Police try to allay fear of wiretapping law

snoop1130

Police try to allay fear of wiretapping law

IMG_0936.png

To allay public fear of wiretapping abuses in wake of cabinet’s recent approval of the Criminal Procedural Code amendment to empower police to conduct wiretapping, the Royal Thai Police assured that wiretapping would be done only on certain cases and with court’s approval.

RTP deputy spokesman Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen explained Thursday that the law empowers the police to carry out wiretapping on three types of crime cases namely terrorism cases, cases concerning transnational criminal organization and complicated cases which carry jailterm of more than ten years.

He noted that the law has a built-in check-and-balance mechanism. To carry out wiretapping of any individuals, he explained that the police handling a crime case of one of the three types specified would report to their divisional commander who will seek approval from the court.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-try-allay-fear-wiretapping-law/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-4-27

I for one do not feel reassured. The sentencing here can be crazy, so offences with 10 year sentences means most of them, including the unmentionable one.

Courts approval? They aren't going to say NO to the junta, so that's a worry. When you get down to it, they can now spy on anyone for any reason, anytime.

What is of most concern is that they do like multiple defendants, so I can see many innocent associates being bugged along with those truly suspected.

I know our Governments do it, but I have a little more faith in their usage constraints and the legal system in general.

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A "like" or "follow" at the wrong site could be enough for 10 years.

I hope you appreciate that my like of your post could leave me open to serious jeopardy, but as you had already liked mine, I guessed we were probably considered fellow conspirators already anyway.

So it's just Transnational crime, Terrorism and Well you know, other stuff. With a cast iron guarantee like that, why could anyone be possibly worried?

However let me take a guess that the focus of these new powers will be on the Well you know, other stuff. 

Edited by baboon

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

So it's just Transnational crime, Terrorism and Well you know, other stuff. With a cast iron guarantee like that, why could anyone be possibly worried?

However let me take a guess that the focus of these new powers will be on the Well you know, other stuff. 

Other stuff? I assume you are talking about some kind of perversion here then?

Thai people could not possibly be guilty of sedition. That would require balls.

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A "like" or "follow" at the wrong site could be enough for 10 years.

You are so right and still many do not know this, so maybe time to ban all facebooks and do as you are told as facebook and twitter + others are bad for you. in some people eyes. NOT

This is just the pendulum swinging towards autocratic rule.  Muzzling the press and then allowing everyone to be spied on are just symptoms of military rule.  Hope those who wanted the coup are satisfied with themselves. as they have ceased all discussions and have replaced them with government mandates. 

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There's been a lot of fear allaying today. 

If only they could articulate themselves better. Even just to think before they speak. 

'If only they could ... think before they speak.' They're have more than a nodding acquaintance with hindsight. A pity they rarely recognise it.