Maldives

carlyai

Hi, anyone been there on holidays recently?

Was thinking of a couple of weeks holiday there, but there are so many atolls and places to choose I would like a recommendation.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Most resorts are top quality and very luxurious plus 'All-inclusive' packages. Snorkeling is (maybe) one of the best places in the world and a great place for a romantic couples holiday. Your picked-up from the airport by either luxurious speedboat or Sea-plane.

Personally, I think 2 weeks might be a little long to stay on one of the island resorts.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most resorts are top quality and very luxurious. Snorkeling is (maybe) one of the best places in the world and a great place for a romantic couples holiday. Your picked-up from the airport by either luxurious speedboat or Sea-plane.
Personally, I think 2 weeks might be a little long to stay on one of the island resorts.

So staying there 4 days, then where to go nearby for the rest of the 10 days?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Personally, a week would be enough. Two weeks would be too repetative and frankly boring.

If you can get an "all inclusive" deal do it, drinks etc and snacks will sting and are loaded price wise.

Twin centre holiday with Sri Lanka is very popular.

• Like 1

"Twin centre holiday with Sri Lanka is very popular."

Ok thanks.

I'll Google it and see what I can come up with.

I was thinking in August for the holiday. Seem Ok for that time?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

As stated by everyone above more than one week on a tiny island is too much for most people even if it is luxurious. You need all inclusive or at least full board so you eat, drink and enjoy without looking how much things cost (which is a lot). If you only have breakfast provided and then have to pay for everything else it may create a negative vibe.

Twin centre Maldives and Sri Lanka is more a interesting way to spend 2 weeks. 4-7 days luxury Maldives then over to Sri Lanka for for a tour with a "car and driver" and maybe a short beech stay at the start or end of the tour. You can do it the other way round just as easy Sri Lanka first then finish up at the Maldives. 

• Like 2

A little tip!When you arrive, you may be offfered a tour around the capitol 'Malle'. Don't bother, it's a dump, get to your resort PDQ.

This is where I stayed and it was perfect

https://www.facebook.com/centararasfushimaldives.officialpage/

My morning stroll before breakfast

IMG_1049.thumb.JPG.34e000b959f0220029b08266ae8af225.JPG

Visiting Maldives is totally worth it!

Ditch the fancy resorts and you could do it under a budget too!

Stick to guest houses and locally inhabited islands. The locals are friendly and they would also respect your privacy.

The guesthouses can arrange visits to resorts (cheaper than staying at a resort), snorkling, nightfishing and barbecues for you. You need not know how to swim in order to snorkel (the world under the sea will keep you fascinated for life!). Enjoy the awesome beaches and watch the sunset and sunrise! Count the stars at night and try to spot the constellations. Spend your time lounging with your favourite book and go back feeling rejuvenated.

You can also go island hopping and see a lot of islands, every island is unique in its own way, and Maldives is beautiful all over. Stick to government ferries instead of speed boat transfers, enjoy the ride. Maldives is well connected now. You can find ferry boats to many islands at reasonable prices.

Visit Male' to see how a small city functions, but dont stay in Male'. It's too crowded here. Just shop and have a meal, visit the museum.

The beauty of Maldives is not overrated. If any thing I feel that it is underrated. The beaches are dazzling white and the sea is all shades of blue. The islands (except Male') are beatifully green and the skies are open and vast! One can spend the time gazing at the horizon and God's masterpiece on the sky.

• Like 1

My wife and I went to the Maldives in March, we thought a week was just about enough, and indeed it was.

As others have pointed out, everything has to be imported and it's also a Muslim country, so that pushes the prices up, once you're on the island you're effective a captive market and I'm sure that's also priced in.

There's a wide range of options, really high end resorts charging silly money down to cheap guest houses on one of the larger islands. We went for a mid ranged resort, but picked one of the more expensive room options, a water bungalow which meant that we just walked down a few steps into the sea, we also had a glass floor in our room looking over the reef. We went for an all-inclusive option in an attempt to effectively budget, we paid 135,000 Baht for the week, the flights were extra, we flew with Sri Lankan. The speed boat transfers were extra, many resorts make the use of their preferred boat compulsory, I think that was in the region of $100 each, might have been slightly more.

The only extras we had were two trips, an early morning trip to see sharks, my choice, and a half day trip to see dolphins, my wife's choice, both were wonderful and broke the week up nicely.  

We had a wonderful time, and would certainly return, there are however many wonderful places in the world to visit before we reach our sell by dates, I would certainly consider a two centre holiday which included Sri Lanka.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Sorry to come back to the post which is bit old now but i am planning a trip to Maldives in April (around water festival) with my wife.
I am also planing for a maximum week trip (5 or 6 days).
I have few questions in my mind that some might be able to help here:
Is there any visa requirements, especially for Thai passport as my wife is Thai?
I understood that there is 1 resort per island mostly, all offering basically the same services, only difference would be the prices. Are there any islands any better than others, if you don't consider the resort, for example I see North / South, is there any difference?
I am budgetting around 200,000 THB for 5 / 6 nights all inclusives, not inluding the flight from Thailand. That what i have found interesting so far in term of resorts on internet.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Resorts can be as different as hotels on a main-land. I went to Rasa Fushia and loved every minute of it. Please also note that from the main island (Male) some resorts use either speedboats or Seaplanes to ferry you to your island. That might be something you wish to consider in your requirements.

• Like 1

Resorts can be as different as hotels on a main-land. I went to Rasa Fushia and loved every minute of it. Please also note that from the main island (Male) some resorts use either speedboats or Seaplanes to ferry you to your island. That might be something you wish to consider in your requirements.

I believe the resort you mention is the Centara Rasa Fushi? If yes, it seems well recommended over internet but unfortunately fully booked already this coming April.
Yes I found out about ferries to resort and i will definitely opt for a seaplane. This is not included in my 200k budget but i am ready to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...