Thai Admiral behind the submarine deal defends need for 'dream weapon'

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, tracker1 said:

I just read this the whole area is getting overrun with submarines nomore dragon boat races it's submarine races !http://mingalapar.com/forum/index.php/topic/8571-is-myanmar-really-getting-submarines-now/

This is what a ‘Submarine Race’ looks like to it’s target! I’ve been there, seen it and done it!

(In the pre missile days in the submarine service we would say there are only two types of ships; Submarines and Ships (surface targets).

590dad0571695_submarinerace.jpg.8f904f7fc501540413fdce72b85663b4.jpg

The Pakistan Navy say they are buying the ‘Export’ Type T20 with AIP whilst the RTN say they are buying the Type 26T Yuan derivative with AIP and a full ‘Weapons System’.

These Hulls do not exist at this moment and that is my concern over the procurement aspect of the purchase, not the purchase itself.

I believe that submarines, of the correct specification, could be a viable addition to the RTN. I do however have grave concerns over the specification, number of hulls, overseeing of the constructio/acceptance trialstraining, basing, support aspectetc.

I would just love to know what are the basic specs of what the RTN think they are getting.

Nobody seems to know what design specs are being bought by which navy!

Even the USN Institute do not agree on what size the basic Yuan is in relation to the Russian Kilo on which the Yuan (and any derivatives) are based!

Despite some of my comments re the "design does not exist etc", I strongly believe that a Submarine Force, provided the opposition assume/believe that it is operational, is a very potent physiological ‘Fleet in Being’.

On 04/05/2017 at 4:12 PM, realenglish1 said:

I read the article about Thailand falling out of favor with the surrounding countries That will never happen It did not happen in  ww2  Japan did attack Thailand . Guess what a Sub would have been useless  in the fighting

Even though the admiral attempted to show reason for a sub reality of it is there is no need for subs  with Thailand He was remembering glory past  It has passed

Spend the money on Fighter Jets I can see that  Or spend it on patrol boats I can see that as well But on a Sub that is sheer lunacy .

As I have said many times They just want their Toys so then can say the following

Periscope UP......... Lock on Target Load Torpedos ...... Fire One Fire  Two    Dive Dive Dive 

Commander: did we sink the  Tourist Boat or did it hit the bridge . 

The reason for shooting the tourist boat is because the are no other targets out there Never have been never will be unless you want to torpedo a Tuna

Common Guys don;t you get it The public do not want the Subs No need for subs a true waist of Thai resources 

Your knowledge of Japan's entry into WWII seems very limited. The invasion fleet sailed from Hainan Is, China and Cam Ranh Bay, VN and was well anticipated by the Thais and the allies, allowing plenty of deep water for a preemptive attack. If they had a sub.

Edited by halloween

12 minutes ago, halloween said:

Your knowledge of Japan's entry into WWII seems very limited. The invasion fleet sailed from Hainan Is, China and Cam Ranh Bay, VN and was well anticipated by the Thais and the allies, allowing plenty of deep water for a preemptive attack. If they had a sub.

Really and how long are 2 or 3 subs going to last Give me a break

21 minutes ago, halloween said:

They did (have a sub). In fact they had four of them. They didn't engage the Japanese invasion fleet with them though.

Apparently the only use they saw in the war was to moor up in the river in Bangkok, to provide electrical power to keep the trams running after an US air raid hit the power station!

11 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

This is what a ‘Submarine Race’ looks like to it’s target! I’ve been there, seen it and done it!

(In the pre missile days in the submarine service we would say there are only two types of ships; Submarines and Ships (surface targets).

The Pakistan Navy say they are buying the ‘Export’ Type T20 with AIP whilst the RTN say they are buying the Type 26T Yuan derivative with AIP and a full ‘Weapons System’.

These Hulls do not exist at this moment and that is my concern over the procurement aspect of the purchase, not the purchase itself.

I believe that submarines, of the correct specification, could be a viable addition to the RTN. I do however have grave concerns over the specification, number of hulls, overseeing of the constructio/acceptance trialstraining, basing, support aspectetc.

I would just love to know what are the basic specs of what the RTN think they are getting.

Even the USN Institute do not agree on what size the basic Yuan is in relation to the Russian Kilo on which the Yuan (and any derivatives) are based!

Despite some of my comments re the "design does not exist etc", I strongly believe that a Submarine Force, provided the opposition assume/believe that it is operational, is a very potent physiological ‘Fleet in Being’.

Nothing surprising about this they just want their toys no matter what !

On 5/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, colinneil said:

Those attempts ended in failure, so will this 1.

Playing submariner for 7 years, at what cost to the country?

probably had to watch and learn from The  Beatles "Yellow  Submarine" video .  would certainly continue the Thai  love of gaudy colours.............. now wheres  those pesky invading Blue Meanies

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Nothing surprising about this they just want their toys no matter what !

Ah, but that's the beauty, of it all being a national-secret !

When the delivery fails to live-up-to expectations, nobody will know about it, or be able to compare it to the specification ! :cool:

Edited by Ricardo

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

"The S26 SSP appears to be the AIP-equipped variant of the S20 diesel-electric submarine (SSK), which CSSC has been marketing for export since 2013.

Although the S20 SSK was not offered with AIP by default, a customer could opt for it separately. It was not clear if CSSC was offering an AIP of its own or if the end-user would have to acquire it separately. With the S26, CSSC is offering its Stirling AIP system (IHS Jane’s).

In comparison to the S20 SSK, the S26 SSP has a heavier displacement (2,660-ton vs. 2,200-ton), is longer (79.5 metres vs. 66 metres) and slower at top speed (18 knots vs. 20 knots). However, CSSC did reveal the S26’s maximum diving depth and surface range at 300 metres and 14,816 km, respectively.

In January, Thailand allocated funds for three S26T SSPs. In 2016, Pakistan confirmed an order of eight SSPs, the first of which is scheduled to arrive in 2022 – these are almost certainly S26s as well. Like the S20, the S26 is equipped with six torpedo tubes, each capable of deploying heavyweight torpedoes and anti-ship missiles (AShM) (such as the 290-km range CM-708UNB)."

http://quwa.org/2017/02/23/idex-2017-china-showcases-new-generation-frigate-s26-submarine/

Who knows, the submarines maybe of some benefit? As future scrap!

The purchase seems crazy to me when so many Thai nationals require a much better social care system all round, which may help them stop poncing from foreigners. But what do I know?

Looking at the photo it  is quite obvious boys with toys stands out like a sore thumb. Looks like their second childhood is coming early. Tell him to dream up some money to pay for it. Dream weapon? Are they making this up??

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Well atleast these wont fall from the sky on a regular basis like the helicopters do !!

Well, going to the bottom of the sea ain't actually an improvement either :passifier: