Money Transfer / America to Thailand

1 hour ago, Oohwan said:

I also thought about having them send me an ATM.  Would there be any legal issues with them sending me the card?

I assume I would then have ATM fees, and international transaction fee imposed if I were to do it this way? 

I wonder if withdrawing the entire amount at once would be cheaper than the SWIFT.

SCB said they would charge a maximum of 500 baht for SWIFT.  

Oohwan, why don't you make it easier on everyone here, and simply mention what bank your "sender" is using, and whether you are in Thailand or the U.S. right now, and/or have any prospects of being back in the U.S. any time soon.  That would clarify and simplify the situation a lot. Otherwise, there's just too much unknown in the scenarios.

Also, for anything to do with receiving incoming international fund transfers, you really don't want to be using SCB. They tend to have higher fees and lower exchange rates. You're much better off using any other of the main Thai banks.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not helpful for the OP at this point, but this thread is another worthwhile, cautionary tale for anyone in the US contemplating a trip or moving abroad.  Set up the best possible banking plan before you depart the States.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Oohwan, is there some reason you're not receptive to the idea of you opening a bank account at the same U.S. bank as your sender? And then the sender can easily deposit their funds to your local account each month. And then you can online do an ACH transfer to BKK Bank, and your sending local account and your BKK Bank account will have the same name.

That seems no extra work for the sender beyond what they're already doing, and easy for you to handle the rest.  If you're already in Thailand, you could explore opening an account online with your sender's bank. And if the bank won't allow that, you could plan to open the account the next time you're back in the U.S. for a visit.

But as to your specific question, Schwab is the gold standard for expat banking. Fidelity is similar, but has more potential complications as Jing explained above. State Farm Bank is another with no foreign currency fee and reimburses Thai ATM fees, especially if you have a direct deposit with them, more limited if you don't. But beyond those, you get into the world of local area banks and credit unions that I can't offer any advice to you on since I don't know your "local".

A Schwab account probably can be opened online from Thailand, if you have a U.S. residence address you can use where they would send you account info and debit card upon issuance. I'm not sure whether or not they ask for a DL with an address that matches your declared residence address. But if you do apply online from Thailand, make sure you're always using a VPN or similar method that gives your PC a U.S. IP address.

I would not have any issues with opening an account same as the sender, but the senders bank is a Federal Credit Union.  It is only available for employees of the United States Government. 

The Schwab and State Farm account is something I will look into. If I use either of these two options I can have a direct deposit from the sender go into the Schwab and State Farm account, and then use the corresponding ATM to make the withdraw correct?  

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Not helpful for the OP at this point, but this thread is another worthwhile, cautionary tale for anyone in the US contemplating a trip or moving abroad.  Set up the best possible banking plan before you depart the States.

Deserves to be repeated MANY times over... AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

19 minutes ago, Oohwan said:

I would not have any issues with opening an account same as the sender, but the senders bank is a Federal Credit Union.  It is only available for employees of the United States Government. 

The Schwab and State Farm account is something I will look into. If I use either of these two options I can have a direct deposit from the sender go into the Schwab and State Farm account, and then use the corresponding ATM to make the withdraw correct?  

See, you provide more details, and it becomes easier to suss out your situation.

So yes, if your sender's bank is really a federal credit union restricted to U.S. govt employees only, then that would seem to rule out you having an account there. Just be aware, some federal credit unions do have membership rules that in fact allow other types of people to join. State Department FCU is one good example of that.

But assuming you're right about being locked out of your sender's CU, you need to be careful about your terminology.

Direct deposit normally means setting up a payroll, pension or Social Security direct deposit into a particular account. I'm not sure that employers, pension providers and Social Security will permit people to formally have direct deposits of their benefits into bank accounts under other 3rd parties' people's name.

That said, your sender is certainly free to do whatever she wishes with the funds in her own account. You said she doesn't like to deal with online banking. I have an elderly father with U.S. bank accounts. And at least at his bank, he can call them on the phone, provide his identity verification info, and then the bank CSR will set up an online payment or online transfer for him out of his account. Whether your sender's FCU will extend the same courtesy, you or she would have to inquire of them.

Or, if she trusts you enough, she could give your her online banking log-in and password for the account, and you could handle the ACH transfer yourself via online banking. But you haven't said whether this is a family member or some other unrelated party.

The question becomes, if she doesn't like or do well with online banking, how's she going to get the $2000 a month from her FCU account into your Schwab or Fidelity (or any other) account. She could ask the FCU to set up an automatic, recurring ACH transfer to your U.S. account, if they're willing to do that. Or, in the case of Schwab, I do know that people can mail paper checks to Schwab made out to the account holder and with the account number written on the check, and Schwab will deposit and credit those to your account.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

See, you provide more details, and it becomes easier to suss out your situation.

So yes, if your sender's bank is really a federal credit union restricted to U.S. govt employees only, then that would seem to rule out you having an account there. Just be aware, some federal credit unions do have membership rules that in fact allow other types of people to join. State Department FCU is one good example of that.

But assuming you're right about being locked out of your sender's CU, you need to be careful about your terminology.

Direct deposit normally means setting up a payroll, pension or Social Security direct deposit into a particular account. I'm not sure that employers, pension providers and Social Security will permit people to formally have direct deposits of their benefits into bank accounts under other 3rd parties' people's name.

That said, your sender is certainly free to do whatever she wishes with the funds in her own account. You said she doesn't like to deal with online banking. I have an elderly father with U.S. bank accounts. And at least at his bank, he can call them on the phone, provide his identity verification info, and then the bank CSR will set up an online payment or online transfer for him out of his account. Whether your sender's FCU will extend the same courtesy, you or she would have to inquire of them.

The question becomes, if she doesn't like or do well with online banking, how's she going to get the $2000 a month from her FCU account into your Schwab or Fidelity (or any other) account. She could ask the Schwab and State Farm account ACH transfer to your U.S. account, if they're willing to do that. Or, in the case of Schwab, I do know that people can mail paper checks to Schwab made out to the account holder and with the account number written on the check, and Schwab will deposit and credit those to your account.

I was thinking that it might be possible to make the Schwab or State Farm account in the senders name, and then have her FCU make the 2000 US deposit on a monthly basis.

I would then have her send mail me the ATM card.  

13 minutes ago, Oohwan said:

I was thinking that it might be possible to make the Schwab or State Farm account in the senders name, and then have her FCU make the 2000 US deposit on a monthly basis.

I would then have her send mail me the ATM card.  

Just remember that you will be charged 250 baht for each 20000 max ATM withdrawal (you will need 4 in all, yah?)  Schwab needs a minimum balance to reimburse for that.  So, check out total costs before you cast off.

18 minutes ago, Oohwan said:

You'd need to check with her FCU or have her do it. But in all likelihood, their answer and method isn't going to be any different if the issue is transferring funds to an outside bank account that's in her name vs transferring the funds to an outside bank account in your name. My guess would be, either way, her FCU would have the same process.

And Steve's advice above is wrong. The standard Thai bank ATM fee these days is 220 baht, not 250, at least not yet. And, TMB and Krungsri banks will allow up to 30K per ATM withdrawal, which fits nicely with a Schwab or similar $1000 a day withdrawal limit.

Lastly, for the Schwab account we're talking about, assuming it's a U.S. opened account, there are no minimum balance requirements. And no minimum balance requirement to be eligible for their ATM fee reimbursements.

Like most here I'm using BKK Bank New York. My wife and I both have accounts there. I go on line to my Navy Fed Credit Union and transfer whatever cash I need and in two to three days its available in Thailand. US banking laws allow a maximum of $5000.00 per week to the same account via interbank transfer. When we bought our car, about $25,000.00 I had to send a wire transfer and because it goes to BKK Bank New York its considered a domestic transfer so its at a lower rate. If you go BKK Bank web site, click on the International Tab and you'll find the RTN number and address in NY. You will have to open the account in Thailand. When you do, I highly reccomend you also sign up for the Mobile App, called Bualuang mBanking and also iBanking which is the PC on line banking. The mobile app is great, you can pay bills, top up your phone, transfer to other banks, etc. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but they are VERY aggressively trying to smoke out people that they suspect. 

Be paranoid.

For example, make sure to disable "show images" on email accounts. They can show that opened their emails abroad.

Agree in spirit, this "know your customer" and other related legislation, has been taken too far by some orgs, beyond the original intent, screwing hundreds of thousands of Regular Joes in order to catch a relative few.

FWIW, I never use a VPN when performing US internet banking or turn off images, at least not for that reason.  Don't have a MajicJack or a Skype thing.  

Schwab and Capital One were the only two financial orgs that threatened to close my accounts if I used my Thailand mailing address with them.  I said never mind and they backed off.  But I had already told them in secure messages and on the phone, I moved to Thailand.   Even a causal glance at my banking and credit transactions with them reveal the obvious fact I live here.   So it seems to be a paperwork drill. If they can check the box and appear compliant, they actually don't care that I live here.  I wouldn't tempt fate and rub their nose in it, but paranoid?  Not so much anymore.

Edited by 55Jay

The BKK Bank New York looks like the best option, but unfortunately I do not have a U.S bank account. 

Having read all the comments posted I think I will tell the sender to open the Schwab account, and then have them send me the ATM card.

"Using a U.S. bank card that allows ATM withdrawals up to $1000 per day at least, and preferably, one that reimburses you for the Thai ATM fees and has no foreign currency fee of its own" TallGuyJohninBKK    

Thank you all for your contributions so far. 

1 hour ago, Jaybott said:

US banking laws allow a maximum of $5000.00 per week to the same account via interbank transfer. 

When you say interbank transfer if you mean an ACH transfer between banks there is "no" U.S. law which only allows a $5,000 maximum per week.   That is purely a policy of your bank/credit union.

Heck, just a few weeks ago I did a $7,500 ACH transfer from my U.S. bank to my Bangkok Bank account....could have done up to $15K on that day and did it again the next day as my daily ACH transfer limit is $15K.  

But the $5,000 "per day" (not week) transfer limit via ACH between banks is a common amount/rule of thumb many US bank/credit unions do use.

From looking at the Terms and Agreements for the credit union you mentioned the daily transfer limit is $5K with a business week transfer limit of $15K

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/applications-forms/NFCU_652A_NFO.pdf

Transfers from a Navy Federal checking account to a checking account at another financial institution may be requested for a minimum of $5.00 to a maximum of $5,000.00 per business day. However, the total aggregate amount of all checking transfers within any five-Business-Day period cannot exceed $15,000.

Edited by Pib

45 minutes ago, Oohwan said:

The BKK Bank New York looks like the best option, but unfortunately I do not have a U.S bank account. 

Having read all the comments posted I think I will tell the sender to open the Schwab account, and then have them send me the ATM card.

"Using a U.S. bank card that allows ATM withdrawals up to $1000 per day at least, and preferably, one that reimburses you for the Thai ATM fees and has no foreign currency fee of its own" TallGuyJohninBKK    

Thank you all for your contributions so far. 

Since earlier you said the person was elderly and preferred dealing face to face with their bank, it's not like there is a Schwab brokerage/bank in each town to walk into...far from it.   Chances are the person will still need to deal with Schwab via long distance/internet/phone.   

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Since earlier you said the person was elderly and preferred dealing face to face with their bank, it's not like there is a Schwab brokerage/bank in each town to walk into...far from it.   Chances are the person will still need to deal with Schwab via long distance/internet/phone.   

I thought about that as well so I used their branch locator tool to find something close. I was able to find an independent branch 8 miles from the senders zip code.  This shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for her.   

If the account and debit card is going to be in her name only since she'll be the only one going in to open the account....and she will be mailing you her card for use in Thailand keep in mind that Schwab "may" block the card usage in Thailand unless she notifies them she will be visiting/staying in Thailand for X-period.  If blocked, she will then have to contact the Schwab to get it unblocked...which means she would have to say Yes, that was me withdrawing money in Thailand very recently but I'm now back in the US contacting you about my blocked card.   Basically she'll need to lie somewhat.

Now I will say that Schwab does not seem to be hardcore on this as I have a Scbwab card, live in Thailand, but have a Thailand military APO address on file with Schwab.  Only once about two years ago has Schwab blocked my credit card due to usage in Thailand...I had to call them to get in unblocked by saying Yes, that was really me...and yes I'm in Thailand right now....go through the questions they ask to confirm it was really you the account owner....etc...etc...etc.

I would just recommend you do not rely totally on a debit card as it can get lost/stolen/just stop working...be sure to keep enough money in local savings to cover such periods because such periods will occur (at the worst time)...hopefully not too often but they will occur.

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

I would just recommend you do not rely totally on a debit card as it can get lost/stolen/just stop working...be sure to keep enough money in local savings to cover such periods because such periods will occur (at the worst time)...hopefully not too often but they will occur.

I totally agree with you on this. Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to tell her when she opens the account to mention she is a frequent traveler, and to allow international transactions. 

Edited by Oohwan

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Schwab is pretty good to deal with over the phone. They've always been very helpful in any of my phone dealings with them.

But in addition, they do actually have a surprising number of branch locations spread all across the country:

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/branch-locator/branches_abc.html

All depends on where "sender" is located.

3 hours ago, Oohwan said:

At this point four pages into the discussion re this thread, I'm going to resist any temptation I might have to ask why the OP suddenly decides to mention now that he doesn't have any U.S. bank account of his own.... Have a good evening.... Good Night!

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At this point four pages into the discussion re this thread, I'm going to resist any temptation I might have to ask why the OP suddenly decides to mention now that he doesn't have any U.S. bank account of his own.... Have a good evening.... Good Night!

So you can sleep a little bit better, I'm a dual national and have never had a US bank account. This doesn't mean I don't have a bank account in the country I was born in. 

Earlier in the discussion I did ask about opening up a U.S bank account online, but I am no longer interested in this option since it seems so much easier for the sender to go the Schwab route.

Also if opening a U.S bank account online they would have asked for a drivers licence which I do not have either.   

My apologizes for not mentioning this earlier, and I thank you for giving me the answers I was looking for.  

1 hour ago, Oohwan said:

Also if opening a U.S bank account online they would have asked for a drivers licence which I do not have either.

Not to mention, a Social Security Number (or Fed Tax ID) so you could pay taxes on the monies being transferred.

Also not saying the FEDS won't ask for that sometime in the future anyway while telling you to pay back-taxes along with a fine, or ask the person giving/gifting you more than 12,000 usd/yr to pay it.

Forget I mentioned it.

34 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Not to mention, a Social Security Number (or Fed Tax ID) so you could pay taxes on the monies being transferred.

Also not saying the FEDS won't ask for that sometime in the future anyway while telling you to pay back-taxes along with a fine, or ask the person giving/gifting you more than 12,000 usd/yr to pay it.

Forget I mentioned it.

One of the main reasons I don't have any direct financial ties back in the U.S.

Gifts to foreign citizens are subject to the same rules governing any gift that a U.S. citizen makes. If a gift exceeds the annual exclusion amount, which is currently $14,000, then they must typically file a gift tax return to report the excess. Often they won't owe any actual tax, because a lifetime exemption applies above and beyond the annual exclusion amount. Currently, that lifetime exemption is $5.45 million, so it takes a huge amount to generate actual gift tax liability.

Gift taxes only apply to the person making the gift, not the person receiving it. Foreign citizens generally don't have liability for U.S. gift tax and therefore don't need to report gifts for those purposes. 

Worst case scenario would be Schwab closing the account. 

Edited by Oohwan

I tried opening the Bangkok Bank transfer account....when I attempted to 'hook' up my USA bank to the BB account in NY and then to Thailand my USA bank wanted to verify a test deposit.  I did this 'test' three times to no avail.  My USA bank did a small (<$.50) to the BB NY bank and after a few days it I saw it in my Thai account; albeit in THB.  I tried to figure out the exchange rate and transfer fees but every time I tried to verify the 'test' transfer it was 'off' a few pennies, thus my USA bank cancelled the transfer connection.

Its much easier to walk into a BB bank and ask for X amount on my debit card (cash advance) to be deposited into my local account; then, happy using any BB ATM w no fees.

Very off topic:

Dual Citizenship - What Are The Tax Rules?

Every US citizen or green card holder is liable to pay US taxes, regardless of whether they are citizens of another country too. This is also true of foreigners born in the US, and children of US citizens born abroad, all of whom are technically US citizens (assuming that they have never officially renounced their US citizenship), even if they have never had or applied for a US passport, or if they haven't even lived in or visited the US in decades.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, was born (to British parents) and lived in New York until be was 5. Never having renounced his US citizenship, over 40 years later he received a US tax bill on the capital gain he had made on a house in London he bought in the 1990s and then sold in 2009. After much deliberation, he ultimately paid up, so as to be able to visit the US again in the future. He later renounced his US citizenship, so as not to receive any more bills.

OUCH!!

This is just FYI. Don't be like Boris.

29 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Very off topic:

Dual Citizenship - What Are The Tax Rules?

Every US citizen or green card holder is liable to pay US taxes, regardless of whether they are citizens of another country too. This is also true of foreigners born in the US, and children of US citizens born abroad, all of whom are technically US citizens (assuming that they have never officially renounced their US citizenship), even if they have never had or applied for a US passport, or if they haven't even lived in or visited the US in decades.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, was born (to British parents) and lived in New York until be was 5. Never having renounced his US citizenship, over 40 years later he received a US tax bill on the capital gain he had made on a house in London he bought in the 1990s and then sold in 2009. After much deliberation, he ultimately paid up, so as to be able to visit the US again in the future. He later renounced his US citizenship, so as not to receive any more bills.

OUCH!!

This is just FYI. Don't be like Boris.

I have lived here for 10 consecutive years and have never filed a U.S tax return. I doubt they will hunt me down knowing I made less than 14K USD per year. If the IRS wants my money let them come and get it. 

Edited by Oohwan

On 4/29/2017 at 11:54 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For Americans such as the OP, the best, most economical methods for getting funds from the U.S. to Thailand are almost certainly going to be:

1. Thailand ATM withdrawals using no foreign currency fee, Thai bank ATM fee-reimbursing U.S. bank debit cards such as Schwab, Fidelity and others similar.

and/or

2. Sending money from a U.S. bank with free domestic ACH transfers to BKK Bank's New York branch, and having them send the funds onward to one's own BKK Bank account in Thailand, especially for larger amounts than are possible/sensible for ATM withdrawals.

In many years here, I've never seen anyone prove a generally available alternative that's going to produce any better (more cost efficient) results, especially on an ongoing basis where the person involved is staying/residing in Thailand.

I'm always interested and willing to be proven wrong... But nobody's been able to do that over a span of many years.

Hi TG,

When I opened a fidelity account towards the end of last year my guy (who is a Senior VP and a friend) said they do not reimburse ATM fees. What am I missing. Do I need to ask for something special?

6 hours ago, ToS2014 said:

I tried opening the Bangkok Bank transfer account....when I attempted to 'hook' up my USA bank to the BB account in NY and then to Thailand my USA bank wanted to verify a test deposit.  I did this 'test' three times to no avail.  My USA bank did a small (<$.50) to the BB NY bank and after a few days it I saw it in my Thai account; albeit in THB.  I tried to figure out the exchange rate and transfer fees but every time I tried to verify the 'test' transfer it was 'off' a few pennies, thus my USA bank cancelled the transfer connection.

Its much easier to walk into a BB bank and ask for X amount on my debit card (cash advance) to be deposited into my local account; then, happy using any BB ATM w no fees.

All you have to do is ask Bangkok Bank and they can advise the exact amount received - head office would be well aware of this as done often.  If you have SMS set up the exact details are automatically sent to your phone any time there is a foreign deposit made (and costs you nothing extra).  

6 hours ago, ToS2014 said:

You made a simple mistake of not calling or visit Bangkok Bank so they could tell you the exact amount of foreign currency received...in this cases pennies.   I've done the test deposit setup many times with my Bangkok Bank accounts and my U.S. banks....no problems as long as you know the exact amount of the deposits by contacting Bangkok Bank.  As you found out trying to figure it out youself by using the "probable" exchange rate used and which way the bank rounded (up or down) is not the way to go.

Also, with some banks they offer a Send Only option or Send &  Pull option during the transfer link setup.  The Send Only option usually does not require any test deposits....the transfer link goes active immediately or within a few days without any additional action required by you.  But the Send & Receive method will utilize test deposits.  But if setting up a Send and Receive transfer link "NEVER" try to actually pull money from Bangkok Bank using the link as it will be rejected...Bangkok Bank will reject the pull atttempt....your U.S. bank will receive the "dispproved/rejected" pull request from Bankgok Bank and then your U.S. bank may think some fraudulent transfer has been attempted and deactivate the transfer link and contact you.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Hi TG,

When I opened a fidelity account towards the end of last year my guy (who is a Senior VP and a friend) said they do not reimburse ATM fees. What am I missing. Do I need to ask for something special?

He may be too senior to understand the question, or the details?

Fidelity reimburses the ATM fee, typically within 24 hours, but this can vary based on weekends, holidays, time difference, etc.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/atm-debit-card

Having VPN capability is pretty much essential now days just to access some farang land websites from certain countries.  Even if you don't need the encryption that VPN can provide you need the VPN capability to provide another country's IP address.

7 hours ago, ToS2014 said:

If you had asked here or done any research on the subject, you would have learned or been told that in handling the BKK Bank trial deposits made by your U.S. bank, you need to contact BKKB customer service and get them to tell you the exact U.S. cent amounts that arrived in your account before they were converted to baht.  You can't try to figure out the conversion yourself. (They also have an SMS service that provides the same info if you sign up for it.)

The trial deposits method for setting up the BKKB New York transfer method works perfectly fine -- provided you handle it the correct way.