Leaving the country but possible (likely) return after a few years?

I have been living in Thailand for 4 years on a Non Immi O visa based on marriage and with extensions every year.  

We are planning to return to Australia this year and will likely return again after 7-10 years.

Is there anything I can or should do at my Immigration office prior to leaving to:

• Notify them I won't be applying for a new extention
  • "Cancel" my current extension which won't have expired by the time I leave and no re-entry permit of course?
  • Make it easier to reapply for a new visa when we do eventually return?
  • ??

:wai::wai:

Unless you have a re-entry permit for your extension, it will end as soon as you stamp-out of Thailand.  Even if you do have a re-entry permit, your extension will expire on the "permitted stay" date.

The only thing you could do to make it easier upon your return, is to keep your extension active and renew every year.  This would require coming back every year, before your active extension expires, to renew it and obtain a re-entry permit for the next time.  Otherwise, you have to start over.  But starting over would probably be less trouble than a trip to renew it every year, for 7 to 10 years, unless you will be coming back to visit every year anyway.

The only advantage I can imagine to continued extensions, would be that the rules might be different when you come back, and you would not be "grandfathered in" to the existing rules - as you might be if you kept your extension current.  I base this on the fact that those who obtained retirement extensions before the income-requirement was raised, have been allowed to continue renewing based on the old rules, provided it is done continuously. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Ensure you understand the Visa rules  for your wife and the costs involved for a long/permanent stay.

Thanks Baz.  
A LOT  of time (and money) went into that originally when my wife and the children got their permanent residency in Australia so no problems there and no further costs until they go for citizenship which they are likely to do.

Above all don't ever believe that the immigrant law won't change drastically. That said I agree that maintaing. your current extension is surely the safest bet. Maybe you could renew each year at the Thai consulate in oz?

Juse a thought ;

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Above all don't ever believe that the immigrant law won't change drastically. That said I agree that maintaing. your current extension is surely the safest bet. Maybe you could renew each year at the Thai consulate in oz?

Juse a thought ;

I did give some thought to maintaining the 1 year extension;  something another TV member mentioned also however, I reckon maintaining it would be a huge hassle. Nor am I planning to come back for many visits at this point.

I'm placing my bet that the visa door will remain open to me primarily on the basis of being married to a Thai and also maintaining a property here.

41 minutes ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

keep a few thousand baht in your bank account an keep it open .

The mere fact of a little money in the account may not be enough to stop it being closed over time; I have had two accounts closed for being inactive (and the balance of a few hundred Baht disappeared) over the years. You may need to make a small transaction every once in a while too.

Thanks to those who have posted their advice and knowledge   Much appreciated.

TV is a wonderful source and I know many who rely on it for their daily doses of Thai/Expat news as well as the useful threads on I dare say almost any subject on Thailand.

Kudos to the moderators and people of genuine knowledge who provide their time and effort to make this forum (and the site) what it is.

:wai::wai::wai:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xobtsiwt said:

The mere fact of a little money in the account may not be enough to stop it being closed over time; I have had two accounts closed for being inactive (and the balance of a few hundred Baht disappeared) over the years. You may need to make a small transaction every once in a while too.

Good idea, I will keep that in mind and luckily have 2 accounts with the one bank so I can do the occasional bank transfers between the accounts. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Xobtsiwt said:

yes you need to keep a balance somewhere over 2-3k baht and the account will stay open ...... Ive been out of Thailand 4 yrs an the acc was fine.

• Like 1

I've had two accounts with the Kasikorn  for 8 years and I have not been to Thailand for 6 years.  Every 6 months or so I move a few hundred Baht form one account to the other online...

So far no problem!

Edited by Slain
grammar

You may want to consider extending the validity of your driving license(s) should you hold any. Remaining valid for 5 years, this may only be necessary once since you intend to return to Thailand within 7-10 years. You would most likely have to enter on a non-immigrant visa to do so. Maintaining a property in Thailand you should still have a valid address. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, khunano said:

You may want to consider extending the validity of your driving license(s) should you hold any. Remaining valid for 5 years, this may only be necessary once since you intend to return to Thailand within 7-10 years. You would most likely have to enter on a non-immigrant visa to do so. Maintaining a property in Thailand you should still have a valid address. 

Good point and one I hadn't thought of.  My license here is good for another 4 or years or so.  By then it maybe a case for a short holiday to renew the License and do any other "jobs" required.

Edited by avander
  • Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, JackThompson said:

Unless you have a re-entry permit for your extension, it will end as soon as you stamp-out of Thailand.  Even if you do have a re-entry permit, your extension will expire on the "permitted stay" date.

The only thing you could do to make it easier upon your return, is to keep your extension active and renew every year.  This would require coming back every year, before your active extension expires, to renew it and obtain a re-entry permit for the next time.  Otherwise, you have to start over.  But starting over would probably be less trouble than a trip to renew it every year, for 7 to 10 years, unless you will be coming back to visit every year anyway.

The only advantage I can imagine to continued extensions, would be that the rules might be different when you come back, and you would not be "grandfathered in" to the existing rules - as you might be if you kept your extension current.  I base this on the fact that those who obtained retirement extensions before the income-requirement was raised, have been allowed to continue renewing based on the old rules, provided it is done continuously. 

Wouldn't extending the current permission to stay also require 90 day reports? Can't imagine 90 day reports helping much.

2 hours ago, White Tiger said:

Wouldn't extending the current permission to stay also require 90 day reports? Can't imagine 90 day reports helping much.

Only if in the country for 90+ days.  If you leave and return, your next 90-date-due is 90-days after the day you return.

Other then maybe leaving your 400,000 Baht in your bank account if you can afford it, so you don't have a waiting period when you come back, just leave when you want and start all over when you come back. 

I can't see you trying to keep your extension to stay based on marriage as you are expected to live here in order to do that. That why the House Book, Pictures of you and your wife in your house, and a possible Police visit there.