Chonburi to host Air Race 1 World Cup Thailand

webfact

Chonburi to host Air Race 1 World Cup Thailand

PNECO600505001001301.jpg

CHONBURI, 5th May 2017, (NNT) - The Sports Authority of Thailand, part of the Ministry of Tourism and Sport, will host the Air Race 1 World Cup at U-Tapao Naval Air Base on the 17th - 19th of November. 

Minister of Tourism and Sports, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul yesterday recalled that last year Thailand became the first country in the history of the Asia Pacific region to hold a pylon air race, when it held a test event in preparation for the full World Cup of Air Racing this year, which is also part of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of ASEAN. 

Air Race 1 has been growing dramatically year on year and it is the only international air race which sees aircraft racing each other at the same time. Air Race 1 is the international level of the sport known for 70 years as Formula One air racing. It is true air racing in which eight planes race directly against each other at speeds of 450 kilometers per hour, each trying to cross the finish line first after eight laps around a tight five-kilometer circuit at just 10 meters above the ground. 

The aircraft involved in the races, referred to in the sport as Formula One airplanes, are the only class of aircraft built specifically for racing – and for racing fast! This highly competitive sport is rapidly growing into a mainstream popular series that is the ultimate test of both pilot and machine. 

Minister Kobkarn said sport is in the hearts all Thais and the passion for top level motor sport is exemplified by the nation's new commitment to hosting the Air Race 1 World Cup. She added that, as a leading global tourist destination, Thailand is always striving for interesting ways to attract new visitors and this event will help the Kingdom distinguish itself as an ever-active innovator. 

The Tourism and Sports Minister estimates that Air Race 1 willl attract at least 500,000 spectators.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-05

I recall seeing these races on TV in the UK (around the River Thames area in London, I think) and I am sure that the main sponsor of the event was a certain energy drink company, initials RB. Does anyone know if this will be the case here? There would seem to be a certain irony if it were the case.

7 hours ago, champers said:

I recall seeing these races on TV in the UK (around the River Thames area in London, I think) and I am sure that the main sponsor of the event was a certain energy drink company, initials RB. Does anyone know if this will be the case here? There would seem to be a certain irony if it were the case.

Very likely Champers and guess who is probably down to drop the starting flag..............:whistling:

they seek him here,they seek him there,they seek him everywhere :cheesy:

20 minutes ago, champers said:

This seems to be in competition with the Red Bull series, in fact looking at the website it all seems like some kind of start-up enterprise.  Nevertheless, it is sponsored by another energy drink, Chang (beer).

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

This seems to be in competition with the Red Bull series, in fact looking at the website it all seems like some kind of start-up enterprise.  Nevertheless, it is sponsored by another energy drink, Chang (beer).

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

The claims here are a bit off as per the speeds of Formula 1 air races as the speed records for this is 267 mph  set in 2014 and the Red Bull unlimited record is 507 mph set in 2003 by a P51D mustang. And this was around four poles on an average .( The fastest prop driven aircraft flying.) ever.

Edited by sanukjim

The Formula One racing as described by the article is a live race with aircraft racing each other around a course.  The Red Bull events are individual aircraft (often Extra 300s I believe) flying individually for time on a more complex maneuvering course.  Not sure but I think the Formula 1 racers are usually P51s.

13 hours ago, champers said:

Not the same races.

The Red Bull thing is basically solo sprints with aerobatics.

F1 air racing has been around nearly as long than GP motor racing and features a "grid" of aircraft racing against each other simultaneously.

Formula One Air Racing - Wikipedia

There are several classes which also race in this way.  Possibly the most spectacular and impressive being "Unlimited".

Cassut F1 racer (designed in the 50's):

cassut.JPG.17d537a30c5d44591e5a68d509ced1cf.JPG

Unlimited racer (modified fighter):

77_F8F-2_Bearcat_(N-777L)_Rare_Bear_2014_Reno_Air_Races.thumb.jpg.296294ee3c4374058b80f6bcfe451042.jpg

The Le Mans/Monaco/Daytona of air racing:

Reno Air Races - Wikipedia

Edited by Enoon

As said above this is really nothing like the Red Bull air races which are against the clock.

This is much, much more dangerous/dramatic. More like the 1960's F1 races. A misstep,

or structural/mechanical failure has a high probability in mortality for those involved.