Thai driving licence and Thai bank account

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, from the end of January to the beginning of Mars 2017. I'm back home now.

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

Thai Bank account:

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

Thai Driving Licence:

The day after I went to Land of Transport office.

All they asked was :

- a copy of the passport and immigration card

- a certificate of residence

- 2 photos

- a medical certificate from a Dr with me for DL. It's mandatory !!!  It costed me 120 Baht

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it.... It was mistake, cause if you give a copy of your home DL, you would skip the driving test and still get the Thai DL. I heard that after passing the test...

Anyway, I got an appointment. 3 weeks later I went at 8 o'clock, We sat in a room for 5 hours, watched a DvD about many rules of driving in LoS, was like 5 hours of theory. After we took the driving test and then the written test with 50 questions. 20 minutes later I got the Thai DL, costs 205 Baht valid for 2 years.....

2 hours later I rented this beauty 500 baht/day !!!!

post-140158-0-35528100-1488742938_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-96305900-1488742972_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-89098900-1488742999_thumb.jpg

Good post.  When the wife and I arrived Thailand around 9 years ago when we went to get out drivers licenses by showing our U.S. state drivers license we did not have to take an written/practical tests.   Just to play it safe we also got international drivers licenses before leaving the states (cost like around $100 just to supplement our US licenses "just in case"...showed those international licenses also.   

My US drivers license had a motorcycle endorsement (i.e., good for auto/truck and motorcycle).   So I applied for a Thai regular auto license and motorcycle license....got both.   The wife's US license was for auto/truck only so she only got a regular license...no separate motorcycle license.

With Thai drivers license requirements changing...now the 4 to 5 hour of training needed....and possibly changing to 15 hours....best to come over with valid/unexpired drivers license from your home country as it just may save you grief and training time in getting a Thai drivers license. 

i did 10 years in thailand and i would say it is better to not bother with a motorbike licence. the way it is going with getting hassled by the cops and stricter drink driving i thing motorbike taxis and songtaus are better options. i will probably head back to thailand when my kids are through school, my licence will be expired by then and i wont bother getting it again. i will probably use an ebike most of the time. i am selling them in new zealand and they come with great motors and a had throttle. 

as far bank accounts go i have a couple already but if i didnt or they expire i would not bother with them again. i think it is better just to have a couple ATM cards from my home country and withdraw 30 000thb every second week to cover expenses. 

If the OP had taken the time to read any number of posts on different parts of this forum he would have been aware about using his home licence.

A UK IDP (not licence..........) is £5.50 at selected UK post offices or £8.50 via the post from the AA (inc. £3 P&P) 

I am also pleasantly surprised he found it so easy to open a bank account when you hear of some of the issues faced by certain posters on here and other forums...........:coffee1:

PS - I know one residence cert. from Jomtien is 300 baht (done recently) but not sure about the cost for 2?.

1 hour ago, topt said:

PS - I know one residence cert. from Jomtien is 300 baht (done recently) but not sure about the cost for 2?.

17 hours ago, Los Luver said:

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

22 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I queried it as when I was last there I thought people were paying 5 or 6 hundred for 2 but I could have been wrong and was hoping someone else could confirm

30 minutes ago, topt said:

I queried it as when I was last there I thought people were paying 5 or 6 hundred for 2 but I could have been wrong and was hoping someone else could confirm

I got 4 Certs from jomtiem costing me 1200 baht. 

No multi discount for me :-(

I tried to get a Certificate of Residence from BKK immigration 1 to renew my 2 yr license and was informed that a METV wasn't sufficient, and I would need a 12 mth Non Immigration OA or O to obtain one. They said I'd need to go to my Embassy for one... Not sure if I have BKK address if I can obtain CR from Pattaya?? 

30 minutes ago, owenm said:

I tried to get a Certificate of Residence from BKK immigration 1 to renew my 2 yr license and was informed that a METV wasn't sufficient, and I would need a 12 mth Non Immigration OA or O to obtain one. They said I'd need to go to my Embassy for one... Not sure if I have BKK address if I can obtain CR from Pattaya?? 

Usually you need to be doing 90 day address reporting with your "assigned" immigration office which means you have a long stay/1 year type Visa/Extension of Stay.  

Example:  your assigned immigration office based on your residence like the Bangkok immigration is for people who live in Bangkok and have the appropriate visa/extension of stay.  People who live in Nakhon Pathom province and have the appropriate visa/extension of stay must use the Nahkon Pathom immigration office.  Etc...etc...etc.   Based on your residence.

I've obtained certificates of residence on 2 occasions from Pattaya and both times I just had a tourist visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 5/1/2017 at 8:27 AM, Pib said:

Good post.  When the wife and I arrived Thailand around 9 years ago when we went to get out drivers licenses by showing our U.S. state drivers license we did not have to take an written/practical tests.   Just to play it safe we also got international drivers licenses before leaving the states (cost like around $100 just to supplement our US licenses "just in case"...showed those international licenses also.   

My US drivers license had a motorcycle endorsement (i.e., good for auto/truck and motorcycle).   So I applied for a Thai regular auto license and motorcycle license....got both.   The wife's US license was for auto/truck only so she only got a regular license...no separate motorcycle license.

With Thai drivers license requirements changing...now the 4 to 5 hour of training needed....and possibly changing to 15 hours....best to come over with valid/unexpired drivers license from your home country as it just may save you grief and training time in getting a Thai drivers license. 

$100 for an international license? Mine costed $15 from AAA. It is not even needed in Thailand. 

Archived