Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says could suspend Syria air strikes if elected

webfact

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says could suspend Syria air strikes if elected

REUTERS

r4.jpg

Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, speaks to the public during an election campaign visit in the centre of Crewe April 22, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates

LONDON (Reuters) - The leader of Britain's main opposition Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn said on Sunday he could suspend British involvement in air strikes against Syria if he was elected prime minister at a June 8 election.

The veteran peace campaigner, whose Labour Party is around 20 points behind the ruling Conservatives in opinion polls, set out his position on a range of security and foreign policies, saying he would look again at Britain's nuclear deterrent and was against using nuclear weapons.

His comments were pounced upon by the Conservatives, who said that Corbyn posed a threat to British security and was the best reason "for sticking with the strong leadership of (Prime Minister) Theresa May".

Corbyn told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that he believed that "the only solution in Syria is going to be a political one".

"I want us to say 'Listen, let's get people around the table quickly' and a way of achieving that - suspending the strikes, possibly."

The leftist leader, whose views on foreign policy have often been at odds with those held by other lawmakers in his party, also said he would have to consider whether he would authorise a drone strike against the leader of Islamic State to limit civilian casualties.

May, who said she had called the early election to shore up support for her divorce plan with the European Union and heal divisions in the country, looks set to win a large majority, with some polls putting support for her party at 50 percent.

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; editing by Jason Neely)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-24

Many in the Labour movement will be hoping the end is near for Corbyn. I do respect his steadfast refusal to be a lapdog to U.S. interests. He is right about political solutions being the best option; Northern Ireland being a prime example. I don't see him holding hands with Donald Trump anytime soon. He is a man of principle and; regardless of their political viewpoint; we could do with a few more in the UK.

1 minute ago, champers said:

Many in the Labour movement will be hoping the end is near for Corbyn. I do respect his steadfast refusal to be a lapdog to U.S. interests. He is right about political solutions being the best option; Northern Ireland being a prime example. I don't see him holding hands with Donald Trump anytime soon. He is a man of principle and; regardless of their political viewpoint; we could do with a few more in the UK.

"He is a man of principle".

Not always.

i.e. he became a politician (:sick:) when it came to brexit.

He said he would keep nuclear weapons but he would never use them, what sort of deterrent is that? Nice to see he is keeping John McDonald and the lovely Diane Abbott under wraps, they are a bigger embarressment than he is. Labour Party RIP.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Corbyn will never be elected, so no need to worry about suspending Syrian airstrikes.

The poor deluded man lives in la-la land, not the real world.

I seem to remember similar words 6 months ago, be careful and take nothing for granted!

"Corbyn Trump will never be elected, so no need to worry about suspending Syrian airstrikes.

The poor deluded man lives in la-la land, not the real world."

Edited by Andaman Al

1 hour ago, champers said:

Principles you say ?

Corbyn has simply single mindedly stuck to a set of ideaologies , many of which were soundly rejected by the electotate 35 years ago when Foot was crushed.

See how principled he becomes when one of sacred cows are threatened .Terrorists are soundly defended yet those who oppose them are Imperialistic stormtroopers in Corbyns blinkered mind.

He is not a man of principle , he is a political dinnosaur who shames ordinary working class , Labour voters.

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Is it his desire/intent to keep Labour in the wilderness for a generation rather than just a couple of terms? Seems so.

He's not a vote catcher or seemingly a vote chaser. He won't dilute or change his views to win votes. 

Those that back him are similar minded but are never likely to win an election.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Principles you say ?

Corbyn has simply single mindedly stuck to a set of ideaologies , many of which were soundly rejected by the electotate 35 years ago when Foot was crushed.

See how principled he becomes when one of sacred cows are threatened .Terrorists are soundly defended yet those who oppose them are Imperialistic stormtroopers in Corbyns blinkered mind.

He is not a man of principle , he is a political dinnosaur who shames ordinary working class , Labour voters.

He's principled in that he won't prostitute himself to others for votes or change his cherished beliefs. That does make him a bit different from the majority of politicians who'd quiet happily sell their own grannies!

The fact most people don't share his views and ideologies means he won't win voters.

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I seem to remember similar words 6 months ago, be careful and take nothing for granted!

"Corbyn Trump will never be elected, so no need to worry about suspending Syrian airstrikes.

The poor deluded man lives in la-la land, not the real world."

Very true Al. Ask David Cameron - he took something for granted too!

There is a lot of backlash against the Tories, LibDems are a joke, fringe parties chasing some one dimensional agenda. Stranger things have happened. But it would be very very strange for UK voters to suddenly support Corbyn in the numbers and areas required for victory.

Could be a hung parliament 

(Always thought of volunteering for that job - I can tie the knot correctly!)

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

There is a lot of backlash against the Tories, LibDems are a joke, fringe parties chasing some one dimensional agenda. Stranger things have happened. But it would be very very strange for UK voters to suddenly support Corbyn in the numbers and areas required for victory.

I was offered a job in a well hung parliament once but was too busy.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, talking of hung parliaments, maybe Corbyn could be suspended? Do we still have lamp posts? 

Seriously, he is doing the country a major disservice. The country MUST have credible opposition.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

He's principled in that he won't prostitute himself to others for votes or change his cherished beliefs. That does make him a bit different from the majority of politicians who'd quiet happily sell their own grannies!

The fact most people don't share his views and ideologies means he won't win voters.

Extremists of the Left or Right always claim they are principled, but that is because their arguments are so detached from the real world there is no-one to compromise with. On top of that their 'cherished beliefs' amount to no more than destruction of the economy and Dear Jeremy, coming from an Orthodox Trotskyist background is no different whatsoever. And please spare us from the nonsensical claims of innocence and purity. Corbyn isn't going to fight anybody except the moderates in the Labour Party.

Edited by SheungWan

Corbyn is a principled, civilised, man.  His answer to every issue is to sit and talk it out.  Unfortunately, he is completely unable to comprehend that talking doesn't work with barbarians - they smile and nod while still planning atrocities and sniggering at your weakness. 

Fortunately he's un-electable, otherwise Britain would be in trouble.

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

Seriously, he is doing the country a major disservice. The country MUST have credible opposition.

I'm trying to imagine what exactly a credible opposition would look like if not JC?

Labour making a huge shift to the right to match the tories would win them more votes ...but then, that is not an opposition.

Opposition has the same root as opposite and that's almost exactly JC ...don't forget the sole reason JC is the leader of the Labour party is because centre right Ed Miliband crashed and burned in the GE.

Edited by onthesoi

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Corbyn is a principled, civilised, man.  His answer to every issue is to sit and talk it out.  Unfortunately, he is completely unable to comprehend that talking doesn't work with barbarians - they smile and nod while still planning atrocities and sniggering at your weakness. 

Fortunately he's un-electable, otherwise Britain would be in trouble.

Doing nothing and talking something to death is neither principled or civilised in essence. It is just another political position currently dressed up as red lipstick on a dead pig.

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

I'm trying to imagine what exactly a credible opposition would look like if not JC?

Labour making a huge shift to the right to match the tories would win them more votes ...but then, that is not an opposition.

Opposition has the same root as opposite and that's almost exactly JC ...don't forget the sole reason JC is the leader of the Labour party is because centre right Ed Miliband crashed and burned in the GE.

Failure of imagination is not exactly an advert for Jeremy Corbyn. Ed Miliband was the left-wing candidate. It was his brother who was the centre-right candidate. Please at least get that right. Ed didn't know what to do and now is forgotten as if he never happened. So anyway, here's Corbyn's credible principled positions on Brexit:

1. Opposition to EU. Supports Out.

2. Supports Remain.

3. Supports Remain but Not Very Much.

4. Opposes Brexit But Not Actually.

.....and that folks is your Leader of the Labour Party. You really think anybody is listening seriously to what he has to say on Syria or anything else much for that matter?

Edited by SheungWan

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Failure of imagination is not exactly an advert for Jeremy Corbyn. Ed Miliband was the left-wing candidate. It was his brother who was the centre-right candidate. Please at least get that right. Ed didn't know what to do and now is forgotten as if he never happened. So anyway, here's Corbyn's credible principled positions on Brexit:

1. Opposition to EU. Supports Out.

2. Supports Remain.

3. Supports Remain but Not Very Much.

4. Opposes Brexit But Not Actually.

.....and that folks is your Leader of the Labour Party. You really think anybody is listening seriously to what he has to say on Syria or anything else much for that matter?

I see you misunderstood my post, I was saying if JC isn't 'opposition(to the Tories)' then what exactly would an opposition look like?

I also never claimed anyone listened to him, so please put the strawman away.

Try to understand what is being said before responding ..lest your response be non sequitur.

Ed Miliband left wing? ...ROFL!!!!!!!  ...meanwhile back on planet Earth:  apart from JC the last left wing leader of the labour party was John Smith back in 1994.

Edited by onthesoi

They sacrificed the working class vote to chase the middle class and lovies. Big error. Most of my old mates are not interested causes. Put poor Brits before foreign aid. You might get their vote.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk