BoT: not a lot of people know debit cards can be used in the same manner as credit cards

webfact

BoT: not a lot of people know debit cards can be used in the same manner as credit cards

BANGKOK, 4th May 2017, (NNT) - The national bank has recently revealed that a large number of Thais don't know that they can use debit cards in the same manner as credit cards, which has resulted in a low volume of usage. 

Bank of Thailand's Assistant Governor of the Payment Systems Policy and Financial Technology Group, Siritida Panomwon Na Ayudhya indicated today that the bank has already instructed various financial institutes to put more effort into promoting the use of debit cards in place of cash. She said a debit card is more convenient and safer than cash, which also has a higher management cost. 

She pointed out that most consumers are under the impression that the cards can only be used to withdraw cash from Automatic Teller Machines. 

Furthermore the national bank has a goal of installing Electronic Draft Capture (EDC) devices in at least 560,000 stores nationwide by March next year, in order to provide better support to debit cardholders. 

The Assistant Governor mentioned that several banks have lowered the processing fee, in order to make the paying method more appealing to a wider range of vendors.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-04

Until they introduce pin based verification for debit card, I will not activate it because anyone can use it the moment I lost it or it's stolen. Credit card is still safer because debit card deduction is immediately after transaction.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What's seriously missing IMHO in terms of comment from the BOT etc., is no mention that there is a cost to the card holder for every transaction.

What's forgotten / ignored is that Thailand still has very large numbers of citizens who need to watch every baht. An extra 3, 5, 10, or whatever Baht to make simple purchases adds us.

On the other side of the picture, and of course not mentioned, is massive income for the banks from the fees involved.  

I switched off my BB B 1st card for purchases, Unfortunately could not do the same with my chipped CIMB card, so limited it to a reasonably low daily value.

I think you can set purchase limit to 0 baht which effectively disable it.

CIMB told me cannot ... I will ask again ... This is the new chipped card with a six digit pin. Very unfortunately I lost my old card and that one was set to 0 for purchases.

CIMB told me cannot ... I will ask again ... This is the new chipped card with a six digit pin. Very unfortunately I lost my old card and that one was set to 0 for purchases.

That's interesting. I would never enable debit card purchase as money is deducted straight away unless pin verification is needed. Almost all purchase in Thailand can be done with signature and that is dangerous for cards stolen.

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

What's seriously missing IMHO in terms of comment from the BOT etc., is no mention that there is a cost to the card holder for every transaction.

What's forgotten / ignored is that Thailand still has very large numbers of citizens who need to watch every baht. An extra 3, 5, 10, or whatever Baht to make simple purchases adds us.

On the other side of the picture, and of course not mentioned, is massive income for the banks from the fees involved.  

And therein lies the reason for promoting the cards.

They are an effective and efficient transfer of money from us to the banks.

Would be great to use this debit cards for buying flight tickets online and so on. But that doesn't work. Even the virtual credit card from SCB doesn't work.

It should work. Basically it works like credit card, just that money are deducted immediately. Any debit cards with Visa or Master and purchase limit set should work.

Just now, shady86 said:

It should work. Basically it works like credit card, just that money are deducted immediately. Any debit cards with Visa or Master and purchase limit set should work.

But it does not.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:43 PM, JAS21 said:

I switched off my BB B 1st card for purchases, Unfortunately could not do the same with my chipped CIMB card, so limited it to a reasonably low daily value.

How do you switch off a Bangkok Bank Be 1st ATM/Debit (Visa) card? Or set the purchase limit to ZERO?

I can't find that option on iBanking. Is that something you have to request in person? 

Found this: 

Instruction for Purchasing Limit on Be1st Debit Card
You can select your preferred purchasing limit of your card at Bualuang Phone 1333 or 0-2645-5555 by following the steps below:
Shortcut menu for purchasing limit
1) Call 1333 or 0-2645-5555
2) Press 2, for English
3) Press 3, for card cancelation or to inquire or to change your Be1st, ATM or premier card usage limit
4) Press 3, to inquire or change the daily purchasing limit on the Be1st card
5) Press 1, to inquire about the current daily purchasing limit on this card Press 2, to change the current daily purchasing limit on this card
6) Please enter your Be1st card number
7) Please enter your four-digits PIN
8) Please select your daily purchasing limit
Press
Daily Purchasing Limit (Baht)
If you want to prevent any purchase of goods
with your Be1st card

You can change your limit via Bualuang Phone 24 hours a day.

Edited by mtls2005

How do you switch off a Bangkok Bank Be 1st ATM/Debit (Visa) card? Or set the purchase limit to ZERO?

I can't find that option on iBanking. Is that something you have to request in person? 

Found this: 

You can select your preferred purchasing limit of your card at Bualuang Phone 1333 or 0-2645-5555 by following the steps below:
2) Press 2, for English
3) Press 3, for card cancelation or to inquire or to change your Be1st, ATM or premier card usage limit
5) Press 1, to inquire about the current daily purchasing limit on this card Press 2, to change the current daily purchasing limit on this card
Press
with your Be1st card

You need to call them. I just wished everything can be much simpler here. I could do every thing online with my Singapore bank.

And whose fault is that they do not know how to use a debit card?

Debit cards have been used for years in the UK and work the same way as a credit card and just as safe. But with a debit card you have to have money in the bank, perhaps that's why they have not caught on here yet

Please note that the underlying PDF and what I pasted above has one error.

Press 1 for 5,000 (five thousand, not fifty-thousand)

The mistake seems obvious, but I didn't catch until just now after going through the IVR system

On 5/4/2017 at 3:13 PM, edd said:

You can not use a debit card at Makro.
Only a credit card.

You can no longer use a debit card at Index and a handful of other places, credit card or cash only.

For several years I used a VISA debit card, Oz bank, to make single bulk withdrawals in the baht 6 figure range, and there was no bank fees involved. For the last 2 years, banks have refused to allow this and only ATM withdrawals allowed. But I can buy air tickets online.

Edited by halloween

7 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Would be great to use this debit cards for buying flight tickets online and so on. But that doesn't work. Even the virtual credit card from SCB doesn't work.

Don't know which card(s) you are using, but KKB, to start, certainly do work online.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

You can no longer use a debit card at Index and a handful of other places, credit card or cash only.

Same with some restaurants, obviously because they too have no idea that a Visa is a Visa, no matter whether credit or debit. And I have queried it before, when a Manager then took over and processed it.

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Found this: 

2) Press 2, for English
Press
with your Be1st card

Yep, ludicrous. Had that with BBL once; never again. Aided and abetted by the oft incoherent and rushed English instructions.

14 hours ago, alocacoc said:

I have used The Kasikorn Virutal Visa card online for 3 years now and it works every time.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:22 PM, shady86 said:

Until they introduce pin based verification for debit card, I will not activate it because anyone can use it the moment I lost it or it's stolen. Credit card is still safer because debit card deduction is immediately after transaction.

I use my Bkk Bank debit card in Tesco, Big C etc. Do they EVER check my signature is same as on the card....NEVER. I quite often pull the cashier about it, what do i get....laughs!