'Recklessness' led to Red Line extension collapse that killed three

webfact

'Recklessness' led to Red Line extension collapse that killed three
By The Nation

3e3cdc5d09e02fbe9745de7ee04449ea.jpeg

File Photo

BANGKOK: -- The Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) has blamed recklessness for last week’s incident when large metal beams used to supporting the construction of a concrete cross support on the elevated Red Line extension fell, killing three workers in front of Bangkok’s Wat Don Mueang School on Kamphaeng Phet 6 Road.

EIT president Thanes Weerasiri told a press conference on Thursday that an initial investigation found the April 28 incident likely resulted from recklessness of the supervising engineer. 

As the crane had malfunctioned, it needed to be operated manually, he said. But the person operating the crane did not know the capacity of the crane and made it lift items beyond its capacity. The crane pulled at the metal beams supporting the concrete, which resulted in the metal part falling on the road, killing three workers who were standing below, he said. 

The EIT had sent the metal part samples for further testing, the result of which would be out in a week or two, he said.

Department of Labour Protection and Welfare deputy chief Suwitaya Chanthawong said the employer of the three deceased workers had already been summoned to meet officials as part of a probe to see if the employer had complied with the Occupational Safety, Health and Environment Act. Officials are awaiting more documents from the employer for the probe.

The employer faces imprisonment of up to one year and/or up to Bt400,000 fine if found guilty of violating the Act, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314270

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-05

1 hour ago, webfact said:

But the person operating the crane did not know the capacity of the crane and made it lift items beyond its capacity.

I call this lack of education aka not knowing what you're doing. Didn't he ever learn what the max capacity of his crane was???? I can't believe it.:passifier:

Then no charges should be brought, as it wasn't with criminal intent and the engineer should be  allowed to go about his business normally (if he's a spoilt Red Bull brat, that is). 

Wow !  What a revelation !  After a thorough investigation by a skilled engineer committee  they come up with a one word conclusion......Recklessness !  A five year old could have worked that out even if he couldnt spell it.

They're dealing with Italthai......for whom fatalities at their sites in and around BKK, are almost regular part of their experience....I believe something like 30 in the past 12-24 months, and many are not newsworthy of course and have not made the press.

Nothing serious happens to them.

24 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Never stand under a load ,that a crane is attempting to lift.

regards  worgeordie

The boys weren't necessarily under the load, I understand that at least one of them fell from the launcher when it recoiled as the support fell off (but he should have been wearing a harness).

There is no "crane" per-sé, the word is referring to the launching beam itself.

We have, failed equipment (why wasn't it fixed?), an inadequately trained operator (why was he operating it?) and the typical "must get it done" attitude.

Seems like everyone is at fault here.  We have a malfunctioning crane (what was malfunctioning?), that should have been taken out of service until properly fixed.  Then we have someone (construction supervisor, senior engineer??) ordering work to proceed anyway, and a crane operator, who apparently was insufficiently trained and did not know/understand load limits,

So the site supervisor/senior engineer needs to be held accountable as well as the company for not fixing the crane and for hiring an unqualified crane operator.  Lots of blame to go around here.

So what will be done?  Probably not much.  A slap on the wrist fine and that will be that.  Welcome to Amazing Thailand.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Never stand under a load ,that a crane is attempting to lift.

regards  worgeordie

One of the most basic rules of safety during crane operations, knowing the capacity of the plant you are operating is an even more fundamental rule. 

I agree with what has been said regarding knowledge of crane safe working loads by the operator but in addition should there also not be alarms sounding when these safe loads are reached that warn the operator that safe loads are being exceeded? What about heavy lift plans etc.??

2 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

One of the most basic rules of safety during crane operations, knowing the capacity of the plant you are operating is an even more fundamental rule. 

And for the last 30 years almost all cranes/lifting devices have their max. load printed on the machine in big letters.

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

I call this lack of education aka not knowing what you're doing. Didn't he ever learn what the max capacity of his crane was???? I can't believe it.:passifier:

Many times accidents like this comes from  hiring an unqualified relative or friend..Or an Engineer  supervisor that may have got his diploma by buying it or having another take his exams.all to often.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

Most Thais don't know the max capacity of what their truck is... judging by how many you see overloaded travelling down the highways!!!

Why would you even think that a crane driver knows what he's actually in control of?