Danish man dead as taxi overturns on way to Pattaya

webfact

For goodness' sake. It is a Bangkok cab. The couple were in Tak. The girlfriend or bloke must have had the cabbie's number. They booked him to take them from Tak to Pattaya. He tried to do the whole thing in one day (perhaps after finishing a night shift). He ended up killing one of his customers and smashing up his taxi because he is an idiot. The accident happened in Kamphaeng Phet which is between Tak and Pattaya.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was he in the back? I get so annoyed and also scared when I realise that around 95% of Bangkok taxis here do not have seatbelts in the back. Many have the belt but no actual thing to slot them into! I took a taxi from Korat to Hua Hin once and was pretty scared of any accidents

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I had a driver from the limo service at the airport nodding off and weaving all over the motorway from the airport to pattaya, I yelled at him to wake up and he got pissed at me.

All the rest of the way I had my eye on him and when he closed his eyes I clapped  my hands, he got angry every time and said he wasn't tired or sleeping. Must save face.

I would have gotten out and arranged a different means of transport, did you think a limo was worth having an accident over? 

A lot of Bangkok taxis are clunkers that are really only safe for short inner city journeys. The drivers spend all day sitting down so must be physically in very bad shape, and with a short fuse and attention span. I can't understand why someone would use one for a long journey. It must have been the irrational plan of the female, and the guy just went along with it.

13 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I think the reporting is all wrong here.

Bangkok Pattaya approx 200km

Bangkok, Tak Pattaya  about 1000km

The cab started in Bangkok but the passengers started in Tak so the cab had to go to Tak to pick them up. Foolish to try that in one day.

Years ago I saw  a taxi driver go to sleep at the wheel waiting for the lights to go green on Sukumvit/Asoke interesection,someone had to walk over and bang on the window.

Some of these guys live on the edge doing 18 hr shifts to send money back to their province.sadly passengers can get caught up in it too

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The driver told police that he had left Bangkok at 5am and reached Tak at 10am. He was taking the couple to Pattaya."

he was taking them the very long way around ?,  RIP Danish guy. never got to the promised land.

regards worgeordie

Wow, 4 likes for a post of an illiterate, probably the others are illiterate themselves.

Where in the OP does it say that the driver took them from Bangkok to Pattaya?

Did you know that you can also travel from Tak to Pattaya in a taxi driven by a Bangkok based driver?

Oh, and that the man had a Thai girlfriend, and was travelling from upcountry Tak to Pattaya, makes it obvious that he had spent quite some time in the promised land already.

Most drivers do not know, how to use the aircon. In order to get it cold in the car,  they circulate the air inside the car in the first place, and then forget to switch it back in order to get some fresh air in from the outside. The lack of oxygen, especially when more people are traveling, makes them all tired. I wonder how many road fatalities can be blamed on this issue.

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I had a driver from the limo service at the airport nodding off and weaving all over the motorway from the airport to pattaya, I yelled at him to wake up and he got pissed at me.

All the rest of the way I had my eye on him and when he closed his eyes I clapped  my hands, he got angry every time and said he wasn't tired or sleeping. Must save face.

Ha funny you say that , I had an experience whereby it was night going to the airport from the city and the driver kept driving off the road . If it wasn't for me reaching over and grabbing the steering wheel to oversteer for him  we would have hit the barrier blocks several times upon entry to the airport and had many a run off the road. I sort of sensed his vision was not good . Goodness knows how he drove alone . again on a recent trip from airport to Pattaya apart from having to yell at the driver to stop changing lanes for no reason and drive at speed then brake hard on the cars behind in front . I noticed not one but 5 rego stickers plastered on the windscreen , and amulets about 50 located all over the dashboard and the usual flowers and amulets to restrict vision hanging from the rearvision mirror . Don't they realize this is quite dangerous particularly at night trying to get a full view of the road ahead through the overtinted glass with all these obstructions and moving stuff to break concentration. The place is mad, when I drive with a cabbie I sit in front and make myself in reach of the gearstick ,handbrake and streering wheel and are prepared at all times to use whatever ,and my eyes are driving and lookout for whats ahead. and yes I often make myself vocal who cares what they think. its my life!

The best advice to a newcomer is if you find a cab whose driving skills are quite good and there are believe it some good ones who don't rip off or want to die yesterday. Get there card and keep it for when you need to use it long distance . i,ll give you one of mine Mr .A lek 0910298546 /0950674615 . He is very cautious and courtious .you can trust you or your family would be in good hands from Bangkok. Only downside is you have to book in advance or guess one could use Uber but not from airport , The drivers are a bit more cautious because they own therir own cars. Good luck! 

27 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The cab started in Bangkok but the passengers started in Tak so the cab had to go to Tak to pick them up. Foolish to try that in one day.

1000 km trip should take less than 7 hours.

Easily done in one stint.

36 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Wow, 4 likes for a post of an illiterate, probably the others are illiterate themselves.

Where in the OP does it say that the driver took them from Bangkok to Pattaya?

Did you know that you can also travel from Tak to Pattaya in a taxi driven by a Bangkok based driver?

Oh, and that the man had a Thai girlfriend, and was travelling from upcountry Tak to Pattaya, makes it obvious that he had spent quite some time in the promised land already.

If I am an illiterate, I have done very well for myself,what about you Mr.Smarty Pants.

Where in the OP does it say that the driver took them from Bangkok to Pattaya? where does it not ?

Did you know that you can also travel from Tak to Pattaya in a taxi driven by a Bangkok based driver? yes and to

Phuket,Chiang Mai, and anywhere else in Thailand for a price 

Oh, and that the man had a Thai girlfriend, and was travelling from upcountry Tak to Pattaya, makes it obvious that he had spent quite some time in the promised land already.   more supposition from you.

As with many news stories here the syntax is very bad, calling a taxi from Bangkok to Tak,then to Pattaya,makes no

sense to me.but then I am illiterate,

regards Worgeordie

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"The driver told police that he had left Bangkok at 5am and reached Tak at 10am. He was taking the couple to Pattaya."

he was taking them the very long way around ?,  RIP Danish guy. never got to the promised land.

regards worgeordie

'....never got to the promised land'. Are you serious???? Surely, purgatory or hell on earth would be more accurate?

6 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"The driver told police that he had left Bangkok at 5am and reached Tak at 10am. He was taking the couple to Pattaya."

Bangkok to Pattaya via Tak. That's the route most of us would take I'm sure  . . .  :sad:

Another victory tomorrow Celticbhoy? Barring of course the officials "honest mistakes".:smile:

2 hours ago, bino said:

Worgeordie and others are assuming that the passengers entered the taxi in Bangkok at 5 AM with the driver, and went on the long route to Tak and then back to Pattaya.

The way I read it is that the driver drove from Bangkok to Tak in the wee hours by himself to pick up the passengers there, where sweet Daeng had taken her big big honey to meet the family and to discuss sinsod arrangements.

My take on it as well. But why would you book a taxi from bkk to Tak to Patts......? Patts - Tak - Patts a better option. Anyway, may God rest the poor chaps soul.

Just now, Catkiwi said:

My take on it as well. But why would you book a taxi from bkk to Tak to Patts......? Patts - Tak - Patts a better option. Anyway, may God rest the poor chaps soul.

Surely booking a taxi from Tak to Pattaya would be better than Pattaya - Tak - Pattaya.

3 hours ago, Freespirit said:

I have driven long distances in Thailand and its worth the price of a small can of coffee, or one of those caffeine based sport drinks to stay awake. 10 or 12 baht can safe your life and others. Always works for me. I recommend one every 4 hours and a 30 minute break.

It's a cheap life saver. R_d  B_ll , M_50 etc not sure were allowed to name them, but I'm sure you know which one's I mean. You only get one life buy the taxi driver one, it might save yours.

I did last week when i took a cab from don muang to pattaya. I also asked him to stop 2 times lying i have to go to the toilet. That guy was tired

Police believe he fell asleep at the wheel before coming round and losing control of his vehicle as he was too close to the car in front.

How about, he was tailgating the vehicle in front, as taxis always do, travelling too fast and when the car in front slowed down or braked, failed to stop in time and rammed into the back. The falling asleep excused maybe a lesser charge then admitting to dangerous driving.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

1000 km trip should take less than 7 hours.

Easily done in one stint.

You never drive yourself these distances , I guess ?

I never did rely on the driving skills of any asian driver, so I always rented a car. First thing I did when emigrate to Thailand, I bought a pickup. Actually, I bought it already before I landed in BKK.

When I feel tired (not even sleepy), I take a break of 10 minutes, drinking some Iced cappucino and walking around.  I know driving around yourself in a car can be exciting, but if you are prepared (using google maps as navigator) as well as you anticipate, drive carefully and watch for unusual signs on the road before you, everything should go ok. 

Just now, tonboy said:

You never drive yourself these distances , I guess ?

I never did rely on the driving skills of any asian driver, so I always rented a car. First thing I did when emigrate to Thailand, I bought a pickup. Actually, I bought it already before I landed in BKK.

When I feel tired (not even sleepy), I take a break of 10 minutes, drinking some Iced cappucino and walking around.  I know driving around yourself in a car can be exciting, but if you are prepared (using google maps as navigator) as well as you anticipate, drive carefully and watch for unusual signs on the road before you, everything should go ok. 

I do Pattaya to the wife's village atleast once a month and is a 1200km round trip. easily done in 8 hours.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I was thinking the same thing. Never been there, but I understand Pattaya is an hour or so from Bangkok. Especially at 5am

Archived