Indian Restaurants Mystery, Ace Detectives Needed

fforest1

Can anyone explain why the Indian resturants that are located

directly across from Central Festival on 2nd rd are still in business

after 2 or 3 years now when they almost never have any customers?

There were 3 Indian restaurants there...Business was so bad 

they expanded to 4 now 5 Indian restaurants .....

Any time I check them out day or night ,week day or weekend

alls I ever see is empty restaurants,with maybe 3 or 4 customers

max.....I bet the rent is not cheap for that location...

I just don't get it....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the business is not bad, only appears to be. And if it really is that bad, like you say then they just use it to launder money, and it's a front. Many people do it. 

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Madras Darbar is often packed with customers. 

It's called a restaurant row.

Next ...

O really I have checked out the Indian restaurants across from Centeral Festival at least 100 times in the last few years including prime time 7-9 PM and have seen zilch for customer's ever...Not even once....

30 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

O really I have checked out the Indian resturants there at least

100 times in the last few years including prime time 7-9 PM

and have seen zilch for customer's ever, not once.....

Fake news. :stoner:

Seriously, I think this entire topic is vile and based on a totally false assertion. I have eaten in three of the restaurants there, and yes there are even more there now. Madras Darbar, again is often packed. Please stop spreading LIES. I have personally experience eating there, multiple times, when they were packed. That one is the most popular on the roe but the other ones aren't always empty either. 

I s

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Fake news. :stoner:

Seriously, I think this entire topic is vile and based on a totally false assertion. I have eaten in three of the restaurants there, and yes there are even more there now. Madras Darbar, again is often packed. Please stop spreading LIES. I have personally experience eating there, multiple times, when they were packed. That one is the most popular on the roe but the other ones aren't always empty either. 

This is not a joke or lie...I stand by what I say 100%...

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I have checked out the Indian restaurants across from Centeral Festival at least 100 times in the last few years including prime time 7-9 PM

Another Pattaya drive-by business analysis.

JSixpack will be along shortly to explain what you are doing wrong.

If that's the case, you should open a Subway! I love the sandwiches and you can come up with a special, Vegetarian Indian

Special Sub for 79 baht. I think you have found a great location for your new Subway. Congrats!

I am with the original poster, I drive past them countless times and they seem empty. Maybe one thing could be the pricing. I like indian food but I will not pay the ridiculous prices they ask for, like 175 Bht for a small bowl containing 5 Bht,s worth of chicken in a madras sauce. Better to go to a typical Thai eatery and buy steamed rice, stir fried veg, and a pork curry for a grand total of around 35 Bht !

7 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Maybe the business is not bad, only appears to be. And if it really is that bad, like you say then they just use it to launder money, and it's a front. Many people do it. 

Money laundering and other illegal dealings are the way many of these businesses in LOS make their money..How do you think that those GO GO bars keep in business in Pattaya with many employees few customers and paying off the BIB every month.

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

wow ....  are you one of those cheap charlies  ..  I heard there a many in Bangkok also ...

Have you been to Makro recently ? Chicken costs next to nothing, and all the spices required are easily locally available. If a Thai offers you a curry dish for 25 Bht and an indian offers you the same for 175 Bht, please let us all know which one you would buy :)

1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

Have you been to Makro recently ? Chicken costs next to nothing, and all the spices required are easily locally available. If a Thai offers you a curry dish for 25 Bht and an indian offers you the same for 175 Bht, please let us all know which one you would buy :)

Indian restaurants are too expensive .....  I like their food .. I like beef vindaloo  ..  but too pricey for me.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Comparing a Thai curry with an Indian curry.

You just shot your already questionable credibility in the foot.

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A beef vindaloo ? in an Indian restaurant ?
emoji848.png

Yes.

Aloo  i think is potato.

I have never had  beef in an Indian restaurant,   but im sure its there.

I prefer Chicken or lamb in Indian restaurants around the world. :jap:

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Better to go to a typical Thai eatery and buy steamed rice, stir fried veg, and a pork curry for a grand total of around 35 Bht !

WHERE??? Can you show us a place in Pattaya for this price please? I not believe. Maybe 20 years ago.

The normal prices for this include the fried egg start around 55 THB but never 35 THB.

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Money laundering and other illegal dealings are the way many of these businesses in LOS make their money..How do you think that those GO GO bars keep in business in Pattaya with many employees few customers and paying off the BIB every month.

Yep, the popular "insiders" TVF Poster Colorectal Theory Of Thai Economics postulates money laundering as the reason our members can't see any buyers in the malls, go gos, hotels, restaurants, condos, or shops. Or if there are any, they're merely looking not buying, as the idea of looking before buying, as in other countries, might imply that money can change hands when we're (cough) not looking--which would in turn mean the "insiders" Colorectal Theory is just full of crap.

I've seen large groups of Indians in those restos sometimes, evidently tour groups.

A beef vindaloo ? in an Indian restaurant ?
[emoji848]

Well I just googled it and apparently not all Indians are Hindu, there are Indians who are Muslim, Christian and Buddhist who have no problem eating beef, so a beef vindaloo is a thing apparently, well who'd have thunk it ? , not me !
And yes, I should get out more [emoji20]

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well I just googled it and apparently not all Indians are Hindu, there are Indians who are Muslim, Christian and Buddhist who have no problem eating beef, so a beef vindaloo is a thing apparently, well who'd have thunk it ? , not me !
And yes, I should get out more emoji20.png

I have seen beef as an option in Indian restaurants in the UK but not elsewhere.

BTW, the Beef Dopiaza at the Light of Bengal on Rose Street in Aberdeen is to die for.

I have seen beef as an option in Indian restaurants in the UK but not elsewhere.

BTW, the Beef Dopiaza at the Light of Bengal on Rose Street in Aberdeen is to die for.

I don't remember seeing beef in an Indian before but it has been a while and some days I struggle to remember my own name [emoji51]

The closest I get to a curry now is in the " restaurant south " as my gf calls it !
Some unrecognisable meat in a really spicy sauce !! It's actually very good [emoji4]

8 hours ago, fforest1 said:

O really I have checked out the Indian restaurants across from Centeral Festival at least 100 times in the last few years including prime time 7-9 PM and have seen zilch for customer's ever...Not even once....

...the same clientele frequent the tailor shops and ruggeries.

31 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don't remember seeing beef in an Indian before but it has been a while and some days I struggle to remember my own name emoji51.png

The closest I get to a curry now is in the " restaurant south " as my gf calls it !
Some unrecognisable meat in a really spicy sauce !! It's actually very good emoji4.png

..so thats where my two cats went.

I never ever quite understand why people are interested whether a business is busy or not- it's a total mystery. 

I can sort of understand the idea that a busy restaurant is hopefully good- but to fret over the fact that some restaurants are quiet - weird. 

Archived