Buying a car on a Tourist Visa

AlfUK

18 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Licence is not required for a thai or an up body else for that matter to buy a car. Insurance wise not once in many years of buying insurance have i ever been asked to produce my driving licence to them. Had 3 claims on insurance and still not once have i produced my licence. All a thai needs is an ID card and copy of user and house book.

Address on licence is nothing mine was wrong for 4 years never a problem.

I have had the complete opposite experience, copies of licence every time.

10 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Dont know why you don't need to have a do to buy a car

You don't need a copy of your driving license to purchase a car. However, if your car comes with a years free insurance you 'may' be asked for a copy of your driving license for insurance purposes. 

Milage will change depending on how detailed / lazy / efficient your car dealer and insurance agents are. 

In its simplest terms you only need 3 things to purchase a car:

1) Affirmation of Address (for registration purposes)

2) Proof of ID (for registration purposes)

3) Money

• 3 months later...

So much conflicting advice....

For myself, the certificate of residence shouldn't be a problem. That leaves the visa issue. I'm always here on a tourist visa.

Would love to hear from someone with FIRST HAND experience with registering a car while on a TV! If you've done this, please share your experience! Was there any thing special you had to do to get it done? Any special procedures? Special terminology you needed to know?

So far we've spoken to the Department of Land Transportation, who said no, I can't register the car while on TV. Then spoke to 3 car dealers. Two said I can't, but the third said I could, even after I asked him to confirm. Twice.

• 2 months later...

I have a license from Pattaya for a bike and car. Had it for years. At the start of the year, I moved to Bkk, then Bkk immigration refused to give me a residency cert!

Being below 50; who regularly travels never needed a long-term visa. Looks like I'm going to school to learn Thai and keep my car license. I never needed a car of my own, as the GF has one! But reinforces in my mind, the rules are rubbery here!

On 3/14/2018 at 7:37 AM, lyseoy said:

So much conflicting advice....

For myself, the certificate of residence shouldn't be a problem. That leaves the visa issue. I'm always here on a tourist visa.

Would love to hear from someone with FIRST HAND experience with registering a car while on a TV! If you've done this, please share your experience! Was there any thing special you had to do to get it done? Any special procedures? Special terminology you needed to know?

So far we've spoken to the Department of Land Transportation, who said no, I can't register the car while on TV. Then spoke to 3 car dealers. Two said I can't, but the third said I could, even after I asked him to confirm. Twice.

The advice is not really conflicting, people who answer just forget to write one very important thing: In which provice they are. Every province can handle this different

My personal experience regarding the registration of a vehicle on my name while on tourist visa / visa exempt:

Bangkok -> Impossible

Udon Thani -> No problem, just get certificate of residence from immigration police (they would like to see a rental contract or something like that) and then you can register it on your name at the DLT

Edited by jackdd

On 4/30/2017 at 5:39 PM, AlfUK said:

Thank you for the info.  Having to remember to visit the immigration every 90 days and driving perhaps 2 hours to get there seems BS to me.  I would be staying in a hotel so no chance of buying a car. 

Well move closer to the immigration then. job done.