Intending to leave the UK to live in Thailand. Help needed to know a few facts

Keith5588

Just now, DILLIGAD said:

Also expectations only grow, they don't (usually) get less so start as you mean to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Only going to end bad if it starts with payments and deception.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen ,Thai women are the same as all women around the world ,if they love you ,they stay with you and take care of you ,as you do to them ,  thats it ,end of . if a woman is with you just for money , then up to you what you do , if she is a good sh --- then stay till the fun ends , 

Listen ,Thai women are the same as all women around the world ,if they love you ,they stay with you and take care of you ,as you do to them ,  thats it ,end of . if a woman is with you just for money , then up to you what you do , if she is a good sh --- then stay till the fun ends , 

I sort of agree and disagree with you.
Western 'perceptions' are sometimes very different from that of a Thai. To me, it seems like (for good&Bad) relationships are considered by 'locals' more like a business transaction (income v expenditure). Stability is key and sometimes not just for the partner & kids. For some expats, that just does not compute in their 'westernized' minds just like the idea of faithfulness when a partner is away for very long periods of time.
Just my 2 penneth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/1/2017 at 10:10 PM, Keith5588 said:

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies.

I need to telephone HMRC about another matter and will ask them a few questions.

I have thought a lot about what to do, there is some truth to the saying of old people "that they do not regret anything they have done, it's what they didn't do that they regret". I have a large garden and without family near it is difficult to just go and leave my home empty except over the Winter months and then neighbours and friends helped last time by visiting my house. Now renting out my house seems to be best way forward.

My Thai girlfriend is 50 years old.  I think most Thai females look for financial security when they are with a farang, but I'm not going to build her a house (she has her own house in her village), or get married. I just feel it is right to give it a chance in being with her for a longer time, actually last time we were together for only 6 weeks but it was 24/7 always together.

All the 3 letting agents I saw seem to feel it is best for me to inform HMRC that I will be letting my house and living abroad. One said that some landlords do not inform HMRC but HMRC usually eventually find out.  I cannot lie to the letting agency as I would need to be informed and also probably make decisions about tenants and repairs etc.

Yes I worked hard for over 40 years.

Thanks

Keith

If I was you I would go for it. You are not going to live forever. Don't let some of these other guys try to scare you off by saying what if this relationship doesn't develop. When I first came here some 9 or 10 years ago I wasn't even in any serious relatonship at all, and that sure didn't stop me from having fun here. I never regretted that either. 

Not sure of the property tax laws in the UK, but in Canada it would work like this. On the day you move out and start renting your house, this would be the day of desposition. The day you sold your house to yourself. You of course would have to pay tax on rental income, but if you should decide to move back in to your house say 5 years later, that would be another day of deposition, or the day your bought your house back from yourself.

The Capital Gains would be set on the difference from when you started to rent out your property and the day you decided to move back in, or sell it. So if your house value increased by 10% in those 5 years, you would only have to pay Capital Gains on that increase and not the full value of your house. So it would be a good idea to have your property appraised when you start to rent it out, and again when you move back in. 

Looks to me you have given this move a lot of thought and have all your Ducks in Order. Maybe some other guys can give you some advice on what to bring with you and those hard to get things here in Thailand. I know I have a long list if I were to go back home now.  

Do you plan to rent or live with your Girlfriend in the village? I do think it is good advice not to buy a properrty right away. Some will even say never. But once you get estrablished, and know where you want to live, then you can look at it then. Just make sure you check your property and area very carefully. That cute summer cottage type house in the day time might turn into a nightmare with a Disco Bar across the street or down the road a bit, or wild dogs dragging the garbage down the center of the street, causing all the Hounds from Hell to start barking at them all night long. .

Christ, how many horror stories and toss being thrown around like Thailand is the only place you will get gutted.
Theres more than the fair share of guys over here because they got hung out to dry by wives in their home countries and left with sweet f.a.
Whats the difference here or there especially when theres kids involved
Get on with it and enjoy what you can while you can

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 02/05/2017 at 5:24 PM, transam said:

Well I have read the posts......Now this is absolutely true because I helped the old guy with paperwork...I have written the story before but here it is again...

An old fella near mes friend got sussed by the UK for living in LOS but using a UK address...Perhaps he was grassed up, I don't know. Shit hit the fan, UK wanted their money back and he now lives back in the UK cos he cannot give their money back...

My friend was doing the same thing and came clean a couple of years back with the UK saying he NOW lived in LOS...They came back with, yes, since 2008.........:shock1:

His pension was set at the 2008 level and he had to pay back the difference he received...

You posted something identical to this some time ago,but could not, would not elaborate.  If this @friend@ of yours was on jobseekers allowance, disabled or pension credits, yes he might be asked for contribution  ,never 8 years worth,  just hot air actually,

Have to be pragmatic here, one year, two perhaps then the losses mount,untilThailand becomes unaffordable if OAP is main source. of income,   NON returned mail is the only way suspicion is aroused then mailboxes.com  SP. US or PH   anywhere actually will do.  Its your money, earned by you...keep it     PS  renewed UKdriving licence recently too   cheers

3 minutes ago, teddog said:

You posted something identical to this some time ago,but could not, would not elaborate.  If this @friend@ of yours was on jobseekers allowance, disabled or pension credits, yes he might be asked for contribution  ,never 8 years worth,  just hot air actually,

Have to be pragmatic here, one year, two perhaps then the losses mount,untilThailand becomes unaffordable if OAP is main source. of income,   NON returned mail is the only way suspicion is aroused then mailboxes.com  SP. US or PH   anywhere actually will do.  Its your money, earned by you...keep it     PS  renewed UKdriving licence recently too   cheers

Yes I posted it before because I know it was fact...I never said he paid back 8 years worth, I said they said we know...... 2008...Cough up cash...

Something to think about...In the UK you NOW do not have a tax disc on your car....Why is that............?..........Why because tech has moved on, and so tech will move on for folk telling porkies regarding claiming UK cash.....It WILL happen and if they find you they WILL want their money back.....Bank on it...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes I posted it before because I know it was fact...I never said he paid back 8 years worth, I said they said we know...... 2008...Cough up cash...

Something to think about...In the UK you NOW do not have a tax disc on your car....Why is that............?..........Why because tech has moved on, and so tech will move on for folk telling porkies regarding claiming UK cash.....It WILL happen and if they find you they WILL want their money back.....Bank on it...

Please I am not banking on anything from you,you have not a clue on what you are on about

Edited by teddog

If you had the cash value of the house would you buy a house and rent it when you're 8,000 miles away? Have you heard the story of the two blokes arguing over a cow? One has a hold of the horns, one has a hold of the tail and in the middle there's a lawyer milking it. Letting agents make lawyers look like amateurs. You've got a massive problem of agency here: the agents "job" as far as they see it is to enrich themselves, consistent with you not actually firing them: and that can be harder than you think. 

The downside with having money or financial instruments is that - if you're silly - they're easier to steal. But given the choice between a £400,000 house and £400,000 worth of investments I'd take the investments every time. Getting 4-5% tax paid isn't difficult, you can sell a bit of an investment but you can't sell a bit of a house (allowing you to crystalise 11k a year), the companies have already invested half their profits in future growth before you get the divi, so the long-term prospects are better than you'd think, selling the house is a tax free gain if you do it as your principal private residence...

I know someone will say that you need the house to come back to, investments are risky, and property always goes up in value. Fine :smile: