Items you think should be available here, but aren't.

Trujillo

10 hours ago, Katia said:

Brooms with bristles that aren't too floppy to pick anything up (these damn Thai brooms' bristles just bend and glide over the dirt and debris without moving it).  And not exactly something I can either have shipped or bring back from the U.S. on a visit because of the stupid long handle (I've never seen yet a household broom for which you can buy just the head and buy the handle separately.  Push brooms, yes, but not your standard home broom).

So you just buy the household brooms you want, cut the handles to about a foot long, put them in your suitcase and bring them.  Easy to attact a longer piece to extend the handle here, a piece of PVC pipe and a couple of screws.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Similar to DD Property?

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

No.  DD Property is just one of a number of websites that have some properties for sale.  Key word SOME.  Hipflat is another one and Craigslist and Prakkard, etc.  And, almost all the agencies have their own websites that list properties that they have for sale.  In America, the Multiple Listing Service, also referred to as the MRIS, is a single website that all the agents use to list their properties for sale.  You only need to list your property with one  agent and it will  be put on the MLS and all the agents can see it for sale.  Here, you have to go to each agency one by one and send them the information and photos.  Then you have to check later to see if your property actually got listed with the agency.  Sometimes you have to send the information a second or third time.  Sometimes it never gets put on.  It's very time consuming and would be much simpler if all the agencies used one MLS system.  Also, with an MLS system,  the buyer will see more properties for sale and have a better choice.  The MLS system is also kept much more up-to-date--some websites here have some very old listings.  The other day I got an email from an agency asking me if my condo at View Talay 3 was still for sale.  It sold about 3 or 4 years ago. 

I've seen Windex mentioned on this thread and I've been buying it at Big C for years. However, maybe not in the last year.

windex-mr-muscle-glass-cleaner.jpg

Edited by grin

3 hours ago, grin said:

I've seen Windex mentioned on this thread and I've been buying it at Big C for years. However, maybe not in the last year.

windex-mr-muscle-glass-cleaner.jpg

It's still around.  I buy it at Tops.  Always clean the countertops in the kitchen with it before preparing every meal.  (We have two cats who walk everywhere.)  I'm one of those people who fervently believe that Windex has sterilizing properties.

With regard to grey-hair shampoo...

Nancy L, I feel your pain!

I used to have it shipped here from Amazon, but that's pricey.

I have also made DIY shampoo/conditioner with actual success !  I got food coloring from CM Plastics, and started with one drop of blue coloring in about a cup  of shampoo, then added less than a drop of red to get the hue I wanted.  Add shampoo or coloring to get the tone best for you.  This works surprisingly well, but works even better (using same recipe) as a final rinse/conditioner.  I have tried using both tinted DIY shampoo with tinted conditioner, and the results is a bit too dull-looking.

These days I just get the occasional violet toner done when I go to my hairdresser (Absolute Hair Salon), but I'm sure he would sell it to me if I wanted to add it occasionally to my conditioner.

Hope one of these options work for you!

Edited by Brightly

Another thing (and it's been discussed here before):

Bras that fit.

If you have an unusual size (like 34 F)--forget it.

All you can do is order online and hope for the best.  If they don't fit, they are hard even to give away.

This is worse than even having a large (or wide-narrow) foot size!

Also, swimsuits for western bodies.  Very difficult, even for an "average" body.

Not to mention Sudafed,  and some OTC eye drops that could be picked up anywhere but here.

Not that I'm complaining...I just make sure that I have friends willing to schlep these things back yearly.

Oh, and Brillo Pads.  Miss those guys.

And also, good electric toothbrushes (like Sonicare).  Available online, but impossible to find in a brick-and-mortar shop.

Not that I'm complaining, just sayin'.

I guess I'm in a DIY mood today (see grey hair tint).

But this is a decent "bra hack" for those with ample bosoms:

Buy two (one or two size smaller) T-back (also called razor-back) sleeveless t-shirts.  It's best if they have a bit of spandex in them.  Put the first on backwards.  Now it will look slightly obscene ('cause your breasts will protrude from either side), but just take a breath...and put the other one on the "right" way.

What you get is an undergarment that not only comes up high in the front (covering the dreaded cleavage area), but provides some degree of support all-round.  Great for wearing under blouses and shirts.

I call it "poor-woman's" shape wear!

Ladies, give it a try.  It won't work for every fashion, but it's a decent go-to when you're going for some degree of modesty and support.

3 hours ago, Brightly said:

Another thing (and it's been discussed here before):

Bras that fit.

If you have an unusual size (like 34 F)--forget it.

All you can do is order online and hope for the best.  If they don't fit, they are hard even to give away.

Someone told me that a common Western complaint is that Asian bras tend to have the cups closer together.  Having bought a sports bra here, that seems to be the case.  It's not a huge deal for me, but I notice it.

6 hours ago, Brightly said:

With regard to grey-hair shampoo...

I have also made DIY shampoo/conditioner with actual success !  I got food coloring from CM Plastics, and started with one drop of blue coloring in about a cup  of shampoo, then added less than a drop of red to get the hue I wanted.  Add shampoo or coloring to get the tone best for you.  This works surprisingly well, but works even better (using same recipe) as a final rinse/conditioner.  I have tried using both tinted DIY shampoo with tinted conditioner, and the results is a bit too dull-looking.

Wasn't the "traditional" way to use blueing?  Not sure how good it is for your hair, though!  (Do the gray-hair shampoos also use optical brighteners, the way some fabric softeners do?)

10 minutes ago, Katia said:

Someone told me that a common Western complaint is that Asian bras tend to have the cups closer together.  Having bought a sports bra here, that seems to be the case.  It's not a huge deal for me, but I notice it.

I too have noticed that but find no reason to complain, actually just the opposite.  But it is certainly not true in all of Asia.

I had to import a steel potato masher, I couldn't find one after months of searching in Bangkok. I'm also looking for Slip n Slide which seems to be unavailable here too. Lastly while you can get BBQ equipment, it's really shitty stuff from Sweden or UK where they don't BBQ regularly so the tools especially the wire brushes fall apart after slight use and the costs of these items are significantly more than I would have expected to pay.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Katia said:

Wasn't the "traditional" way to use blueing?  Not sure how good it is for your hair, though!  (Do the gray-hair shampoos also use optical brighteners, the way some fabric softeners do?)

I did a google search and yes, some grey hair shampoos use optical brighteners, as do most shampoos meant for white dogs.  I may just look around the pet care department and see if they have white dog shampoo here in Thailand and try it on myself..  I would expect they do.

2 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So NancyL, you are trying to find something to make your hair blue? 

I'm already using a violet/blue shampoo and conditioner that I order from the U.S. via amazon, have sent to my U.S. mailforwarding service and have shipped here.  It would be good to find a local (cheaper) source, esp. since one time, a bottle of shampoo came open in the shipment.  Not a pretty sight.

If these products turn the hair blue, then they aren't really being used properly, unless that's really the look the person wants.  In my case, I still have enough yellow in my hair, that the blue/violet simply covers the yellow and makes it look grey.  

Take a look at a color wheel.  Violet/blue is opposite the unwanted color in white hair that people try to hide with these products.

color-wheel.png

On 4/28/2017 at 5:51 PM, newnative said:

Gunk Off.  Foam paint brushes.  Reduced-fat Cheez-It.  Dark potato chips.  VW Polo.  Toyota Rav.  Lebanon bologna.

I found a bag of foam paint brushes at an arts and craft store, 280b for 5 brushes!!!!!  You can get a bag of 25 from Amazon for less.

Some of the prices here are ridiculous.