Accident video: Who's in the wrong?

webfact

Accident video: Who's in the wrong?

3pm.jpg

Picture: PPTV

BANGKOK: -- Footage posted on Facebook has sparked an online debate about pedestrians crossing the road without taking care.

The video - taken from the "helmet-cam" of an oncoming bike - shows a woman in black crossing the road near the Saphan Kwai intersection in Bangkok.

A motorcyclist hits her causing both to be injured as the rider tumbles from the bike and she flies into the air, reported PPTV.

PPTV reported on the story saying that people online were debating who was right and who was wrong.

Poster Jirapong Nilteeb had posed that very question with his footage.

Initial comments in large part seemed to lay the blame at the door of the pedestrian.

But what do you think?

Source: PPTV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-28

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

50-50 ball, I'd say. Biker had to hit her as he probably didn't have enough fuel 

to drive around the chubby jay-walker  . . .  :smile:

"...the chubby jay-walker  ".

Doesn't look too chubby to me, I doubt there's much damage to the front end of his bike, maybe more damage to the rear end of the woman.

For what its worth, after the playing the video countless times, I note the sun is in the riders eyes, and the fact that she is wearing black doesn't help.

It didn't appear that he was speeding as the front brakes were applied at the 1st moment he saw her and the bike, although hit her, literally dropped, this is what happens in low speed accidents with bikes, they drop and sit at the same spot, however if he was going faster the bike would have sent her and him further, she went up in the air because the nose of the bike dropped when the brakes were applied.

Personally I would say she is at fault for A) not looking as she crossed in an area that you are not supposed to cross the road, although we do it all the time, the onus is on us to look and keep looking as we walk across the road, and B) preferably wear light colours, because black is death.

Edited by 4MyEgo

7 minutes ago, ezflip said:

If people want to play the blame game. How about this? Option #3 - Blame the city for not providing enough areas where pedestrians can cross in safety.

R u serious, cross at pedestrians lines in Thailand, try that and see if you get to the other side alive, pedestrians lines in Thailand are there for one purpose, road decoration 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

R u serious, cross at pedestrians in Thailand, try that and see if you get to the other side

He said "where pedestrians can cross in safely". I think we can safely infer that he meant provide 'more' crossings that are 'safe' as opposed to the crossings we have now where it's everyman for himself. 

No one is going to take this seriously until they put out an international wanted notice for him, either an Interpol red notice or an extradition request to the country where he is staying or something along those lines. Otherwise he can just fly in quietly on the family jet (does these guys even pass immigration??), do what he has to do in Thailand and be gone before the police even know he was here. Then they can play the game of "he was seeking medical treatment abroad" nonsense and he will never even be arrested.

But even then, will they keep him in jail until his trial? Not sure about that. Sure he could make bail if they allow. I would make the bail conditions quite strict - make the bail 100million USD and if there is one no show the family have to relinquish half. Second no show, they relinquish the rest. Some of this money can be used to compensate the victim's family.

I have always understood the rules of the road in Thailand, and SE Asia in general, is that the size of a vehicle governs fault.  For instance, a truck and motorcycle collide, the driver of the truck is at fault, etc. In this scenario, a pedestrian can never be determined at fault when hit by a motorized vehicle or even a bicycle. However, as a friend always told me, there is such a thing as being 'dead' right.

In addition, in many countries passing on the left when there is no marked lane is illegal. In Asia, the existence of lane markings have absolute no meaning in driving practices.  If there is anyone who knows about the 'legal' application of Thai laws, this case would be most interesting.  If the pedestrian is at fault, should she be charged with 'reckless walking'?

7 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

No one is going to take this seriously until they put out an international wanted notice for him, either an Interpol red notice or an extradition request to the country where he is staying or something along those lines. Otherwise he can just fly in quietly on the family jet (does these guys even pass immigration??), do what he has to do in Thailand and be gone before the police even know he was here. Then they can play the game of "he was seeking medical treatment abroad" nonsense and he will never even be arrested.

But even then, will they keep him in jail until his trial? Not sure about that. Sure he could make bail if they allow. I would make the bail conditions quite strict - make the bail 100million USD and if there is one no show the family have to relinquish half. Second no show, they relinquish the rest. Some of this money can be used to compensate the victim's family.

Hin there. Are you on about the Red Bull killer aka Boss? :wacko:   This is about an accident where a motorbike shafts a young pedestrian while she's crossing the road.

Now, do you want to know whoes responsible under "Thai Law" or whoes responsible under the World's Law? Okay,

first Thai law. The women is definitely responsible and should cover all damages to the mans motorcycle. What right does 

that women have in crossing that busy intersection. I'm dumb-founded. Who does she think she is? Okay, now the rest of the World's law. She should suit the motorcyclist for 3 million baht and all medical expenses for the next year. Also he should have his license suspended and required to take a ten week drivers training course in pedestrian safety. Good Luck on that one though.

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Both in the wrong.

Agreed, both are in the wrong. She for crossing without taking any notice of what's going on around her.

He for passing illegally on the inside of the the silver car. By doing so, he left himself with no room to maneuver and no time to brake.

The girl is jay walking and not even looking while she crosses 100% stupidity and at fault

The bike rider should have been prepared to stop and almost did, point taken about the sun in his eyes, he is not to blame, he was neither speeding or driving in a careless manner and the bump was hardly a big deal, very low speed 

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Both in the wrong.

No, Colin. The woman is solely responsible. First, there is a jaywalking law in Thailand - it's designed to protect both motorist and pedestrian. Second, have a look at the vid just before the collision - the jaywalking woman is not looking to see if there is any oncoming traffic. Who on earth crosses a busy road like that? Well, to answer my own question, Thais and Indian and Chinese tourists. 

Unbelievable behavior. About 50% of the hazards I encounter each day on the roads are pedestrians acting like they belong among the vehicles. 

40 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Unbelievable behavior. About 50% of the hazards I encounter each day on the roads are pedestrians acting like they belong among the vehicles. 

Agreed . And the other 50% are motorcyclists, most of them making potentially dangerous passing maneuvers, usually on the inside.

Two birds with one stone here.

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

Will the TVF super-sleuths be filing their report with the RTP soon? I hope so, the case will never be solved without their insight and knowledge :smile:

Or you could simply stop reading TV.  It's a wild world out there, baby -- go get 'em.

:partytime2:

its probably 50-50 with another fifty for the government for not organising safe crossing

systems, they did put several pedestrian crossings in pattaya but had to switch the lights

off as the majority of people would not stop for a red light, and the Bib found it to difficult

to enforce the law, of course the unwritten law in Thailand is he who has the least money

is at fault...TIT   

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Seems to me they both as stupid as each other, while the girl should have been looking at the traffic and hurried up or waited the guy on the guy on the bike should also have slowed down to make sure he didnt hit her.

Thai on Thai sure.seems they both got what they deserved. Both not paying attention. Properly thinking about som tum.

Edited by catman20