Indian Restaurants Mystery, Ace Detectives Needed

fforest1

I agree, some of the restaurants can survive with only 10 customers per day because of the markup prices.. So they may look empty but for the owners it's business as usual. Most of the Indian restaurants are run by families living and working together.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm amused by the obsession about high Indian restaurant markups compared to other foreign cuisines here like French.

Most Brits are probably more interested in Indian restaurants than French ones but even so in a thread specifically about Indian restaurants it doesn't seem obsessive to concentrate on them. I doubt that many French style restaurants here would try to charge 300B for 30B worth of ingredients anyway. I may be wrong.

Most Brits are probably more interested in Indian restaurants than French ones but even so in a thread specifically about Indian restaurants it doesn't seem obsessive to concentrate on them. I doubt that many French style restaurants here would try to charge 300B for 30B worth of ingredients anyway. I may be wrong.

I think you're exaggerating the Indian markups.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think you're exaggerating the Indian markups.

Not all are that high certainly, but I have honestly seen biriyanis here that contained barely 30B worth of spiced rice, carrots, cauliflower, potato and a knobbly bone or two of chicken and that had a menu price of 300B. This is no bargain.

For the same price I have had perfectly decent two-course French meals made with nice ingredients. Not to mention things like the Casa Pascal brunch or the Sizzler fish and chips lunch, both of which come in at way under that price and are entirely respectable.

Ok last night I gave a walk-by at 8PM sharp..

I looked at all the Indian restaurants there closely... 

!st Indian restaurant on the north end of 2nd road had 1 customer..

2nd one had 2 customers.. 

3rd about 25% full

4th about 70% full

5th about 25% full

6th had no customers..

The customers were all Indian except for one lonely farang eating

by himself.... 

I think that location might support a single Indian restaurant,

But not 6 in a row unless a whole lot more Indians start

coming to Pattaya....

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I think that location might support a single Indian restaurant,

But not 6 in a row unless a whole lot more Indians start

coming to Pattaya....

sometimes i can't sleep worrying about these poor Indian restaurant owners pertaining to their financial well being. perhaps we should establish some welfare fund to subsidise them till "a whole lot more Indians start coming to Pattaya"? :unsure:

sometimes i can't sleep worrying about these poor Indian restaurant owners pertaining to their financial well being. perhaps we should establish some welfare fund to subsidise them till "a whole lot more Indians start coming to Pattaya"? :unsure:

Welfare fund?

Maybe they already receive a fund from other sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

Welfare fund?
Maybe they already receive a fund from other sources.

perhaps from the British Empire which after Brexit has a surplus of cash? :smile:

Archived