Thai Drivers License

gnatman

I would like to get a Thai drivers license and need some info as to the requirements.  I live in Thailand with an O visa and a retirement extension.  I have a USA license but it expired in 2013.  Can I still use it to get a Thai license or do I need to apply from scratch?  If I do, what is involved.  I have no plans to return to the US anytime soon, so renewing my license there is not an option.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Thai DL process much like most USA state DMV. Here in Phuket you go early in AM, get in line to apply, then get eye test (far more stringent than AZ DMV) and then take written test, English version. Thai traffic laws much the same as USA. Come back in the afternoon and take road test which is on a course laid out in the back of the MV building. Not an easy test, notably the backing and parking parts. Make sure you are familiar with the car you use for the test, practice the parking beforehand, best to use a small car. After passing you get OK to get the license, so wait in row of seats for your turn. The entire process is on their computer, including computer picture taking. Get one-year license then afterward upgrade with another visit (no tests) to 5-year.

If your USA license was still valid and you had an international drivers license (available from AAA in USA for $20), and the other required documents (i.e. residency certification or yellow house book, copy of passport, etc.) you could bypass the test, video, and driving practical. Just take the vision, reaction and color tests pay 305 baht and get your license (just did this a month or so ago in Nang Rong, Buriram. Also the first license is now good for two years (not one), at least the one I was issued was good for two.

Just now, Ahab said:

If your USA license was still valid and you had an international drivers license (available from AAA in USA for $20), and the other required documents (i.e. residency certification or yellow house book, copy of passport, etc.) you could bypass the test, video, and driving practical. Just take the vision, reaction and color tests pay 305 baht and get your license (just did this a month or so ago in Nang Rong, Buriram. Also the first license is now good for two years (not one), at least the one I was issued was good for two.

You must have gone just after your birthday to get 2 years. Same as the 5 year licence, if you go just after your birthday you will get 6 years.

Just now, giddyup said:

You must have gone just after your birthday to get 2 years. Same as the 5 year licence, if you go just after your birthday you will get 6 years.

No, I got the license in March and my birthday is in April. I think they are issuing two years licenses now vice one year.

Just now, Ahab said:

No, I got the license in March and my birthday is in April. I think they are issuing two years licenses now vice one year.

I got 6 years on my 5 year licence because I went a couple of days after my birthday.

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you see the top of the page where it says Thai Drivers Licence Checklist?

That link is crap, it just takes you to clickbait google ads. Try searching for Thai driver license requirements. And if that doesn't work let me know and I can dig up the requirements.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I got 6 years on my 5 year licence because I went a couple of days after my birthday.

I think Thailand DLT have changed the length of the first (temporary license). My wife got her Thai license a couple of days after I did and hers was also issued for two years (and it was a few days after her birthday).

2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

That link is crap, it just takes you to clickbait google ads. Try searching for Thai driver license requirements. And if that doesn't work let me know and I can dig up the requirements.

Not when I open it. It tells you what you need re documents etc and what you need to do if you have to take the test.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

Temporary ("first") licenses are valid for two years from date of issue (nothing to do with birthday).

Rule changed from one year to two years in March 2015.

For the "five" year DL the "birthday trick" still applies.

2 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Here in Phuket you go early in AM, get in line to apply, then get eye test (far more stringent than AZ DMV) and then take written test, English version. Thai traffic laws much the same as USA. Come back in the afternoon and take road test

Just be aware that it is not that easy at many other places where you need an appointment.

Can take weeks until you can do the tests.

(for me it was 3 weeks)

I saw ridiculous videos from another DLT where the gates burst open and applicants sprint through the yard to the office desks. Only the fittest will get a queue ticket.

If your DL is expired you ahve to attend classes, do test and practical driving.

If you have valid DL you need to translate to thai, get stamped on minjstry of foreign affairs and you will be givven Thai DL based on that.

Did that 3 months ago.

You can ask your embassy for new DL.

11 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

If your DL is expired you ahve to attend classes, do test and practical driving.

If you have valid DL you need to translate to thai, get stamped on minjstry of foreign affairs and you will be givven Thai DL based on that.

Did that 3 months ago.

You can ask your embassy for new DL.

I never got mine translated, just showed them IDP and UK license...But perhaps offices are different..

43 minutes ago, transam said:

I never got mine translated, just showed them IDP and UK license...But perhaps offices are different..

Yes, some countries have agreements with Thailand and these countries doesnt need translation and verification from thai ministry of foreigns affairs in Bangkok. UK is one of these countries. But its like 3-4 countries in the world.

Rest of us needs to go to their embassy, get stamp on english translation of driving licence there, then translate document to thai and then stamp it by thai ministry.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Having a valid IDP saves from needing a translation anyway.

Different from having a local driving license only.

I guess you would insist on a translation for this :tongue:

japandl.jpg

Archived