Thai police to review ways to take down online content after Facebook killing

webfact

20 hours ago, Prbkk said:

The family's point is well-made: their focus was on trying to prevent this hideousness and then on finding the victim rather than on deletion of the clip. For the rest of us, with lesser but still legitimate interest, the question becomes how to stop these psychos from using the readily available/accessible platform to be so repulsive. Facebook is a curse in many ways but it must be very difficult to limit these horror stories now that everyone seems to have an account ( 1 billion users according to someone on another thread). 

The problem is that shutting down live streams on Facebook would simply encourage the maniacs to use Youtube , Twitter or another platform. There needs to be industry wide safeguards but likely opposition will come because of censorship / freedom of speech concerns. 

There are analogies to be made with the gun control issue , just as many would claim ' guns dont kill ' , nor does social media .

or facebook (youtube as well) can be proactive and just stop live feeds altogether, instead of finding ways to review and take down content. the latter would require massive resources to accomplish real-time. i know there are many ways to stream live content but facebook has the largest audience share globally. the only responsible thing for zuckerberg to do is to stop the FB live altogether.

1 hour ago, irwinfc said:

or facebook (youtube as well) can be proactive and just stop live feeds altogether, instead of finding ways to review and take down content. the latter would require massive resources to accomplish real-time. i know there are many ways to stream live content but facebook has the largest audience share globally. the only responsible thing for zuckerberg to do is to stop the FB live altogether.

Great idea but that would hit profit margins so its a non starter. 

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

And, as per the OP title about ways to take down online content, that is the only way that Thai police will be able to do it. Facebook will not give them access to do it in any legal way.

A poster summed FB up for me in another thread yesterday by comparing FB to a fruit. It starts off really good but over time the rot sets in and has the capability of spreading disease as it further decays.

That said, I do have a certain sympathy for FB and what sort of monitoring they can employ to stop the likes of this happening again. I don't know actual numbers, but would expect millions of clips being shared everyday albeit not all on live feeds, but how do you monitor, essentially data files, to a degree that it would give the viewer the live view experience? Yes, it is obviously a money spinner for FB, but it was a demand from the social media to have the service there in the first place.

Can't have your cake and eat it at the same time..................

Edit: For clarity, I do not use FB.

I had a friend who tried to put up something that Facebook did not like and they X'd him right of the bat. It did not even make it up to his site.