When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

webfact

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.

What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.

Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

Come to kanchanaburi Colin you will be unaware of it here

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asked why people turn to the sex trade 30% said it was economic hardship, 25% thought people were tricked or forced into it, 21% said poverty in families was to blame while nearly 12% pointed to greed and consumerism.

All true, a daughter here is looked at as an asset. Any culture that embraces the dowry is placing a monetary value on their children. Foreigners are a bonus because they enlarge the market, there are plenty of 70 plus Poo Yais in the villages that have 20 something wives and Mia Nois.

20 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

This is true the majority of tourists come here to shag.
I did and if the truth be known I'll bet 99 percent of members of this forum did..... why not? Thailand is a shag fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think you are a bit behind the reality, Thailand has become a family tourist place in the last 20 years! Maybe you should visit more places than the ladybars. :shock1:

this is true. just last night on social media on a learn to speak English forum a Thai female university student asked me to help her with her English final exam. She sent me all the questions and then asked me if there was some way she could repay me if I helped her.

wink wink nudge nudge say no more. but i did not do it.

31 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

This is true the majority of tourists come here to shag.
I did and if the truth be known I'll bet 99 percent of members of this forum did..... why not? Thailand is a shag fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The majority of tourists under 40 or so go to Spain / Greece / Gambia / anywhere hot for the same reason: Alcohol, sun, drugs and rudies. Why would Thailand be unique? It's what your fortnight away from the cold and the drudgery is all about at that age...

20 minutes ago, salavan said:

Come to kanchanaburi Colin you will be unaware of it here

really? You have not seen the bars in Kanchanaburi near the river or the big disco near the park owned by a military Thai man full of Thai girls? And this is only what Farangs see.

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

when I think of Thailand I think of Temples ...    what is shag   ?   what is shag fest  ?   tks

Shag is loose tobacco. A shag fest is when you smoke a lot of it in a short period of time.

2 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Having spent almost 8 years in Vietnam in 1977 when I first came to Thailand I happened to see Thailand as a definite 2nd place as a "Sex destination" to Vietnam.

Maybe 2nd place to Vietnam before, but certainly not in 1977.

Unfortunately this is true. The western perspectives of Thailand is rather quite shocking. But the reality is, it simply is not true and has been blown well out of proportion.

The Thai sex industry is only here for those who go seeking it, just like any other country. Central and Eastern Europe, Britain, America and Australia have a flourishing sex industry that rarely gets a mention and in fact, in many of these countries prostitution is actually legal.

When i was a teen i remember a lot of news about the thai police planting drugs on tourists and robbing them . It was big news in the seventies . Everything in uk was made in thailand , not china like the little welsh doll i bought on the top of snowden .By the eighties all i thought thailand was about was corruption and sex .
 When i came to thialand i learned a bit more and found out about pattaya and phuket and not wanting to met the type of pervs that go there i went to udon thani/nong  khai .Even though most of the bar girls come from udon there is  very little farang sex trade up here but a lot of prostitutes for thai men but pretty much hidden .Basically thailand has had a reputation for corruption and prostitutes for all of my life and if you really polled thias and they give honest answers there would be 100% people who would say foreigners think of thailand for sex . Even the poor rice farmers in my village know this esp as a lot of their daughters work in it so the poll is rubbish

25 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Unfortunately this is true. The western perspectives of Thailand is rather quite shocking. But the reality is, it simply is not true and has been blown well out of proportion.

The Thai sex industry is only here for those who go seeking it, just like any other country. Central and Eastern Europe, Britain, America and Australia have a flourishing sex industry that rarely gets a mention and in fact, in many of these countries prostitution is actually legal.

This is true, except the one thing people seem to forget is that Thailand's sex industry is somewhat unique to those that you have mentioned above.

For all of your examples above, prostitutes go short time and offer sex. In Thailand, prostitutes offer both sex and paid companionship, sometimes resembling a girlfriend experience.

For the lonely or socially awkward types, that is often the real attraction. One could make the arguement that it is affection and a temporary cure for loneliness that that attracts the single male tourist, and not necessarily the sex.

if it was solely about getting laid, why fly halfway around the world at great expense for it?

12 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

The poll says Thais think foreigners are going to Lumpini park and  WONG WIEN YAI  for sex ? 

I just realized ... maybe the Thais know something I don't ! 

Tonight I will cruise around Lumpini park to see if there is a party! 

I really have no argument for their conclusions. Wasn't the poll framed of as "what foreigners THINK of" when they think of Thailand? If that is true and they were better informed they would also include

unexplained deaths

many suicides

being conned / cheated in some way

easily obtained harmful substances such as at the Full Moon Parties

etc etc etc

this is true. just last night on social media on a learn to speak English forum a Thai female university student asked me to help her with her English final exam. She sent me all the questions and then asked me if there was some way she could repay me if I helped her.

wink wink nudge nudge say no more. but i did not do it.

[/url]  

You should have banged it!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, survivalblue said:

Obviously the polls are made by people intending to influence other people and create discontent and anger in society.  Which in response is directed towards the tourists.

I am here to see the polls in action! Hub of polls!

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.
What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.
Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

Most Thais are well aware of what goes on. Regards to saving face for themselves and country, Thais might act aloof when asked for this very reason.

A whopping 58% of Thais asked in the Bansomdej poll said that foreigners see Thailand as a leading sex destination of the world. Some 29% said they didn't know and about 13% were not sure.

What utter bullshit from supposition and badly reported poll.

How can Thais possibly know what foreigners think about Thailand? Unless you are 100% fluent in another language you have no idea what that other culture is thinking. 

3 hours ago, HooHaa said:

I think you had better re-read the op. You are managing to jump to conclusions regarding the attitudes of thos polled that simply arent there. 

In fact places mentioned like lumpini park, massage parlours and the mae hong son scandal all point to the domestic trade.

Right, the domestic trade.

Seen the 5% share of the sex trade in Thailand for the tourists and 95% for the Thai, it is a domestic "problem".

But it seems to run parallel with the idea to blame tourists and expats for all wrongs in Thai society.

Thereby forgetting the amount of money from abroad brought in by tourists and expats.

Archived