Best value mainly Thai food restaurant at Rawai beach front

madmax2

If you enjoy Thai food with a few western dishes available the small Thai restaurants at the southern end of Rawai beach are open again

I am talking about the beach front restaurants owned by the local government and rented out to Thai people only

They are on the side road that comes of the main beach road before the local government offices where they repair and maintain the fishing boats on the beach front 

Really good Thai food and this is Thai's opinion and mine as well, really friendly local people and definitely not expensive

We have never got past the first one as we are very happy with their food quality, prices and service

Give the local people a try and post what you think on this forum, you will not be disappointed unless you are one of the people who are impossible to please, they will really like your business and show their appreciation  

26 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I nicknamed the first shop "slow shop" as in years past it would literally be an hour before the first dish would arrive after sitting down with a party larger than 2. Nice family there though.

We had to wait about 25 minutes yesterday, ordered 2 plates of tempura prawns among other things and i saw one of the men go out on his bike to buy fresh prawns

Worth the wait the food and service was up to its usual high standard

The 2 daughters have been working in other restaurants and are now back helping their mother

They were virtually closed down by the military even though they rent the premises from the government, good to see them up and running again

I didn't know that those places had closed and reopened. We haven't been down there for about six months. 

Did all the restaurants close? 

Aren't they separate businesses? 

Why did they close? 

We often went to the furthest South one, run by Deng (?) and his wife. Friendly guy and decent food. 

The next one is run by a lady who is a lot of fun, definitely more sociable than Deng. The food's about the same but she has better umbrellas! 

1 hour ago, Tapster said:

I didn't know that those places had closed and reopened. We haven't been down there for about six months. 

Did all the restaurants close? 

Aren't they separate businesses? 

Why did they close? 

We often went to the furthest South one, run by Deng (?) and his wife. Friendly guy and decent food. 

The next one is run by a lady who is a lot of fun, definitely more sociable than Deng. The food's about the same but she has better umbrellas! 

They did not close them but made them take the seating and shade away from in front of the restaurants so they had no shaded table and seating area, to hot to sit in the sun there

The restaurant we use has put some large tree branches in to support shade cloth, the branches were freshly cut and green and are now starting to sprout leaves so they will have natural shade in the near future, which will not be removed i hope

They are all separate independent businesses but rent their premises from the local government  

29 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

I am beginning to suspect there may possibly be an ulterior motive for this op,

family involvement perhaps? but then again perhaps not?

The posts do seem to be getting rather heated............ :annoyed:

How wrong can you be, because i live permanently in Thailand, i have not been on a overseas holiday since 2003 and believe in supporting Thai people in business here before supporting foreign owned or controlled businesses that gives me a ulterior motive does it

No involvement at all , but if you are going to accuse me of something just come out and post it and make my day, as Arnie is fond of saying, no need to be anonymous

Since i live here permanently and the same as living in Australia i look for value for money in every business i patronize i like to let other expats know who may be interested

If you think that is a ulterior motive please let me know 

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

How wrong can you be, because i live permanently in Thailand, i have not been on a overseas holiday since 2003 and believe in supporting Thai people in business here before supporting foreign owned or controlled businesses that gives me a ulterior motive does it

No involvement at all , but if you are going to accuse me of something just come out and post it and make my day, as Arnie is fond of saying, no need to be anonymous

Since i live here permanently and the same as living in Australia i look for value for money in every business i patronize i like to let other expats know who may be interested

If you think that is a ulterior motive please let me know 

" Me thinks he doth protest to much "

Well over the last ten years I have stopped to have a nice meal with company in Rawai I have never had a bad experience, so I just tell all my friends and first time visitors to Phuket to try the beachside places in Rawai for great food

5 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Wrong the one you say is a rancid feral cat house is the one we go to at the opposite end to the boat ramp, are you under the weather when you go their or just dislike them

What a load of rubbish you posted,, they have excellent food and service as i do not doubt some of the others have as well, Rancid and feral, i suggest you get your eyes checked and stop posting a load of rubbish on this forum and complain to them yourself in person, that's if you are game to of coarse, which i really doubt  

I've been on that strip dozens of times.  Again, if you are referring to the last restaurant near where the boats and fishing nets are repaired, the thole area is soaked in cat urine.  Not rubbish, just facts.  Funny how everyone who has commented all agrees on which one to go to except you.  Go do the math on that before launching into a personal tirade. 

Why not have a TVF Rawai food crawl, for the Phuket based (or anyone else) TVF members who are up for it, a few dishes in several establishments, couple of beers and chew the fat so to speak... one pleasant afternoon or from lunchtime onwards (am in UK at Moment) but if in Aug/Sept then I'd be up for  ride to Rawai and a bit of grub... would be nice to meet a few head the balls off here... lol Or can referee Handbags at dawn with a few of ya! C'mon lads have a coke n a smile...

Just trying to help the Thai businesses their, eat at anyone of them you want to but give them a try, 

you will not be disappointed, much better value for money than the ones on the main beach road especially the farang owned and run ones 

3 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Sorry max but you appear to have missed " suspect " , " possibly ", " perhaps ", and " perhaps not " from my post 

so no accusation, more of a question.

And yes you, and anyone, are entitled to give their opinion and just because you think one place is better to eat

than any other one does not make it so, it is just that, your opinion, and if someone else claims that the same

place stinks of cat urine then that is his opinion and just as valid as yours. Nobody is forcing either of you to eat

anywhere you don't want to. Btw ramming your opinion down someones throat doesn't help your case.

Of coarse anyone is entitled to their opinion about which restaurant is best, and in what post did i claim the other restaurants were no good, i said the restaurant at the northern end which we use was the best,  in our opinion of coarse, why don't you try them yourself then you can have a opinion of your own

It was not me who rubbished any restaurant but another poster, so get you facts straight

We went there regularly before the military made the restaurants take the roofs down that shaded the tables and kept them out of the rain, at that time they had a old dog but no cats from memory

2 days ago when we went again there was no smell of cats pee and no cats, and the food and service was excellent as i posted in my original post, its great the other restaurants have excellent value for money food, maybe people will start using again like they did when the shade was there

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Just trying to help the Thai businesses their, eat at anyone of them you want to but give them a try, 

you will not be disappointed, much better value for money than the ones on the main beach road especially the farang owned and run ones 

Unfortunately Max I am rarely impressed with the level of hygiene and sanitation 

I usually observe at most of these beach shack type venues although I have from

time to time eaten at many of them up and down the country, and yes I have from

time to time been quite unwell as a result of doing so, but each to their own I 

suppose.

3 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Of coarse anyone is entitled to their opinion about which restaurant is best, and in what post did i claim the other restaurants were no good, i said the restaurant at the northern end which we use was the best,  in our opinion of coarse, why don't you try them yourself then you can have a opinion of your own

It was not me who rubbished any restaurant but another poster, so get you facts straight

We went there regularly before the military made the restaurants take the roofs down that shaded the tables and kept them out of the rain, at that time they had a old dog but no cats from memory

2 days ago when we went again there was no smell of cats pee and no cats, and the food and service was excellent as i posted in my original post, its great the other restaurants have excellent value for money food, maybe people will start using again like they did when the shade was there

You do get a bit off course don't you. Nowhere did I say that you claimed any restaurants were no good nor did 

I say you rubbished any restaurants, just that your opinion is just that an opinion no more no less than anyone

else's, take it easy man relax before you have a stroke mate.            :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, phuketjock said:

Unfortunately Max I am rarely impressed with the level of hygiene and sanitation 

I usually observe at most of these beach shack type venues although I have from

time to time eaten at many of them up and down the country, and yes I have from

time to time been quite unwell as a result of doing so, but each to their own I 

suppose.

I have never had food poisoning at this restaurant, but i have at the 3 star tourist resort i first stayed in and my daughter in law was also ill from eating food in a 4/5 star resort when they were last here on holidays, also at a more expensive tourist oriented restaurant on the main beach rd at Rawai. You are right of coarse,to each their own, or try before you buy, but try before you criticize a business also applies, and you have not done so 

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

I have never had food poisoning at this restaurant, but i have at the 3 star tourist resort i first stayed in and my daughter in law was also ill from eating food in a 4/5 star resort when they were last here on holidays, also at a more expensive tourist oriented restaurant on the main beach rd at Rawai. You are right of coarse,to each their own, or try before you buy, but try before you criticize a business also applies, and you have not done so 

Sorry Max you are too OTT for me I have not criticized any business as yet and I will choose my own places to

eat thank you very much. You certainly picked the right name for yourself, imho of course.          :clap2:

3 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Sorry Max you are too OTT for me I have not criticized any business as yet and I will choose my own places to

eat thank you very much. You certainly picked the right name for yourself, imho of course.          :clap2:

No problem they do not sell haggis there anyway

Hey if we all liked the same, done the same, looked the same, spoke the same - what a dreary boring place it would be - I know this much speaking for myself, it seems everytime I find a nice little place to eat then with 18 months they just disappear in Los, has happened a few times over the years. You asked around and no one knows or they say have gone back home to village, then a year or two later you get oh they now are here/there etc, but you go and is not the same...

Anyway I intend to re-spark this topic in August and see if anyone is up for a Rawai Grub Crawl, then everyone will be happy :) I have never tried the places you lot mention have only ever had from the ones on the beach rd front and then ate on the mats mostly on the beach (is a year or two since I last done that mined) 

Lol one of my fav places I was sat after a great meal chatting with couple of mates when in the background a Ginormous RaT ran out of the kitchen door at side of bar, across the front of bar floor and out a rear exit, it didn't bother me as I am in LOS, if I was in UK I would have been going Ape!! must say also I can not remember ever having the Trots over here either...

anyway come August I will post up and see if any takers?

Archived