Trump invites leaders of Thailand, Singapore to the White House

webfact

1 minute ago, MorristheRunt said:

Deluded

Well thailand is far better off than it was before or is it that you prefer the insecurity, protests, road blockages, airport closures ....  I could go on but no point ..  :coffee1:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well whatever .... but it's obvious that Trump acknowledges that Khun Prayuth is the PM ...  

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

. you have a saying in that you know when you vote. 

I would question that statement, though for sure there remains an illusion that your candidate will actually do what they say and not what they are told, Trump pursuing the same goals as previous mob!

Is there a legitimate legal leader of Thailand that the USA recognizes?  Often the USA verbally anyway, would not recognize military coup leaders that took over a country.  Of course the USA seems to change how it applies whatever rules it uses

3 minutes ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

That's because most of Thailand's previous illegitimate PM's were installed  by the White House.

Own up? you just made that up didn't you! even the white house wouldn't put some of the clowns that have performed here in power!

14 minutes ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Are you totally ignorant of the history of Thai-US relations since WWII?

Obviously not as well informed as your good self, have a nice day now!

49 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Oh, I understand that it is a bit of an overreaction. But not outside the realm of possibilities. I agree that the US should not start a war...someone needs to tell that to the clown in charge. I doubt when US citizens voted in the last election that they had a war with NK on their minds. I guess by 2020, the US voter will maybe understand what is exactly at stake when you put an idiot in charge.

I get your point nobody votes for a war.. but just mean before someone goes to war a lot of things happen. Ok its not outside the realm of possibilities. I just don't think there is a high chance for it. 

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

I would question that statement, though for sure there remains an illusion that your candidate will actually do what they say and not what they are told, Trump pursuing the same goals as previous mob!

Oh i agree.. similar to Holland vote for one party and not sure what they will do. But in my country its mainly because coalition governments have to be formed (many party system) now 3 parties are going to form the goverment.. all with different views.. so many negotiations and in the end not much of what people voted for stays that way because the other parties want something else. 

PM accepts Trump’s invitation to Washington

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37Tr952kihrZWUxKcRCkXurP

BANGKOK: -- President Donald Trump has invited Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha to Washington amid growing tension in the Korean Peninsula.

Government deputy spokesman Lt Gen Weeracon Sukhothapatipak said today that President Trump talked on the phone with the prime minister yesterday and invited him to Washington to discuss the regional situation and economic cooperation.

He said the prime minister has accepted his invitation but official date has not yet been scheduled.

The deputy spokesman said the US President has expressed concern over the situation in the region, not particularly on the Korean Peninsula.

He said Thailand is ready to give cooperation and support in any issue that will benefit the world community.

According to the White House, President Trump invited the leaders of Thailand and Singapore to the White House amid growing tensions over North Korea’s nuclear ambitions.

Trump talked on the phone with Prime Minister Prayut and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore.

They expressed a strong shared interest in strengthening trade and economic ties, the White House said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-accepts-trumps-invitation-washington/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-01

3 minutes ago, Thechook said:

So does this mean trump supports coups and coup leaders

It shows the USA sees PM Prayut as the legitimate leader of Thailand. If they did not why would they invite him to the white house something the former puppet PM never achieved. Unless of course the US cares more about its own safety and that of Korea and does not mind dealing with anyone to achieve their objectives. But that is something the US would never do, in my opinion. They have high moral standards over there. 

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The good general might get a talking to by somebody who he has no way of bullying.  As per all discussion with heads of state, they will understand how unique Thailand's problems are, and why free speech needed to be suspended.  It will be interesting to see what sort of conversation takes place.

It will be interesting to read when they return. I am sure the good general will learn new and more gratifying forms of self praise from the Donald who wrote the book on self praise. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Looks like Thrump has no problem with an army general in charge.. an invite  to the white house.. can anyone remember YL getting one ?

Trump wants to learn about governing from the best. And you know what with the rest. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

But that is something the US would never do, in my opinion. They have high moral standards over there. 

Wow. You sure have changed your tune regarding the US after this invitation. Or were you being ironic?

7 minutes ago, Becker said:

Wow. You sure have changed your tune regarding the US after this invitation. Or were you being ironic?

Ironic of course.. just shows that they don't really care who is in charge as long as it suits their needs. Do you think those Syrian rebels are so much better as Assad or that arming the Taliban against the Russians was such a good idea ?.

Point is the US (and other countries) love to talk about democracy and say they have high standards and so on but when its better for their needs to ignore them they do so. 

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth has worked hard to get Thailand back on the international stage ... previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house.

The previous PM now  overseas was  maybe not at the White House but was invited to and was speaking at the United Nations in the US when his Gov was overthrown by a coup.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth has worked hard to get Thailand back on the international stage ... previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house.

"previous illegitimate PM's"

So you acknowledge the current PM is illegitimate.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

So does this mean trump supports coups and coup leaders

Before Trump the president did not invite generals who installed themselves into power by overthrowing a democratic government. Trump has an instinctive fondness for self-promoting strong men with no regard for law or human rights.  Trump also is known for making decisions with long term consequences in total ignorance.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

It shows the USA sees PM Prayut as the legitimate leader of Thailand. If they did not why would they invite him to the white house something the former puppet PM never achieved. Unless of course the US cares more about its own safety and that of Korea and does not mind dealing with anyone to achieve their objectives. But that is something the US would never do, in my opinion. They have high moral standards over there. 

Don't mistake the view of the USA with the views of Trump.  He lost the popular vote by a significant margin.

According to the second PBS news in this thread, and also according to an article in the BP, this is clearly about North Korea. Trump is trying to get support from ASEAN and Thailand is part of it. All the speculation about a better recognition  of the current government and its achievements is BS.

Edited by candide

It doesn't matter at this point what the electorate may have wanted. Trump is the President and while I do not like any of his agenda- I understand why he would invite the leaders of the Philippines and Thailand to the WH. Trump knows that a war with N Korea would be a long hard victory with millions of deaths.

The US has a long relationship with the Philippines and Thailand- of which both countries allowed basing of US Forces. The bases are still there. Trump wants to get a feel of how much support he can get from both countries. Would Thailand allow the Americans to use the bases in a war situation or a buildup to war. The Americans will need to rush in 100,000 ground forces and hundreds of attack jets and their supporting arms. They can't base them all in the war zone for obvious reasons and militarily would want to disperse them throughout various countries.

China is the elephant in the room. Both countries are trying to play the US off of China but if there is a showdown- they will choose the US. The US has the ability to neutralize China if necessary and the Asian countries know this. So does China- and I doubt very much they would sacrifice everything they have to support  NOrth Korea which is eventually destined to  implode without changes.

The end game is to have China guarantee the survival of N Korea and give up their nuclear program or at least freeze it where it is right now; the Americans stop the military exercises and withdraw some troops; and  both the US ; South Korea and North Korea sign a peace agreement. Everybody lives and saves face.

The very fact that the US is reaching out shows me that there is some rationale behind this and the US military is starting to look at forward deployment either as a reality or showing  N. Korea they mean business.

South China Sea and North Korea are serious issues. I did not vote for Trump but as our President I hope he succeeds and proves me wrong. Talking to world leaders from Asia is a good thing.  

Edited by Wake Up