Wooden furniture maker

Destiny1990

The one I had experience with wasn't so good ...there used to be lots of them all along that road...a few of them must have been ok and maybe still trade ?

Another place I know of is at Na-Jomtien on Sukhumvit heading towards Sattahip just before the Alangkarn theater

Cheap and cheerful, real wood but towards the lower end of quality.

I've used Jar furniture maker back in 2007 who did a reasonable job building me a kitchen

and was also cheap price.

He must be doing something right cos he's still trading at the same location, half 

way down Thepprasit heading towards the Suk on the right.

P.S

The owner Jar also knows builders and plumbers that he can refer you to.

Edited by sotsira

Visit My Thai opposite the Outlet Mall on Thepprasit. They specialize in teak but can do other types of wood to keep the costs down. Talk to the old man, he can design anything you want. Bring pictures and dimensions. 

Edited by ThaiBob

35 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Visit My Thai opposite the Outlet Mall on Thepprasit. They specialize in teak but can do other types of wood to keep the costs down. Talk to the old man, he can design anything you want. Bring pictures and dimensions. 

Nice advice thanks.

I'm following along with interest, as I'm also considering having some custom furniture pieces made.  Please keep the recommendations of specific shops coming.  Thepprasit Road fits my needs just fine, as I live nearby in Jomtien.

So far, Mai Thai seems hit or miss, and Jar gets one thumbs-up.

It's hard to make a recommendation because, in my experience, I've had shops do a good piece and then when I order something else, do a bad job.  When you order, be sure to put down the bare minimum of a deposit in case you don't like the result.  Stop in to check the work in progress--don't wait until it's done. 

Yes. That was exactly my experience. The first unit I ordered ( a recessed oak shelving unit for the bathroom ) looked good when it arrived. But the three stooges who arrived to fit it were clueless. After a couple of hours of little progress I called the boss. Shortly after another guy arrived who then took over the installation and did a reasonable job.

This was really a test piece. As is was okay I then ordered a bed head ( oak veneer / solid oak ) with built in side tables, a large "floating" wall unit and a built in wardrobe/drawer unit. 

A few weeks later the original three stooges arrived to fit it. I said, "no way" and called to request the better fitter. "He's left" was the reply but another guy was available. He duly arrived and took over. Neither of the three units was installed to a decent standard. I eventually refitted the wardrobe myself. They tightened the bedhead fixings too much causing it to bow with the wall ( I remidied that and replastered a section) The floating unit turned out okay but only after convincing them to affix batons to the wall and fix the unit to that from the unseen underside. Rather than their idea of screwing directly through the back panels veneer where you could see the screw heads :(They really thought it was okay to shoot panel pins through the finished veneer and then use a dark filler ( for teak I guess ) to "hide" the holes.. Hopeless.

Basically their skill level was worse than a 14 yr old doing CSE carpentry.

I'd really love to find a proper cabinet maker who could produce and fit high quality built in wood furniture. I found a guy in BKK making great modern tables from teak or oak but unfortunately that is all he does.

IMG_4402.thumb.JPG.19dccc1b64d80f7063ff973d36f169ce.JPG

I suggest trying the guy in the tent in the car park of BigC on Klang. His products do look fairly good. Not cheap but the quotes I got from him were still lower than those I got in the fancy places in Thepprasit, including Mai Thai.

Reliability and work ethic is always the problem in Thailand. Anyone who does a good job today is likely to do a crap one tomorrow, or indeed to disappear completely. As mentioned, you have to check every single thing yourself or it will probably be bodged.