Provision for the handicapped may delay opening of Pattaya tunnel

rooster59

On 5/6/2017 at 11:09 PM, BigBadGeordie said:

handicap noun

UK  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/ US  /ˈhæn.dɪ.kæp/

handicap noun (CONDITION)

[ C or U ] old-fashioned a condition in which part of your body or mind has been permanently damaged or does not work normally. This word is now considered offensive by many people, who prefer the word disability:

Sorry, I am not sensitive, but I find the headline offensive.

Be that as it may, many people grew up with the notion that "handicapped" was a respectful and compassionate term - in contrast to the many offensive alternatives. In fact the term disabled, even though it was the choice of replacement by the activists, sounds pretty cold and clinical. It's one of the many modern day examples of political correctness backfiring on people who are well intentioned. 

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Be that as it may, many people grew up with the notion that "handicapped" was a respectful and compassionate term - in contrast to the many offensive alternatives. In fact the term disabled, even though it was the choice of replacement by the activists, sounds pretty cold and clinical. It's one of the many modern day examples of political correctness backfiring on people who are well intentioned. 

Most "activists" these days are just looking for something to moan about , yesterdays polite term is today's slur , 

On 5/6/2017 at 7:33 PM, Thaidream said:

I truly hope none of you ever become handicapped or have family members that are. All projects need to have handicap access prior to opening. The BTS in Bangkok is an example of not caring about the handicapped; elderly or the infirm. 

As a driver in Thailand, I am sure you can experience the traffic a little longer so those who are not able bodied can be accommodated. After all- your are driving a vehicle not a wheelchair. How about some understanding.

Given that there is no consideration for the handicapped in LOS, anywhere that I have ever been, I find your post rather strange.

The specific example you use, the BTS is probably the only example of a company that did plan for wheelchair access. Not all stations have lifts, but they are building more.

The only problem is that while the platforms are accessible, many pavements are not, so there is no way for the handicapped to reach the stations to use the lifts.

Re the OP, whatever the real reason for the delay, it isn't about handicapped access or otherwise.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 5/9/2017 at 6:14 AM, lamyai3 said:

True. Many years ago in New Zealand, the service for disabled children was proudly known as "the  crippled children's society".

I don't know what it's called now, but I expect the PC brigade have forced a change.

As far as I am aware this pedestrian bridge was always in the plans, you may remember that there was a bridge there before construction started.

The new crossing point (bridge) was always going to have lifts for the Blind and Disabled children who attend the schools on the other side of the Suhkamvit Rd from Soi Siam CC.

It really is about time the needs of the few are taken into account for once in this country. So if the tunnel stays shut while they do this then all the better in my book, and they can also get on with starting work on the next tunnel while they're at it. The sooner they start the sooner they finish.

And yes I live in Pattaya so this will affect me as well, but I don't give a flyin F***, 

On 9 May 2560 BE at 10:34 AM, i claudius said:

Most "activists" these days are just looking for something to moan about , yesterdays polite term is today's slur , 

Has anyone bothered to ask these unfortunate folks what they prefer ?

It's heartbreaking to see so many of them......and it always amazes me to see them so cheery....

They have a big enough burden......they have a right to expect their lives to be made easier......

The Authorites and Contractors should hang their heads in shame.....

Just get on with it

Edited by DD13
Omission

2 hours ago, DD13 said:

It's heartbreaking to see so many of them......and it always amazes me to see them so cheery....

They have a big enough burden......they have a right to expect their lives to be made easier......

The Authorites and Contractors should hang their heads in shame.....

Just get on with it

You see a lot?

Apart from the occasional farang in a wheelchair on holiday ( always on walking St. ) the only Thais I've seen in wheelchairs are the beggar near Mike shopping mall and the beggar in a motorized one that patrols Walking St. It used to be a hand powered one but he upgraded a couple years ago.

amazing.......this disabled solution (lifts on both sides of the food-bridge) was planned BEFORE they started building the tunnel. 

Now the tunnel is very close to completion it's the disabled solution that causes a delay?

Just wondering what they mean with "disabled"; for now the tunnel is  disabled.

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

As far as I am aware this pedestrian bridge was always in the plans, you may remember that there was a bridge there before construction started.

The new crossing point (bridge) was always going to have lifts for the Blind and Disabled children who attend the schools on the other side of the Suhkamvit Rd from Soi Siam CC.

It really is about time the needs of the few are taken into account for once in this country. So if the tunnel stays shut while they do this then all the better in my book, and they can also get on with starting work on the next tunnel while they're at it. The sooner they start the sooner they finish.

And yes I live in Pattaya so this will affect me as well, but I don't give a flyin F***, 

A confusing part of the report is that the handicapped-accessible overpass is to be at the entrance of the tunnel.  If it were to be there for the benefit of the school, shouldn't it be where they built the brand new "regular" overpass with stairs on each end?  How many sets of pedestrian overpasses will there be at the intersection?

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You see a lot?

Apart from the occasional farang in a wheelchair on holiday ( always on walking St. ) the only Thais I've seen in wheelchairs are the beggar near Mike shopping mall and the beggar in a motorized one that patrols Walking St. It used to be a hand powered one but he upgraded a couple years ago.

Did you ever think that maybe you don't see many is because the facilities for persons with mobility problems are not there so how can they use them and be seen ?

I came here one winter after a home accident left me in a wheel chair for two months and believe me, after one trip outside my central Pattaya condo the only other excursions were to the hospital for physical therapy.  An absolute nightmare to get around.  Even if the sidewalks were clear there was no way to get from the road up on to the sidewalk.  The only provisions were an occasional brick placed so motorcycles could get on the sidewalk  

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You see a lot?

Yes I do see a lot of the unfortunate people

Try taking a ride up to the Father Ray Establishment it's along the Soi from Big C Pattaya Klang

or go to Big C later today ....Friday appears to be a popular day for their shopping

There isn't a great deal of sand up there, but I see many bars when I pass by, so maybe sit a while 

Good to get some compassion within oneself

Edited by DD13
Omission

14 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Did you ever think that maybe you don't see many is because the facilities for persons with mobility problems are not there so how can they use them and be seen ?

I came here one winter after a home accident left me in a wheel chair for two months and believe me, after one trip outside my central Pattaya condo the only other excursions were to the hospital for physical therapy.  An absolute nightmare to get around.  Even if the sidewalks were clear there was no way to get from the road up on to the sidewalk.  The only provisions were an occasional brick placed so motorcycles could get on the sidewalk  

Langsuan Man, you had problems using a wheelchair for 2 months.

What about people like me stuck in a wheelchair every single day, a bloody nightmare.

Even going out using my mobility scooter is a nightmare, as i cannot get up on the footpaths.

One other point, saying that the delay in opening the tunnel is due to disabled access not being finished, is just a load of bu...hit.

7 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I am well aware of the reason we don't see wheelchair users around Thailand cities. In a perfect world and all that, but the reality is that there is no wheelchair accessibility in the public domain in Thailand. Same reason Thais don't use pushchairs for children.

I used to live with a para, so I know all about wheelchairs and access etc.

6 hours ago, DD13 said:

Yes I do see a lot of the unfortunate people

Try taking a ride up to the Father Ray Establishment it's along the Soi from Big C Pattaya Klang

or go to Big C later today ....Friday appears to be a popular day for their shopping

There isn't a great deal of sand up there, but I see many bars when I pass by, so maybe sit a while 

Good to get some compassion within oneself

Compassion, LOL.

I was a nurse for decades and lived with a para wheelchair user, so I know all about compassion and wheelchairs.

However, wishing for wheelchair accessibility in Thailand is like wishing pigs could fly, not going to happen for a long time.

BTW, I was a long time sponsor of a child at Father Ray's orphanage ( called Pattaya orphanage back then when the good father was alive ), so I know all about Fr. Ray's and the disabled school.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Compassion, LOL.

I was a nurse for decades and lived with a para wheelchair user, so I know all about compassion and wheelchairs.

However, wishing for wheelchair accessibility in Thailand is like wishing pigs could fly, not going to happen for a long time.

BTW, I was a long time sponsor of a child at Father Ray's orphanage ( called Pattaya orphanage back then when the good father was alive ), so I know all about Fr. Ray's and the disabled school.

So how is it you said that you never see Thais in wheelchairs ??.....strange

But good on you for sponsoring an orphaned child

There is a dedicated wheelchair lane in this Soi.......but sadly the motorcyclists think it is ok to park on it........it astounds me that the authorities don't deal with these selfish people.....many a time I have stopped my car when the wheelchair user has needed to use the road to continue their journey

Didn't realise there were provisions for handicapped here.

In BigC car-parks, for example, dis-abled parking is used by vehicles that certainly do not have dis-abled drivers.

All I see is ME ME ME taking over everything.

So handicapped provisions, to me, would be worthless here.

Isn't this the pedestrian overpass with lifts for wheelchairs that's been blocked from being construction by a business (pawn shop?) on the other side as they claimed that the overpass could deliver cat burglar to their 2nd/3rd floor window and blocking their frontage?

if that's the case the contractors have found a good excuse for being over schedule without worrying about penalty, and all bits of the underpass is finished now except for an extra pedestrian bridge

18 hours ago, DD13 said:

So how is it you said that you never see Thais in wheelchairs ??.....strange

But good on you for sponsoring an orphaned child

There is a dedicated wheelchair lane in this Soi.......but sadly the motorcyclists think it is ok to park on it........it astounds me that the authorities don't deal with these selfish people.....many a time I have stopped my car when the wheelchair user has needed to use the road to continue their journey

I don't see Thais in wheelchairs on the streets where I go as it's impossible for them to use the pavements, and the road is too dangerous.

Except on Walking Street, of course, where wheelchairs beggars seem to be the "thing" now.

The usual guy in a motorised 3 wheeler, a guy in what might be his old hand propelled 3 wheeler and 2 women in wheelchairs.

Not to forget the beggar near Mike mall.

I did see an old farang on a 3 wheel electric chair last night.

However, they would all be delivered to their location as not possible for them to get there on the pavements. Most Pattaya pavements are not even wide enough for a wheelchair to get down. How would you solve that problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 3:38 PM, phetpeter said:

Would it not be cheaper to put in a pedestrian crossing with BIG traffic lights and cameras for red light jumpers, very clear road markings and signs and a maintenance contract to make sure they work. plus a policeman on duty there for two weeks to slap instant fines. Gotta be cheaper than build a bridge, which will not get used, except for suicide jumpers. and motorbikes. 

There IS a pedestrian crossing at the Central Rd. traffic lights. It even has lights for the pedestrians ( if they are actually wired up ).

All at ground level, so no overbridge required there.

I'm confused by this OP. Were they talking about an overbridge specifically for the disabled at the school for disabled in that area?

The disabled are certainly catered for at the intersection.