Indian Restaurants Mystery, Ace Detectives Needed

fforest1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Fake news. :stoner:

Seriously, I think this entire topic is vile and based on a totally false assertion. I have eaten in three of the restaurants there, and yes there are even more there now. Madras Darbar, again is often packed. Please stop spreading LIES. I have personally experience eating there, multiple times, when they were packed. That one is the most popular on the roe but the other ones aren't always empty either. 

Totally agree, this time your opinion is quite true !

People think that what they see sometimes is the true when they would just need to read Tripadvisor to find many reviews of all these restaurants.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I never ever quite understand why people are interested whether a business is busy or not- it's a total mystery. 

I can sort of understand the idea that a busy restaurant is hopefully good- but to fret over the fact that some restaurants are quiet - weird. 

Because unlike you and most Thai, some people use their brain for something else but eat and poop. I even like to know totally useless things sometimes, incredible, right ?

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A beef vindaloo ? in an Indian restaurant ?
emoji848.png

saw a documentary on takeaways (BBC)…..the contest was won by an englishman….he made a lot of goa inspired dishes…..goa is where vindaloo

was first created.

2 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Yes.

Aloo  i think is potato.

I have never had  beef in an Indian restaurant,   but im sure its there.

I prefer Chicken or lamb in Indian restaurants around the world. :jap:

You will NEVER get beef in a bona fife Indian restaurant - cows are sacred creatures and cannot be eaten ( or cooked for anyone else ) 

23 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

saw a documentary on takeaways (BBC)…..the contest was won by an englishman….he made a lot of goa inspired dishes…..goa is where vindaloo

was first created.

Curry powder is a British invention, and and while it somewhat resembles the North Indian spice mixture called garam masala, it really isn't a spice mixture most Indian cooks would recognize. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/in-defense-of-curry-powder-191005

7 minutes ago, anfh said:

You will NEVER get beef in a bona fife Indian restaurant - cows are sacred creatures and cannot be eaten ( or cooked for anyone else ) 

India is a big country and I'm not sure what you mean by a "bona fife" Indian restaurant. Are you implying that Kerala State is not a part of India?

Beef is a secular dish in Kerala. Much of Kerala’s population, cutting across class, caste and religion, consumes it.

http://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-how-beef-became-malayalis-object-of-desire/

BTW, I am with the OP.

And it is not just the ones on Second Road that I am talking about.

I would say this past couple of years, every soi seems to have at least one  "Indian Restaurant" open up, and they seem to do none to very little trade.

I don't get it myself.

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Have you been to Makro recently ? Chicken costs next to nothing, and all the spices required are easily locally available. If a Thai offers you a curry dish for 25 Bht and an indian offers you the same for 175 Bht, please let us all know which one you would buy :)

Maybe they expect their customers to bargain them down in the same manner that they themselves are frequently reported to do?

Anyone care to give it a go?

8 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

BTW, I am with the OP.

And it is not just the ones on Second Road that I am talking about.

I would say this past couple of years, every soi seems to have at least one  "Indian Restaurant" open up, and they seem to do none to very little trade.

I don't get it myself.

If you're saying there might be an oversupply of Indian restaurants, I would tend to agree. Being an Indian restaurant owner now is a deeply challenging proposition. There is just so much competition. 

The Indian restaurants on the Indian "restaurant row" on 2nd road across from Central are positioned more for a somewhat wealthier Indian tourist niche compared to South Pattaya or off Pattaya Klang. I suppose the idea is to associate their brand with the luxury mall.

Again, they aren't always empty. Sometimes especially Madras Darbar is packed and that is a FACT. 

To add, all of them that I've tried so far have quite decent Indian food. Madras Darbar and the two to the right of that. I haven't tried the newer ones yet. 

Madras Darbar was the original restaurant there. It was originally smaller and then expanded to a larger space with more "luxe" seating. Surely they wouldn't have expanded their space if the demand didn't support that.

One question I have about the row is if Madras Darbar owns any of the other places. 

9 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Maybe they expect their customers to bargain them down in the same manner that they themselves are frequently reported to do?

Anyone care to give it a go?

Indian food and Thai food aren't the same thing. Many South Asians aren't willing to eat anything other than South Asian food (at least very often), and those people are likely a core customer base of Indian restaurants here. 

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Curry powder is a British invention, and and while it somewhat resembles the North Indian spice mixture called garam masala, it really isn't a spice mixture most Indian cooks would recognize. 

correct!

OP's observation is wrong.

There are many Indian restaurants in that road, some are not doing well. but this particular one, Madras Durbar is doing well.

Last 6 years I am regularly visiting here during my annual trips, and they match my taste, though it is bit expensive, as long as I get tasty food it doesn't matter.

Warning! This hotel is not a place for cheap charlies!

Look at hotel restaurants in India itself. They often seem near empty, with few customers. That's because Indian travellers prefer to eat in their rooms, not down in the hotel restaurant. Don't discount take-aways and deliveries as a good source of business.

3 minutes ago, taxout said:

Look at hotel restaurants in India itself. They often seem near empty, with few customers. That's because Indian travellers prefer to eat in their rooms, not down in the hotel restaurant. Don't discount take-aways and deliveries as a good source of business.

That's an excellent point. Many Indian restaurants here do the same. I've observed it myself. Lots of delivery service. 

16 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

No, that is not what I am saying, as I said I am with the OP on this subject.

Oh, I see.

I suppose I was hallucinating the times I've eaten at Madras Darbar when most tables were filled, often with families.

Thanks for correcting my reality. 

I've asked many of my Thai friends the same question. Why so many Indian restaurants & tailor shops throughout Pattaya?

They just reply that they would never eat Indian food & that they go to a local Thai tailor for any alterations to clothing. 

Where is the customer base of people coming to a hot country & wanting to buy suits? 

Why are there more Indian restaurants on 2nd rd than even Thai restaurants?

As mentioned by others, most of these restaurants are constantly empty yet still remain open. I've seen western, European & Thai restaurants last a matter of months before closing down. 

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

Why are there more Indian restaurants on 2nd rd than even Thai restaurants?

to confuse people who ask silly questions even though it's none of their business.

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

I've asked many of my Thai friends the same question. Why so many Indian restaurants & tailor shops throughout Pattaya?

They just reply that they would never eat Indian food & that they go to a local Thai tailor for any alterations to clothing. 

because your friends can't afford an Indian tailor. as simple as that :smile:

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Oh, I see.

I suppose I was hallucinating the times I've eaten at Madras Darbar when most tables were filled, often with families.

Thanks for correcting my reality. 

I submit that some folks have the TV habit of seeing what ever, or in this case NOT seeing, what they wish. A "drive by" is not very convincing to me.
I cannot answer about the particular establishments in question, but have been in a number of quite busy Indian restaurants, and at least one of them my Thai girlfriend was pleased about. The example here in Bang Saray has yet to be open for business when I have gone there. I find this cavalier attitude about conducting business somewhat irksome... like the Mayberry style "Gone fishing" sign.

Tailor shops? I have not seen many Thai tailors, really.  I would go to whomever had the material, price, and style that I liked, which might well be one of the many Indian establishments I have seen near Nana (good pharmacy and Bully's pub, arguably the best burger in Bkk,  if any were wondering :) ). As I am not expecting to marry or shuffle off this mortal coil in the immediate future I have been slow about acquiring a new suit.

Archived