Structure to cover swimming pool

carlyai

I want to build a structure to provide shade for the pool.

I was thinking of something that is on 4 columns and had 2 insulated metal roofs.

It would fit between the L shaped house veranda and cover half the pool.

I don't know the name of the roof, but it's like 4 sloping sides coming from a squared middle, then a gap, and another smaller roof on top.

Hopefully this would have good air circulation.

It would fit in the L shaped area of the pictures and overlap the house veranda roof on two sides. The rain water would drain into the existing house gutters.

Any ideas?

20170428_070807.jpg20170428_070658.jpg20170502_070853.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes I have thought of sails, but not investigated yet. I was just worried about the slope of the support poles and that sometimes we have about 100 km/hr winds. Well feels like that.

SWMBO needs new tiles over the veranda tiles to the pool coping, so you can just walk out of the veranda and fall in the pool as all at the same level. That's how I designed it (rightly or wrongly I don't know).

What's the building term for those double roofs, is it like Lana style?

I've looked at Crossy's Thai houses But can't see what I'm thinking of.

Yes and yes. Shows how old my brain is, I only lived there for 6 years. ?

Thanks, now to draw up a plan.

Thinking, maybe no good as all thems small birds will probably love to live there and crap in the pool.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Thinking, maybe no good as all thems small birds will probably love to live there and crap in the pool.

Sparrows are no problem, your pool filter will remove the xxxx, now bats are a whole different kettle of fish.

5 hours ago, carlyai said:

Yes and yes. Shows how old my brain is, I only lived there for 6 years. ?

Thanks, now to draw up a plan.

Got sparrows nesting in the open-ended steel of our pool roof. Shit isn't a problem but pulled a dead sparrow chick from the pool this morning.

Dumb birds, must be hot as Haydes in there. Plus the tukgers will be eating the eggs.

I put all those many plastic roof guards so they can't get into make their nests in the veranda. They find a way.
Sex does crazy things.

But talking about bats, if you have a fairly high fence already like the R&B man, (I personally wouldn't do this because it's a bit cruel), string a couple of pieces of barbed wire above the fence about 6 to 8" apart. Their radar picks up the gap but not the wire.

Thinking again, I think there will be a bird problem, so have asked the shade manufacturers to visit for a look and quote.
(Will see how good their customer service is.) [emoji3]

On 5/3/2017 at 7:27 AM, carlyai said:

2 insulated metal roofs

overkill! what are you trying to achieve mate? :ermm:

even without any insulation the radiation from top will not reach the water surface assuming distance water level > roof is 2.50m.

If you can walk out of your house and fall into the pool make sure any of your visiting grandchildren or others can swim.  Many died each year till pool fences were made law in Australia.

10 minutes ago, Naam said:

overkill! what are you trying to achieve mate? :ermm:

even without any insulation the radiation from top will not reach the water surface assuming distance water level > roof is 2.50m.

I am not sure what the OP is thinking.  What is the point of the 2 insulated roofs is the sides are all open?

Also why is the thing got to be rain proof?  So when swimming people don't get wet in the rain?!

OP..  Sounds to me you really want an indoor pool for some reason.

If you only want shade simply plant a few large palm trees around the pool.. or cover part, or all of the pool, with a wooden / conwood pergola. 

sails are a big advantage. they can be removed easily. Carlyai lives in an area with cool winters where you want the sun heating up the pool. i have an indoor pool which even during the present hot season (day before yesterday 36ºC) needs 2-3 hours of heating by solar panels.

Thanks for the replied, keeps me thinking.
I was thinking of putting the BBQ and smoker outside under the Bali type construction.
You are right, I think the two roofs is wrong thinking, and the water does get cold here in the winter.
So sails would seem the way to go. Just need the people to come out and have a look.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only downside to sails is uv degradation, lets just say there are sails then there are "sails"

Having spent a few years in the UK flying flex wing microlights UV degradation of the wing covering was a bit of a problem, generally it was was a supply issue but it was still there .Various treatments are available to help prevent this happening.

There are mountains of papers written on this subject.

Good luck.

ps despite this I would go for a sail  after doing plenty of reasearch.

1 hour ago, xerostar said:

How about this cover ?

Pool_Corner_Daytimesmall.jpg

too much ugly sun during the day. requires remote controlled electric blinds for comfort. ceiling is also not suitable for installation of gadgets (see below) which add comfort in a tropical country :smile:

pool.jpg

Sails it should be but I probably won't get it approved by the board. My vote would be considered about the size of my 'thingy' after a winter swim in Naams air conditioned enclosed pool. But, there again, having an enclosed, aircon pool, I could lose a kg after the swim. 555: bagger

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Naam's pool is heated (it was heated by the A/C waste heat, I think it's solar now).

No problem with "shrinkage" :smile:

correct! a "thingy" shrinking in 29ºC water is a reason for mourning.