Can K Bank sms for otps be received in the UK?

Does anyone happen to know if the sms sent by Kaiskorn Thai bank for otp (one time password to activate bank transactions) can be received by a phone containing a Thai sim in the UK, without any special roaming activation?

A few years back they worked in Cambodia – albeit with a bit of a delay, but I am unsure about Europe.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

Mobi

Unsure which operators have it off by default, but for my prepaid dtac plan, I had to get it enabled, as previously I just had “No Signal” when in Europe — originally they told me (in Thailand) that I had to switch to postpaid for international use, so I went to another dtac center, where they enabled it for my prepaid plan.

So this is something you need to sort out with your operator, it is not related to your bank.

Just have roaming enabled.

Then when you arrive in the UK, make sure that your Thai SIM connects to a partner network.

It sometimes does not happen automatically so you just go into mobile connections and search for operators and select one.

Good luck.

In the past I've called the KBank call centre from Europe (via skype) when needing an OTP. They gave me a password via email that was valid for 24 hours. Of course it would be much easier if my sim card was activated for int roaming. I'll have to get this done for next time.

I'm with 1-2-Call and Kasikorn and can tell you that providing you've activated international roaming on the phone ( do *125*1# press send when in the country) it works well.  On the odd occasion that the SMS doesn't arrive in the UK, I call the phone but don't answer it and that seems to jig the system into sending out the SMS containing the OTP.  What it seems that you can't do is to have an out of country number to receive the OTP since you can't use a plus sign or add extra digits to your phone number when you link the SIM initially.

So if you don't activate roaming you can't receive the OTP because your Thai SIM will only work for emergency calls in the UK.  You won't get any calls or SMS messages.  Should you now be in the UK without having activated international roaming, the AIS call centre on 1175 or +6622719000 or email [email protected] is your only hope.  If you didn't register the SIM I'd think there is no hope as the call centre would need to check that it is your SIM.  I always advise all my friends to download the "My AIS" app and to check on there while they're in Thailand to see that everything is enabled and that your name is linked to the SIM.  The app can be changed to work in English - just look for the 'cog' settings icon and language is the only option in "Settings".

Remember that when your Thai 1-2-Call SIM is running out of service credit that for ฿30 you can do *500*9# to buy another 30 days. When *121# tells you that the SIM is out of funds you can always get a top up from someone else by transferring call credit or service credit using *140.  As  you have a Thai Bank account (and hopefully internet access to it), you may link it so you can top up from there or even use the new "K-Speed Topup" *428*100# facility.  Just remember the joke that a topup of ฿300 or over requires an OTP so only do ฿100 !!!  Please enjoy "Amazing Thailand".

YOU DO NOT NEED A OTP. KBank have another security code PIN2 which is a second password permanently allocated to your account. When you have it you get a different screen prompt to proceed which asks for pin2 not OTP. You will need to attend a branch office to process the paperwork for this. Had mine for 15+ years without a problem. 

10 hours ago, biggles45 said:

YOU DO NOT NEED A OTP. KBank have another security code PIN2 which is a second password permanently allocated to your account. When you have it you get a different screen prompt to proceed which asks for pin2 not OTP. You will need to attend a branch office to process the paperwork for this. Had mine for 15+ years without a problem. 

That's correct, most banks have similar, just ask your bank.

Many, many thanks for all the great responses to my question. I also appreciate all the additional information some of you have posted, some of it may come in use in the coming months.

It's a pity I didn't know about this second pin number arrangement earlier as I fear it is too late to try and set something up with the bank. I'm off in a few days and I don't trust them enough to get it all done before I go, along with the distinct possibility that nothing will work when I get to the UK…

I recall a few years back changing my phone number, and what a nightmare that was. Several trips to the bank, signing mountains of forms and several weeks before I could use the new number. Everything had to be referred back to Head Office in Bangkok. It may be better now, but who knows?

As for getting my Thai Sim enable for roaming – well I could write a short story on it.

In all, I think it took about 10 calls over a period of several hours to AIS before I finally got it done… I hope. When I wanted to speak to someone in English, all I got was the Thai language, and when my wife wanted to speak to someone in Thai, all as she got was the English language – even after pressing the option to change the language. On one call, everything from the the start of the process was in English, and when I final got to speak to someone they only spoke Thai and said nobody was available who spoke English. Call again later.

Then my wife finally got through to someone in Thai who didn't understand what I wanted to do and after hanging on for half an hour she was transferred to a woman who spoke perfect English. This woman understood what I wanted to do, told me it was possible and wouldn't cost me anything, and the best way to do it was to call back and dial a specific code. I did this and was told roaming couldn't be enabled and was told to call back to 1175.

Several hours and several calls later, I finally spoke to a man in English, who immediately knew who I was (my details are registered because I used to post pay), and he told me he would enable roaming on my sim straight away. Five minutes later I received an sms confirming that my phone was enabled for roaming. He told me the receipt of sms messages overseas is free, but if I receive calls from Thailand I will have to pay.

I can't quite decide whether this sorry tale was due to sheer incompetence on the part of AIS, or whether all this forced running around was a devious attempt to get me to subscribe to one of their very expensive roaming packages.

Any ideas?