Cleaning Ladies inside the bathroom

MrNeilThai

Surprised at first. Doesnt bother me. Got over the nudity thing when I lived in Spain. Topless girls and people taking showers on the beach to get the salt water off them. You tend to get over the nude thing Fast.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/2/2017 at 7:16 PM, MrNeilThai said:

7 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you

From Suradit69:

Obviously you haven't traveled much.  There are even places in farangland where you can pee on the street with crowds passing by. I'm assuming you're from somewhere like Utah or North Dakota??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Suradit 69

I am sorry that you are so miserable as to need to insult someone based on one line from their posting. Try reading the whole thing next time. The intent of the post was to spark a discussion.  The post highlights some of the perceived pros and cons of this practice.

The reason for the posting is that I often welcome guests to Thailand that haven’t been to Asia before and this is something everyone always mentions. No one has any serious problem about it however they are not used to it therefore it comes up in conversation.

It shows low character to make fun of someone for being from Utah or North Dakota. For one nobody can control where they are from.  It is also of low character to insult someone for not traveling a lot. 42 million Americans suffer from hunger.  Travel is not a necessity or possibility for a large percentage of people alive today.

BTW: I am from neither place you have mentioned and have been fortunate to be able to travel to a substantial number of countries in my life.

I hope you find happiness.

Not only Suradit 69 but myself and others who replied to your post made similar comments about your lack of travel or knowledge if you thought that Thailand was the only country in the world that had ladies cleaning the lavatories. You saw also from replies that after initial surprise no one gives it a second thought now . We are not making fun of those not able to afford traveling the world but of your comment as if you had traveled much and wonder why only Thailand had women cleaners which is incorrect, don't be so sensitive to replies you asked for.

Tony125

Below is the original post. Only the last paragraph asked for a response. Why does any of it have to be personal?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is the only place in the world I have visited where you go in the mens room and there are ladies right beside you cleaning the floor while you are using the urinal. I cant understand if these cleaning ladies are viewed as being so low that they don't matter. Surely they must accidentally see a lot of guys junk. On the other hand the bathrooms are always real clean and never smell bad. Also if you get a toilet it is always clean and there is never any #1 or #2 on the toilet.

I have told this to people who have never been to Thailand and they don't believe it. Also, I have told it to Thai women(who never use the men's room) and they also don't believe it or don't know about it.

How do you feel about this? Are you in disbelief. Is a price worth paying to have super clean bathrooms?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is clearly nothing in the post that asks for an attack on the poster. Let me help you with more silly attacks that don’t answer the question:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have told this to people who have never been to Thailand and they don't believe it.

Sample Reply: Obviously your friends who have never been to Thailand

aren’t very open minded. I told it to my friends who have never been here and they all believed it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have told it to Thai women(who never use the men's room) and they also don't believe it or don't know about it.

Sample Reply: Obviously, the Thai women you talk to aren’t very current on local sanitation practices. I told it to the Thai women I know and they all are aware. Most of them learned this in school

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And finally ….

How do you feel about this? Are you in disbelief. Is a price worth paying to have super clean bathrooms?

Sample Reply: I choose to ignore the actual questions about the post and simply write something negative about you.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wow. What what gratitude :) Mother knows best. If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything.

So now you will show us how we should respond to you by giving us examples, really ? Think that's a first for Thai Visa an OP describing how he wants the replies to be. If you read all the replies to your post another first for Thai Visa everyone (all the replies) are in agreement that although when first comming here ( Thailand/Asia)seeing cleaners in mens room  may have caught us off guard and was a surprise but no one gives it a second thought now and we don't look down on the women who do it or feel uncomfortable.  We all also agree that it is not specific to Thailand , guess you learn something new every day cyou can thank us now.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, hawker9000 said:

The OP is asking a reasonable question for someone seeing this for the first time.  It's hardly "ethnocentrism" nor paranoia.  Your reaction to his post is what's a little OTT.  Relax.

If you read the OP again, it's pretty clear that he was more about making a statement than asking a question.  That's why the replies on this thread have been as they are. 

On 02/05/2017 at 1:22 PM, Suradit69 said:

Obviously you haven't traveled much.  There are even places in farangland where you can pee on the street with crowds passing by. I'm assuming you're from somewhere like Utah or North Dakota??

pissoir.jpg.4d1f4ac122c81e2ba936e0d9d37f6ced.jpg

After many years in the Far East even I couldn't quite believe these, my first brush was in Ghent, Belgium.

My darling mum thought they were rather odd bottle-banks, then she wanted to know where the "Ladies" were :whistling:

From what I've seen the ladies are always very discreet when they see a farang come in and wander out of the area. I refer to Tesco, Big C, the shopping malls  etc. Even the petrol station/rest areas that have cleaners have discreet ones. Certainly none hang around to inspect customers genitalia and why would they?

Now that you mention it, I have noticed the same thing cliveshep. Maybe they find it disgusting to see a farang hang it out like they're supposed to be impressed by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've lived in the USA most of my life, didn't see them.  Either times have changed or it's something I honestly never noticed.

That's why they put the yellow closed or cleaning signs in front of the bathroom door in America.

My guess is that those men who are worried about the size of their penis' may also be some of the most vocal about disliking women cleaning attendants wandering around the restroom while they're 'exposed' and 'vulnerable.' 

Size of penis?  Most men wouldn't try to pee with a 'stiffy', unless they want to pee up their nose....

8 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

That's why they put the yellow closed or cleaning signs in front of the bathroom door in America.

Recently on a business trip to Oz I saw the yellow "cleaning" sign and did what I do when I see the one at the Bangkok office, walked round it and entered.

ERROR!!!

Sheila (apparently that really was her name) was not happy, called me some names I'm not going to repeat and chased me out brandishing a lethal looking mop. It seems Oz isn't part of Asia :smile:

Recently on a business trip to Oz I saw the yellow "cleaning" sign and did what I do when I see the one at the Bangkok office, walked round it and entered.

ERROR!!!

Sheila (apparently that really was her name) was not happy, called me some names I'm not going to repeat and chased me out brandishing a lethal looking mop. It seems Oz isn't part of Asia [emoji2]

Yeah, sometimes in America they will leave the big cleaning cart in the doorway as well.

You're a lucky man if this is all you have to worry about. Personally I feel more comfortable with a lady cleaning the toilets than a man. I can't stand having men standing next me when I'm peeing either.

You're a lucky man if this is all you have to worry about. Personally I feel more comfortable with a lady cleaning the toilets than a man. I can't stand having men standing next me when I'm peeing either.

I'm with you jubkhun. It takes longer then anyone next to me anyway for me to start and finish the leak. I always try to go to the last of a row of empty urinals or the closest to the wall where there is at least no one on one side.

My first "exposure" to this resulted in a moment of, I am guessing, blank faced wonderment. The lady gave me a reassuring smile and a nod and went on mopping. I smiled back and went on peeing, having quickly realized this was de rigeur in Thailand. I have since noticed lady attendants in other parts of Asia. One time the lady in question stopped me and redirected me to the handicapped toilet, as I often need a cane and sport plenty of, er, some, grey hair. Turns out the handicapped toilets have "sitters" rather than "squatters".
Very grateful to her for teaching me that.
Been a long time since I had "shy bladder" issues. Army Basic Training usually cures such.:smile:

My first "exposure" to this resulted in a moment of, I am guessing, blank faced wonderment. The lady gave me a reassuring smile and a nod and went on mopping. I smiled back and went on peeing, having quickly realized this was de rigeur in Thailand. I have since noticed lady attendants in other parts of Asia. One time the lady in question stopped me and redirected me to the handicapped toilet, as I often need a cane and sport plenty of, er, some, grey hair. Turns out the handicapped toilets have "sitters" rather than "squatters".
Very grateful to her for teaching me that.
Been a long time since I had "shy bladder" issues. Army Basic Training usually cures such.[emoji2]

I had no problem in basic just personal preference. I don't like getting splattered on by someone that pees all over the floor.