How much do you pay to get a thai residence certificate ?

If you think 500 baht to get that certificate is expensive, you must realise that you can't afford to stay in that country.

Some people look for bank branches to avoid paying for the certificate.....

No wonder why the government are tightening the visas to their country

37 minutes ago, Los Luver said:

If you think 500 baht to get that certificate is expensive, you must realise that you can't afford to stay in that country.

The actual cost is completely irrelevant; it's a matter of principle.

Officials demanding money for something that is free is a crime in all civilised countries that I know of, and I suspect that it may be a crime even here. Either way, the fact that so many immigration offices demand it proves conclusively that Thailand is corrupt and not civilised.

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I have a car and 2 scooters and needed the certificate each time  to put them in my name.

So far Ive paid , 300 , nothing and 1000 for it.

The 'nothing' was when there was a big outcry and the boss of Phuket immigration came out and said it should be free and policed that.

1000 was after he was transferred.

I believe its 500 at Patong and perhaps free at Phuket Town at present.

Suggesting another branch to the OP is good advice.

The only short coming with a far off 'branch' I have found , is when I need a letter to extend my Retirement Visa , and the letter from the Bank about having deposited 800,000 baht has to be acquired from that Branch only.

Heaven help anyone who banks with K-Bank  and  transfers across the country  without closing their bank account before moving.

My K-Bank refuses to close any account without me physically present at the accounts Branch to do so.

As usual things vary between officers.I can get my letter from my local bank or the one opposite Immigration.

12 hours ago, noopin2014 said:

Finally, i have been to another Bankok Bank where the thai residence certificate wasn't required to open a new account. Thanks to everyone :smile:

Thats odd? Policy shouldn't differ from bank to bank? There must be some mistake.  :shock1:

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Likewise at Pathum Thani for me too.
500 baht for a residence certificate ( for DL ) but they did take my money with a smile emoji51.png

Same same Patong when I got one for change of bike ownership in January 500B, quired politely with them that is free? She asked senior officer on passport desk, quick discussion in thai then he said Mr is free, 500 baht for paperwork (Lol) same same Phuket town you go there if you want... I then asked for a receipt? no have! But yes very friendly BiG Thai smile...

Immigration purportedly charge nothing - though B500 is next to nothing. But they apparently take weeks to complete the process. The British Embassy - I obviously don't know your nationality - charge 50 GBP at a generous exchange rate, but the process is an hour or so.

do not forget you might need a thai 'sponsor' to be there with you when opening the account; this sponsor has no real influence over the account other than helping you open it; you can change sponsors later if needed; this is for bangkok bank; do not know the others

10 hours ago, khunano said:

it is supposed to be free. Just another example of corruption in this corrupt country which will never be stopped. Can you imagine how much money they must rake in at a big immigration office, such as Jomtien. 

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Officials demanding money for something that is free is a crime in all civilised countries that I know of, and I suspect that it may be a crime even here. Either way, the fact that so many immigration offices demand it proves conclusively that Thailand is corrupt and not civilised.

It might be free for Thai nationals. and that doesn't make it free for foreigners.

And that's news to who?

I am currently dealing with the Thai Army Anti-Corruption Dept who are insisting in bribe money, in order to do their jobs.

So exactly who should I complain to???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turned up at Kasikorn with 100,000 baht and my passport. Gave address in CM and phone number verbally,  no problem. I feel the requirement for a residence certificate is inversely proportional to the amount initially deposited.

On 26-4-2017 at 8:01 AM, Wallander4 said:

Worst Immigration in Thailand ( Chiang Mai ) want 500B also even tho sign state its for free ...

Go to another Bangkok Bank branch - I only had to show passport to open account there

If you'r not in a hurry it's for free. Look it up here 

13 hours ago, Los Luver said:

It might be free for Thai nationals. and that doesn't make it free for foreigners.

As far as I know this document is only used by farangs. The point is that all official immigration services have a listed fixed price and result in a receipt being issued. Only graft has no fixed amount and gets no receipt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

And that's news to who?

I am currently dealing with the Thai Army Anti-Corruption Dept who are insisting in bribe money, in order to do their jobs.

So exactly who should I complain to???

I dont know. Someone higher up in the military?

I'm just pointing out that this practice of charging for supposedly free services is entirely corrupt and uncivilised. Many people do not appreciate the true extent of corruption and deceit here, largely because it is all brushed under the carpet even by people who contribute to it. You can read several examples of that in this very topic. I simply think this is wrong and should be denounced whenever possible.

• Like 2

Seem to remember it being 100 baht originally at Jomptien. Since then I have paid 200 baht and in the last instance I think it was 300 baht. Pretty much done while you wait if you are lucky to go on a quieter day.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont know. Someone higher up in the military?

I'm just pointing out that this practice of charging for supposedly free services is entirely corrupt and uncivilised. Many people do not appreciate the true extent of corruption and deceit here, largely because it is all brushed under the carpet even by people who contribute to it. You can read several examples of that in this very topic. I simply think this is wrong and should be denounced whenever possible.

In your opinion of course. Personally if it makes my life easier and gets things done quicker I have no problem helping grease the wheels with a little tea money. Oh and before those of you who denounce tea money givers watch my lips I Don't Care.

Edited by jeab1980

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

... I'm just pointing out that this practice of charging for supposedly free services is entirely corrupt and uncivilised. Many people do not appreciate the true extent of corruption and deceit here, largely because it is all brushed under the carpet even by people who contribute to it. You can read several examples of that in this very topic. I simply think this is wrong and should be denounced whenever possible.

I should like to point out, that in my passport-country, everything is "by the book" - so we must hire "well-connected lawyers" instead of "well-connected agents" and then pretend this is somehow "less corrupt" than other countries.  It isn't.  It's just that the corruption has been converted to "official" corruption, and costs the citizen 10x more. 

I'll happily pay a small-fine at the side of the road for some small thing,  rather than a court-date with corrupt judges, fees for corrupt lawyers, fines for corrupt city-officials, plus corrupt-insurance-company rate increases.  And it isn't as if our cops in my passport-country are any more professional for all this "officialization of corruption" we have there - quite the opposite, in fact.

• Like 1

Can you tell me what is OK to use as proof of address? I live with my wife in her house. Thanks.

When I got the letter of residency from the amphur the wife just showed the tabein baan (blue book). I guess you could take along a utility bill or other letter with your name and address on it if your applying on your own.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Personally if it makes my life easier and gets things done quicker I have no problem helping grease the wheels with a little tea money.

Every year my retirement extension is renewed. I pay only the official fee for this (1900B) and it takes well under an hour to do, spread over two days. I also do my 90-day reporting in minutes for no charge. 

I fail to see why anyone should have to pay a variable bribe for other services when immigration are clearly capable of doing a proper job for the official fee when they want to.

I have nothing against them introducing a real official fee of a fixed and reasonable amount for providing this letter if they wish. Given that the retirement bank letter costs 100B from just about every bank, that seems like a reasonable price to pay for a residence certificate though of course even that is way over the top when calculated back into a percentage of the salary of the person doing it. The main point though is that the fee should be fixed and official, and not a bribe or graft.

Like many other illegal things, graft is simply wrong and no discussion or argument will ever make it right.

• Like 1