Trucker leads cops on 70km chase through Phitsanulok

webfact

Trucker leads cops on 70km chase through Phitsanulok
By The Nation

75637d179e0f2da1684fd3af94c9ab71.jpeg

The speeding truck as seen from a feed of a dashboard camera of a police car.

PHITSANULOK: -- In scenes straight out of an action movie, an 18-wheel truck ploughed through police checkpoints on Thursday evening and led pursuers on a 70-kilometre chase through three districts of Phitsanulok, sometimes at high speed.

The excitement began at 6pm when the truck driver failed to stop for a checkpoint on Phitsanulok-Uttaradit Road in the Wat Bote district village of Ban Tha Ngam.

The truck sped through the checkpoint, prompting suspicions it was carrying contraband. Police radioed ahead to other checkpoints and gave chase. 

The speeding truck was observed veering left and right as it overtook other vehicles. At one point its trailer struck a pursuing police car.

The fleeing driver raced through Mueang district into Wang Thong district, where police had set up a roadblock. The truck still failed to stop, made a right turn onto Wang Thong-Sak Lek Road and then onto Tha Muenram-None Mapang Road.

There the driver swerved to one side trying to head off a pursuing highway patrol car, lost control and entered a ditch, but managed to get back on the road again.

The chase came to an end only when the driver turned into a dead-end soi in a village designated Moo 10 in Tambon Tha Muenram.

The arrested driver was identified as Prasert Sengdonprai, 43, a resident of Phetchabun. Police found no illegal items in the truck and the driver passed tests for intoxicants.

Prasert had his wife, Wan Khongboon, and daughter, Cha-em Sengdonprai, with him in the truck. He told police he’d been headed to Phrae to load corn, but had an argument with his wife, and in his fury decided to ignore the initial police checkpoint.

He was charged with blowing through traffic lights, reckless driving endangering people and property, and refusing to obey police orders to stop.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313633

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-28

Thats what being married does to you.

Wife nagging in his ear, so f...the police, no way am i stopping.

What a stupid idiot, could have caused serious injury, or even death.

Not to worry just pay the 500 baht fine then carry on regardless.   :cheesy::cheesy:

Fined 500 THB and then suspended to 250 THB for admitting his crime. Police had photo lineup with the neighborhood

elites and everyone padded each other on their. backs. Congrats no one was killed. Wife decided to leave the jackass and

filed for divorce the next day. The owner of the truck smiled for photos at the Police Station. Another Happy Day in the Land of Smiles!

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Police found no illegal items in the truck and the driver passed tests for intoxicants."

Does this mean Thai people do not need drugs to act stupid?

One other typical Thai test has not been conducted - possession...

I am constantly dismayed every time I hear about a "chase". In this day of cell phones, never mind good old fashioned dispatch radios, why not just call ahead and have other officers intercept?  Yes I get the idea of the adrenaline of the chase, and I do expect some units to chase and try to keep an eye on things, but they should not have to do much.  call ahead!

Edited by gk10002000
fixing

57 minutes ago, tandor said:

...why didn't they shoot the tyres out..they had 20 to choose from.

because when a tyre on the front explodes on a semi trailer like that it could cause an accident and the truck to roll ...  shooting the trailer tyres out will do nothing.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

because when a tyre on the front explodes on a semi trailer like that it could cause an accident and the truck to roll ...  shooting the trailer tyres out will do nothing.

..i was being cynical.