Laptop Not booting

Forkinhades

Long story short.

Laptop will not boot. Rescue does not work. Safe Mode not work.

I need to recover some files...... ( was using Dropbox, but sync was not working).

Have not tried to reinstall yet, as I want to try and recover files first. If reinstall is my only option, will I get the chance to make a new partition then try and recover the files.?

Thinking of booting from USB, and try to recover that way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sounds like you have/had a Windows OS on the laptop.

Booting with the installation DVD or USB stick would be first try.

In Windows 7 there was a repair option from the installation media.

Don't really remember the details.

Another option would be disassembling/removing the hard disk from the laptop.

Get an appropriate adapter to connect the disk via USB to another computer. Adapter should not cost a fortune or you know someone who can lend one.

USB / SATA adapter.

Yeah maybe, I did say if cannot boot, then need to recover some files.
Ho Hum. Have to wait and see.
Did previously go to Lenovo forums, but with no joy.
Looked in Bios and boot from USB is 'greyed out'. Only upside is that I have a paper copy of the document I need. Might take me few days to get the info back into the program. Figured it was more cost effective to let them haves go.

Note to self. CHECK CLOUD STORAGE!!!!

Always have a Linux disc handy for rescue work; you learn lots (not least how fake MS is - for example, there are NO fonts in the Windows fonts folder, it's fake!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ok, though I suspect USB boot is most likely disabled by setting secure/Fast boot or UEFI for windows...

Definitely take a look, a cheap 4GB stick can be created not any as a live Linux disk, you can actually install Linux to a USB disk so that anything you install or use when running on the disc is saved for the next session.

I just used a USB disk with testdisk to recover data from a 2 TB disk. It did take a very long time, but I am sure that any shop recovering such data would have charged a few thousand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Forkinhades said:

Edit

Ok, though I suspect USB boot is most likely disabled by setting secure/Fast boot or UEFI for windows...

Yes I need to further investigate this ?

When you brought it to a shop it seems to be the norm that they put on usually  W 8, of course a copy with very fishy Chinese applications on it.

If you can get it back it would be easy to tell you what to do to keep your W 10. But if they've already changed the OS you might have lost all on your drive c.

Files on drive D  ( or other drive letters) should be fine and untouched).

You should know that once the PC was activated with a digital license, you'll not lose that and even after getting your notebook back you should be able to put a downloaded iso file via DVD on it. Just skip the "insert key" part and you'll be fine.

P.S. There are some good programs out there where you can get deleted files back. 

Edited by Jamesinlos

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

Often one can just remove the drive and place it into a 200 baht external caddy.

Agree, failing to get a live linux to boot, that would be the way I would go as well.

Quick note to those that are suggesting recovery software. Yes, there are good ones out there but if you don't know what you are doing, or are trying different software to recover, every time you try for a recovery, the less chance you will have of getting your data back on further runs if that didn't succeed. Be careful!

Got phonecall from repair shop 'Mr Cannot'. Said ok please do not format. Just take hard drive out. So now in possession of my slim 2.5 hd. So now on the lookout for a caddy to suit. Any recommendations?

Think I know why reset was not possible, as the machine has Windows 8 on SSD. So all the repair files would be Win 8.

Think I'm happier with hd in my possession.

after reading this thread and many other posts elsewhere regarding a USB recovery thumb drive I finally got off my arse and wiped one of the many thumb drives that I have lying around and used the Win 10 'create a recovery drive' feature...now so long as I can get into the BIOS at start up I'll be doin' OK if there's a problem...

Jack Schofield at The guardian UK also has a recent article that may be of interest...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2017/apr/20/windows-10-fix-pc-laptop-will-not-boot

he notes that many new laptops these days do not have removable hard drives...just like the lenovo 700 that I recently purchased...

2 hours ago, Forkinhades said:

Yeah will go to tukcom Pattaya today

JIB has outlets at Harbor and at CentralMarina now.

Some BIOS's won't show a boot from USB option, or won't let you change the boot order priority to the USB, unless there's a USB stick already sitting in a port.

Update.

Got myself a caddy, plugged it in, and got access to all my files, so happy days. Important ones have been sent to the cloud.

Just wondering if i can now actually save my old system, will be getting in touch Lenovo now, and see if they have any solutions, otherwise its back to win 8 ( which isnt a bad thing )

Is there a Legacy mode in your BIOS?   If so, be sure that is enabled.  It can still be set to boot from UEFI first but also have Legacy mode enabled which may allow the USB boot option to appear.

Is there a Legacy mode in your BIOS?   If so, be sure that is enabled.  It can still be set to boot from UEFI first but also have Legacy mode enabled which may allow the USB boot option to appear.

Will investigate this, but from memory I'm pretty sure I exhausted all possibilities.

15 hours ago, Forkinhades said:

Update.

Got myself a caddy, plugged it in, and got access to all my files, so happy days. Important ones have been sent to the cloud.

Just wondering if i can now actually save my old system, will be getting in touch Lenovo now, and see if they have any solutions, otherwise its back to win 8 ( which isnt a bad thing )

What's the full model number of this machine? Bought in the UK or Thailand?  Purchased with Windows 8 pre-installed and then upgraded to Windows 10?

You have the option of reinstalling 8 or 10, but since you can still access your files, it's entirely possible that you can repair the existing installation. But a clean install might be a good option.

Come back with the details.

8 hours ago, Forkinhades said:

Lenovo Yoga 2-1

Bought in UK with win 8.1

That is not a model number.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

Create bootable media with the Media Creation Tool or Rufus;

Windows 10 English International 32 bit

Windows 8.1 English International 32 bit

Either should auto activate with a clean install, but first you may wish to use the media to enter the Recovery Environment to attempt a repair.

So come back with a model number.