Less than 1 page left in Passport - Trip to Cambodia

Hi all,

I have less than 1 page space left in passport (I am awaiting my new one at this moment) which are spread around various pages, so there is not a full single page but there is space for stamps on various pages. I will be resigning from my job (bad timing I know) and so I will need to leave after the 7 days in which I would not received my new passport back in time. Is it possible to fly to Cambodia and back without requiring a visa to be stamped in my passport etc? I can't remember.

Thanks guys.

I know it is different for other countries, but from the British side, as soon as the renewal process begins your old passport is cancelled as a travel document.

Just so you are aware if this affects you.

Hi Chrisinth,

Thanks for that information, I must of forgot about that. So from the time they receive my renewal application it is cancelled? Ok, I will not spend £100 on an emergency document. If this is the case I will have to delay my resignation somehow.

How are you getting the 7 days. Unless working with a BOI company and using the one stop center you have to apply for the 7 days and pay a 1900 fee.

Another option is to take a termination letter from your employer  to immigration a few days (10 may be possible)  before the date on the letter and immigration will post date the cancellation of your extension to that date. Then if you needed more time you could get the 7 days to leave the country.

Whether you can leave the country or not depends upon how your country handles the cancellation of your old passport when a new one is applied for. Some cancel it within their records which could cause a problem if an authority was to inquire about the validity of your passport.

To enter Cambodia you would need a visa on arrival for there which requires a full page of your passport unless you apply for an e-visa. Malaysia would be a better choice since those from most countries do not require a visa for entry.

On re-entry to Thailand you would get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you are from a country that qualifies for one.

@ubonjoe Yes, that's what I meant by the 7-days; paying for an extension.

Hmmm I will think about the termination letter but I would have a feeling they would cancel it at immigration the day I resign.

In regards to the Cambodia E-Visa; the passport requires 6-months validity which mine also does not.

Maysia is a good idea, I do not need a visa there, however, I think as you've mentioned and chrisinth, my passport is no longer valid and which I think I would need to spend £100 on an emergency travel document.

14 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I know it is different for other countries, but from the British side, as soon as the renewal process begins your old passport is cancelled as a travel document.

Just so you are aware if this affects you.

They dont inform anyone except you it's cancelled and you can use it until they cut the corner off.

1 minute ago, Bountyhuntr said:

@ubonjoe Yes, that's what I meant by the 7-days; paying for an extension.

Hmmm I will think about the termination letter but I would have a feeling they would cancel it at immigration the day I resign.

In regards to the Cambodia E-Visa; the passport requires 6-months validity which mine also does not.

Maysia is a good idea, I do not need a visa there, however, I think as you've mentioned and chrisinth, my passport is no longer valid and which I think I would need to spend £100 on an emergency travel document.

Immigration routinely post date the extension cancellation to the date on the letter. That is away to get more time to leave the country without paying for 7 days.

You need 6 months passport validity to enter any other country in ASEAN. For Thailand for those from certain countries only need a passport valid for their length of stay. Hong Kong is nearest country that you could likely fly to with less than 6 months.

14 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Ok thanks guys.

I also just looked up entering Malysia with a UK emegency travel document and although you are allowed to exit from malysia with one I am not sure you can enter. 

You can enter Malaysia with a ETD but it needs 6 month remaining on it and it needs to show Malaysia as one of the countries you can travel to on it.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can enter Malaysia with a ETD but it needs 6 month remaining on it and it needs to show Malaysia as one of the countries you can travel to on it.

6 months remaining on the ETD? That's some comfort then, I guess that would be 5000 baht + flights total expenditure.

You can have up to 5 different countries/journeys noted in your ETD. Fairly sure you have to show all tickets etc for those journeys.

If your final destination was UK they will keep your ETD when you arrive. Some other countries may also keep your ETD if your arrival is the last journey noted in the ETD which is a shame because it's quite a nice looking gold coloured passport.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

So it's possible to get a ETD valid for 6 months + even though you plan to travel within the month?

4 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

So it's possible to get a ETD valid for 6 months + even though you plan to travel within the month?

Yes it is possible. They are aware many countries require passport validity for 6 months for entry.

If you have not looked yet here is info on the ETD. https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/how-it-works

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

If I can dig mine out later I'll check. Don't quote me but they may be 1 year. However after the  last noted journey in the ETD you must get any new journeys added at your cost or get a new one. Unlikely though as you would either have your new PP by that time or you would be on home soil.

To issue mine the UK Embassy were pretty adamant I had to provide proof of flight details. The rules do allow for written travel journeys but like all things depends on the day the time the person.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Ok thanks guys.

I also just looked up entering Malysia with a UK emegency travel document and although you are allowed to exit from malysia with one I am not sure you can enter. 

Checking through some things and it looks like for Cambodia you need a special exit visa if you use a UK ETD.

Not sure on the details of how and where you would get this exit visa.

• Like 1

I lost my U.S. passport (or to be precise, someone I trusted lost it for me) and I was given a 1 year Emergency travel document  (ETD) by the U.S. embassy in Bangkok.

I did not  travel on that ETD, instead I filed a police report  of a lost passport and applied for a new 54 page U.S. passport which I received within 2 weeks.

I am now on that new passport, but looking at the ETD it is supposedly valid foe one year from the date of it's issue.

I have no idea if my new 10 year U.S. passport, which I now have, cancels that ETD or not.

I am now using my new 10 year 54 page U.S. passport.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment
  • Like 1

@ubonjoe Apologies for posting on a finished thread but it will save me opening a new one; do you need a letter from your embassy confirming your passport when transferring your stamps to a new one?  I am going to go to immigration today to transfer my stamps. Upon searching I have seen it mentioned a few times.

Also is there a form I can download and complete?

Thanks again

Edited by Bountyhuntr

14 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

@ubonjoe Apologies for posting on a finished thread but it will save me opening a new one; do you need a letter from your embassy confirming your passport when transferring your stamps to a new one?  I am going to go to immigration today to transfer my stamps. Upon searching I have seen it mentioned a few times.

Also is there a form I can download and complete?

Thanks again

It depends upon which office you go to. You should of gotten the form when you picked up your new passport.

Unless you have an extension of stay issued by immigration you do not need to got to a office to have the stamps transferred. You can do it on departure from the country by showing both passports and they will move your entry to stamp to the new passport and stamp you of out of the country in it.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon which office you go to. You should of gotten the form when you picked up your new passport.

Unless you have an extension of stay issued by immigration you do not need to got to a office to have the stamps transferred. You can do it on departure from the country by showing both passports and they will move your entry to stamp to the new passport and stamp you of out of the country in it.

Chaeng Wattana immigration. 

Yes I am currently on yearly extensions.

Thanks @ubonjoe

Edited by Bountyhuntr

15 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I lost my U.S. passport (or to be precise, someone I trusted lost it for me) and I was given a 1 year Emergency travel document  (ETD) by the U.S. embassy in Bangkok.

I did not  travel on that ETD, instead I filed a police report  of a lost passport and applied for a new 54 page U.S. passport which I received within 2 weeks.

I am now on that new passport, but looking at the ETD it is supposedly valid foe one year from the date of it's issue.

I have no idea if my new 10 year U.S. passport, which I now have, cancels that ETD or not.

I am now using my new 10 year 54 page U.S. passport.

I believe you should return the ETD when you have no further need for it. Is the US ETD like the UK version where it has proposed journeys typed it?

Obviously if it's now later than those dates then the ETD can't be used for them.

I never returned mine ( new passport came in time ) and no one asked me to.

3 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

@IMA_FARANG  When you transferred the stamps, was it at Chaeng Wattana? I need to know if they require a letter from embassy or not. I guess if you lost it you would just submit police report instead.

Yes they want one.

You should of been given a blank one for you to complete when you picked up your passport at the Trendy building. If not you can email the embassy and they will send you one. Info here from embassy website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491945/Visa_Transfer_Information.pdf

• Like 1