Pink ID Card for Foreigners

2 hours ago, al007 said:

Pink ID Card for Foreigners, I have heard this can be used to visit Laos, paying only the same low fee as Thais, and saving the Laos Visa cost

You seem to be writing about getting a 3 day border pass. As far as I know they are only available to Thai nationals.

You certainly would not be able to get a visa exempt entry.

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Technically, the pink ID card is only valid in the province in which it is issued. It is not recognized by either Thai or Lao immigration.

When you say immigration do you mean border immigration! 

I know for a fact KK immigration accept the ID card as proof for ID purposes. I can understand border immigration not allowing it to be used for a border pass for sure.

Used mine all over Thailand for various purposes ie hotels, bank withdrawal, hiring cars and many police check points.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

When you say immigration do you mean border immigration! 

I know for a fact KK immigration accept the ID card as proof for ID purposes. I can understand border immigration not allowing it to be used for a border pass for sure.

Used mine all over Thailand for various purposes ie hotels, bank withdrawal, hiring cars and many police check points.

I meant it is not recognized as a travel document by any immigration. A Thai ID card only enables Thai immigration to issue a separate, short-term temporary travel document that is accepted by Lao immigration. The pink ID card for foreigners does not afford this privilege.

I have used mine all over Thailand as well as a basic photo ID and it works well enough but it does have restrictions on other usage outside the province of issue such as applying for certain government services. I think it's also mentioned in the (Thai) small print on the back.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I meant it is not recognized as a travel document by any immigration. A Thai ID card only enables Thai immigration to issue a separate, short-term temporary travel document that is accepted by Lao immigration. The pink ID card for foreigners does not afford this privilege.

I have used mine all over Thailand as well as a basic photo ID and it works well enough but it does have restrictions on other usage outside the province of issue such as applying for certain government services. I think it's also mentioned in the (Thai) small print on the back.

Quite correct it does say similar to that on the back. I have used it once out of province for government related services and it worked well but I would agree anything major with them I only do in home settings and always use passport.

This pink card would be particularly useful in upcountry banks where foreigners are forced to show a real passport every time they make a transaction. Bank service upcountry is awful, where foreigners and locals are treated with disdain, implying that the banks are doing them a service by allowing them to open an account with them, not the other way around. Just look at the kitchy stuffed animals and plastic piggy banks you receive when you open a special account. 

Edited by keskeseksa
correction

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Technically, the pink ID card is only valid in the province in which it is issued. It is not recognized by either Thai or Lao immigration.

I think he's right. I tried to use my pink ID card when boarding a flight from Udon Thani to Phuket and it was refused.

Pink ID Card for Foreigners, I have heard this can be used to visit Laos, paying only the same low fee as Thais, and saving the Laos Visa cost

depends, obviously, on your nationality. if you are a national from an ASEAN country this may be acceptable, if not then it's unlikely as a passport would be required.

e.g. a thai could not cross an EU border showing and ID card, but another EU citizen could (except for UK citizens as they dont have ID cards)

I have one, and , yes it is useful. Don't need Certificate of residence any more etc. Get Thai price access to tourist sites, 

Can use it when booking into hotels etc etc .

as for travel, I don't think it can be used in place of a passport for travel etc. And I doubt you'll get free travel pass to Laos with it. 

1 hour ago, MosMing said:

I think he's right. I tried to use my pink ID card when boarding a flight from Udon Thani to Phuket and it was refused.

The OP is asking about entering Laos, a neighboring country.

Completely different from a domestic flight where it is about identification only.

That the pink card was not accepted for identification at the airport is not a big surprise.

It shows a silly misconception of the pink card:

your name is shown in Thai script only, but flight booking is only possible in roman letters.

Thai ID cards on the other hand show the transcript of the name on roman letters (which is used for booking).

Flight booking neither excepts Thai script nor Buddhist calendar.

38 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The OP is asking about entering Laos, a neighboring country.

Completely different from a domestic flight where it is about identification only.

That the pink card was not accepted for identification at the airport is not a big surprise.

It shows a silly misconception of the pink card:

your name is shown in Thai script only, but flight booking is only possible in roman letters.

Thai ID cards on the other hand show the transcript of the name on roman letters (which is used for booking).

Flight booking neither excepts Thai script nor Buddhist calendar.

When booking domestic flights, other than your name, no other ID is required.

I have used my ID card many times at check in at airports and hotels without any issues.

I know other expats who have done the same.

3 hours ago, Chicken George said:

I have a Pink ID card. It is of no use whatsoever. I could not even buy a contract for a phone with it using as ID. But i could with my Thai driving license.

You need a Yellow Tabien Baan book before you can apply for it. Your TM 30 must be upto date and your Puyai Baan must go to the Amphur with you to vouch for you. All the effort and has no use at all. Well no more than your Thai Driving license. So I would day no good for a border pass into Lao or anywhere else.

That's your areas decision on yellow book mine is quite diffrent it was easy. They do not need to know about tm30 in fact I would guess not many working group in amphoe would know what one is. Needed no  other than my wife with me. And I have used it hundreds of times all met with success. There are always two sides to a story.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

My doubt; I'm retired with Non Inmigrant OA, Must be married for get a pink ID?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You must obtain a Yellow Tabien Baan to obtain the ID card.

Your marital status has nothing to do with it.

If you rent, you need the permission and co-operation of your landlord to apply at your Amphur.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicken George said:

... Your TM 30 must be up to date ...

Really? Where?

It's already been discussed that amphurs and immigration share a mutual disregard of each others ID documentation. Since the TM30 fulfills solely an immigration requirement, why would an amphur want it updated and current?

3 hours ago, MosMing said:

Assuming that your pink card was issued in Phuket?

My Udon Thani issued pink ID card was OK for boarding domestic at Suvarnabhumi, U-Tapao and (naturally) Udon Thani.

You must obtain a Yellow Tabien Baan to obtain the ID card.
Your marital status has nothing to do with it.
If you rent, you need the permission and co-operation of your landlord to apply at your Amphur.

The official of Amphoe refused give me the yellow book, because he said I am not married. In a second visit to amphoe, with the owner of my rented house...all documents, blue book, my passport... He refused again.

Then I ask for a simple certificate of resident, and also refused.
I am in a serious trouble, because waiting for buy a car and new motorbike.

Now I feel pretty angry. Don't know the next step. Because I know I am in the right way.

Thanks detonian

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

The official of Amphoe refused give me the yellow book, because he said I am not married. In a second visit to amphoe, with the owner of my rented house...all documents, blue book, my passport... He refused again.

Now I feel pretty angry. Don't know the next step. Because I know I am in the right way.

Thanks detonian

Resident certificates are issued by immigration, not amphers. In fact it's often a requirement, the ampher want's a resident certificate from immigration to issue a yellow book.

Resident certificates are issued by immigration, not amphers. In fact it's often a requirement, the ampher want's a resident certificate from immigration to issue a yellow book.

Shock! Inmigration office and transportation office sent me to Amphoe for a resident certificate.

Playing a Ping Pong game, one month ago!

14 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Thanks detonian

The official is probably not so well informed.

Amphurs have been required to issue Tabien Baans to foreigner who apply and supply the required documents, which may vary from Amphur to Amphur.

Sometimes you need to take a stance and stand your ground or ask to speak to someone of a higher authority.

Of course it helps if you have something to back your position up.

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons. The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet. Registrations under paragraph one and two shall lie in the manner prescribed in the regulations under the discretion of the Director of Central Registration.”

Thai Civil Registration Act (2551) 2008..pdf

Note their is no mention of marital status attached to the conditions.

Where you applying at the main Provincial office or a smaller Amphur office?

9 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Shock! Inmigration office and transportation office sent me to Amphoe for a resident certificate.

Playing a Ping Pong game, one month ago!

Some Immigration offices will no longer issue Certificates of Residence.

Some Amphurs will issue them, although before I obtained my Tabien Baan, I obtained my C of R's from the local Police Station.

One to purchase a motorcycle, one to obtain my first Driving Licence.

Your Embassy can also issue a C of R, but costly.

If you need a sample copy of a C of R issued by a local Police Station, send me a PM.

• Like 2