PM scolds student activist for plan to change university’s prostration custom

rooster59

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

So prostrating yourself before an inanimate object is a good tradition? Its a lump of metal. May as well prostrate yourself before a telephone box. Ask those who are prostrating themselves whether in their hearts they want to do it and many would say no but do it because they are afraid of repercussions.

Any "tradition" which is built out of fear is not a tradition worth preserving.   

Like paying tax

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Get over your prejudice, the voting age in Thailand is 18 and that's a recognition of the young knowing enough to elect their leaders. In the sense, Netiwit is right that Prayut broke the rule and in some country is treason. 

The coup removed a criminal conspiracy purporting to be a government. In the same countries that may consider that treason, the actions of the Yingluk government, starting with its MPs accepting 3rd  party payments, moving along to allowing cabinet access to a fugitive criminal, and culminating in Ministers enriching themselves through fraudulent sale of government assets, would see them dragged from office and jailed.

But hey, I should ignore that because some snot-nosed uni student doesn't like it.

Stupid custom, people should be free to abide by this custom or not. I can see why a military man likes it.. good way to control the masses.  But people should be free to abide by this custom or not. 

2 hours ago, halloween said:

The coup removed a criminal conspiracy purporting to be a government. In the same countries that may consider that treason, the actions of the Yingluk government, starting with its MPs accepting 3rd  party payments, moving along to allowing cabinet access to a fugitive criminal, and culminating in Ministers enriching themselves through fraudulent sale of government assets, would see them dragged from office and jailed.

But hey, I should ignore that because some snot-nosed uni student doesn't like it.

"The coup removed a criminal conspiracy purporting to be a government".   And replaced it with another.  "snot-nosed"?  Does that mean everyone who thinks debasing oneself before an inanimate object is demented and backwards is also snot-nosed?  Your prejudice is bordering pathological. 

21 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"The coup removed a criminal conspiracy purporting to be a government".   And replaced it with another.  "snot-nosed"?  Does that mean everyone who thinks debasing oneself before an inanimate object is demented and backwards is also snot-nosed?  Your prejudice is bordering pathological. 

Seems we agree the Yingluk government was a criminal conspiracy in need of removal.

The term referred to his rather shallow historical perspective of the removal of that government; I have made no comment on the prostration issue. But just for you, I would not engage in such an activity myself or ask others to do so, and would instead seek education at a university more in line with my own ideals. Then again, I am not an egotistical attention seeking would-be politician.

However, I don't find the practice any more unusual than some of the cultural practices and traditions of some western universities.

Edited by halloween

• 5 months later...

The follow up question that I would like answered is this: Has someone been appointed or elected to fill Netiwit's position? If so, how have the students reacted? Does anyone have answers to these questions?

On 5/6/2017 at 2:22 PM, SiamBeast said:

Good traditions need to be preserved. As long as activists like that will try to abolish traditions and push progessive cancers under the name of "equality", Thai people are not ready for a democratic government, and we need Prayut to continue what he's doing.

Groveling is NOT a good tradition and already banned by one of Thailand's greatest kings.

Alas, this shows, once more, some persons want to bring back the dark middle ages to a country which was barely out of these, to comfort their position and allow themselves to get on the first line at the trough, alas.

I applauded in 2014, as no way they could be as bad as the ones they (...?) chose to replace. IMO, they still aren't, but the gap is narrowing.

Silly me, I thought they had learned from the fiasco their ruling was after 2006, but it seems for some categories it is even harder to learn than for the others in this country...

Mind you, it's not only here, I have been in the army in my home-country, and have been made to(!) understand that there, as, alas in other NATO countries, the ranks were not based on character, quality, skills, leadership, ...nor intelligence, forget 'humanity'. The main difference being those armies don't mingle into state politics (anymore).

Edited by bangrak

It's kids exactly like this which are the future leaders. What balls on this kid. Maybe I know his mother. 

I bet he speaks English as well. This current coup leader has done exactly what this champion claims and worse. My opinion is his the worst leader in the history of Thailand. I bet Thai can't wait to see all these non English speaking generals gone. 

As I say, The Lunatics are running the Asylum!