Items you think should be available here, but aren't.

Trujillo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After going to a bunch of BITEC trade shows and spending lots of time in various parts of BKK (especially Chinatown), and Lazada, I'm amazed at how much stuff is actually available here, and even more amazed at how poorly they advertise to foreigners- especially the products -and venues and events- geared toward us.  That said, even our company's procurement people can't find a lot of basic kit when we submit requests, so we import a lot of mundane crap from Singapore at stupid high $$$.  (Anyone else sense a business opportunity there?)  Then I'll find it next time I'm at a trade show or in Chinatown.

Rant alert:  Forums like TVF don't seem to help that much because they're always posting up news of a great event after it happens, and most requests for "where to buy it" usually end up being a cat fight over whether you really need it and whether the world as we know it will end if we don't give up our reliance on it.

I'd suggest anyone who's interested in tools and such spend some time scrounging the neighborhoods around Klong Tom market in Chinatown, and check out an occasional industrial trade show at BITEC.com.

My personal pet peeves:  Aspirin in doses bigger than 82mg and caffeine tablets (though I found the caffeine on Lazada)

Edit:  On a side note to the OP, there are some companies that exhibit genuine western cleaning supplies and equipment at just about every major industrial trade show at BITEC.  The good stuff- but generally not at great prices- but that's a whole different rant...

http://www.truevalue.co.th/index.php   (enter "broom" into search)

I go to Bangkok about 5 times a year which I suspect most others do as well. I can't think of anything that I have not been able to find there. (I don't look for obscure foreign foods as they are not important to me - Thai food is just fine). But just about anything else is available there. If you can't find it yourself - just ask someone - it's there.

There are quite a number of medications that have been passed by the European, USA, Japan and other developed countries but are not available in Thailand because they are not sanctioned by the Thai authorities yet. Until they get around to that, Thais and residents of Thailand have to either do with the cheaper and less effective older alternatives or buy abroad and import (there are a raft of laws about importing meds into the Kingdom so one has to be careful with this).

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Available in Bangkok. You can order on-line. Sorry, too lazy and busy to search for the website for you, but it's there.

A friend of mine bought a push broom same as photo in a shop in Pattaya but very expensive for a broom.

Yup. Acceptable substitutes for nearly every item available in T'land, except honest government and democracy.   You may know of other elements of human society lacking in T'land but i don't have time to name them all.  

-- Plastic lids of various sizes to re-seal canned goods, like olives, beans, tuna, etc.

By the way, what I meant by "here" was at a shop of some kind, not necessarily an online store. Of course, I can get almost anything online if I want to pay to have it sent here and pay any customs duties and taxes. 

Thanks for this thread. We have been looking in many places (incl in Bangkok) for these two

1) cleaning paste for tiles and stoves... like Astonish

(there are some products but they just don't work as well)

2) spray to avoid formation of streaks on the glass door of a shower .... like Windex

(spray after shower, no need to rinse off)

011035.jpg

086753.jpg

8 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Common sense.

Rule of Law.

Common sense yes.  But expecting/wanting rule of law here is not common sense.

More foreigners who accept, understand at least a bit and appreciate where they are.

1 hour ago, RowdyAlpha said:

Phillips electric razor replacement power cord. The razor is available everywhere but try find just the cord.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Had a similar problem, but found a replacement from Hong Kong being sold on eBay. Got here in a week. No problems with customs, since it was only a few bucks. 

Archived