to point out and fight back against unethical practices in schools as well as the freedom to participate in helping define what good ethics are so that they can actually improve over the next generation in a society where they are sorely lacking.

Fat chance, however. It's going to be more "shut up and do as I say," because it's only about coercion and control through the supposed rights of teachers and the educational establishment ( one of the most corrupt in the country) to judge the worthiness of students' souls to keep them on the defensive as they are rapidly losing legitimacy in the eyes if wider society because of incompetence, impunity, and unchecked corrupt practices.

Edited by debate101

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ML Panadda said these ethical values not only help children succeed in their endeavors but also purify their minds and protect the society against evil.

You have to be kidding. Welcome to China/North Korea. I think they mean brainwash. How about protecting society against the evils of corruption.

Edited by dinsdale

oh sure, this is an easy one.

ethics and social responsibility can be culled into simple phrases that can be rote memorized.

that'll work.

now explain to me, a little off topic I guess... what anyone would do with one million "ya ba" pills? in today's news from Pasang. I have absolutely no idea what a ya ba pill is..... and I don't need to know.... it's the "million" part that dumbfounds me. a million of anything... unless it's money.. is a big amount... is it not?

a million pills..... in one truck delivery? is used for what?

Edited by maewang99

stop trying to brainwash our children...let them think for themselves ,and know a bigger  world exsists outside Thailand, the only world these sad old pathetic minds can see...sawadee no crap

3 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Believe it or not, most teachers are teaching youngsters the value of ethics, honesty, fairness, respect, trustworthiness, cooperation and so on.........

The problem is, what it is done at school everyday it is undone at home

Everyday........

Everyday........

Everyday........

Yes, do what I say (and don't give regard to the money I paid to have this job)!!!!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Education has instructed educational institutions to instill an understanding of ethics, honesty, and integrity in Thai children. 

I have re read the article and I now see the idea. The key word I believe is "understanding." It is not important to actually have ethics, honesty or integrity, only that you understand what that imaginary concept is. They might get away with that, but actually instilling the virtues themselves is highly unlikely to happen swiftly.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

Teachers are tasked with teaching youngsters the value of ethics, honesty, fairness, respect, trustworthiness

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Parent's job.

Teachers can reinforce, but has to come from home first.

What hope when most parents seem to abdicate parenthood to some elderly relative who has even less interest in the child's 'ethics, honesty, and integrity' than the parents themselves.

57 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What hope when most parents seem to abdicate parenthood to some elderly relative who has even less interest in the child's 'ethics, honesty, and integrity' than the parents themselves.

That may be the case in some circumstances, but the fact is teachers cannot reinforce these things if they are not taught at home.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

That may be the case in some circumstances, but the fact is teachers cannot reinforce these things if they are not taught at home.

Before it can be taught in the home it has to be reinforced at school first, it might take a generation but it has to start somewhere.  Also, its not unusual for parents to learn via what their children are learning at school, especially in less developed countries.

14 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Before it can be taught in the home it has to be reinforced at school first, it might take a generation but it has to start somewhere.  Also, its not unusual for parents to learn via what their children are learning at school, especially in less developed countries.

Sorry, but  these things need to start at home.

Teachers can preach them all they want but if the home influence is contrary to them, in the vast majority of cases, they will counter what the teacher says.

especially with younger children-primary.

Edited by Bluespunk

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Sorry, but  these things need to start at home.

Teachers can preach them all they want but if the home influence is contrary to them, in the vast majority of cases, they will counter what the teacher says.

especially with younger children-primary.

Sorry, but there are plenty of examples of children going on to achieve academically, despite the fact they had a shit home life with zero support, ...simply because they got what they needed at school, especially with younger children-primary ....who are more open to learning.

According to you, if a kid has a shit home life there is no point of them going to school because they won't learn anything?

Edited by onthesoi

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So, am I led to believe that to date it doesn't exist?

A work in progress. If kids take the viewpoint they see at home they ultimately come to the conclusion that hard work is for suckers.