Getting TV content into my new house – only using a wireless connection – Advice Please

Williamthe2nd

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this ?

I am looking for an option to get TV content ( other than Terrestrial ) into a new house Ive just moved out in the sticks, at the new house there’s a TOT land line , but according to TOT the house is to far away from a box to get a connection for ADSL internet . There are no AIS Airnet  (Wireless fixed internet) antennas in the area  or TOT winet  . There are no nearby neighbors to ask . I really want to try and stay away from True satellite .

The house is not faraway from both AIS and True radio towers , and both provide good full signals on my mobile phone. Currently I use my Android mobile phone as a hot spot to download content onto my laptop.

So what options would there be ( if any )  for getting TV content ( primarily for the Thai wife ) into the new house , but using only 3G / 4G  radio signals. I have looked through other topics here , but it seems they are mainly about wired / fiber internet connections.. I do have a new LG smart TV that has a built in WiFi .

Any thoughts please.

Watching tv via 3/4 g will cost you a fortune, if no hardwired internet is available TOT ,True,3bb,Cat or Ais

And you don't want terrestrial or True satellite then try

PSI satellite tv get the bigger black mesh C band dish for more free channels and less rain fade.

Have you tried Terrestrial at your location?

you can buy a high gain yagi TV antenna at Thai Watsadu for not much baht.

just buy the antenna with the longest boom and the most elements.

the key is to get it up high and pointed in the right direction.

Edited by NCC1701A

Both Ais and dtac now have unlimited 4g/3g packages. Here are the details:

http://www.ais.co.th/postpaid/4gmaxspeedunlimited/en/?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-postpaid_submenu1-netalways_package_submenu2-4gmaxspeedunlimited_submenu3

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/go-no-limit.html

So it does not have to cost you a fortune. Your wife will probably want the Thai channels, which are free from various sites, including ilikehd. For western FTA channnels, you can use a vpn to access their channels from their websites.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:08 PM, johng said:

PSI satellite tv get the bigger black mesh C band dish for more free channels and less rain fade.

We used to have a PSI satellite dish with both C and Ku LNB's.

Not much English language content though.

Here and here are links which shows a total of about 240 active stations.

Not to say you're wrong,but I just cant believe they can offer truly unlimited 4g data at those prices
their network would have to have huge capacity....there has to be some sort of "catch" if not it seems like the deal of the century !

On 5/9/2017 at 10:58 AM, MANICMINER said:

http://www.ais.co.th/postpaid/4gmaxspeedunlimited/en/?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-postpaid_submenu1-netalways_package_submenu2-4gmaxspeedunlimited_submenu3

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/go-no-limit.html

So it does not have to cost you a fortune. Your wife will probably want the Thai channels, which are free from various sites, including ilikehd. For western FTA channnels, you can use a vpn to access their channels from their websites.

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Not to say you're wrong,but I just cant believe they can offer truly unlimited 4g data at those prices
their network would have to have huge capacity....there has to be some sort of "catch" if not it seems like the deal of the century !

The AIS package is a a bit confusing regarding 4G:

"4G Internet can be used unlimited which no reduce speed, maximum speed 300 Mbps for all package."

So, 4G is unlimited at 300Mbps??? 

18 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

"4G Internet can be used unlimited which no reduce speed, maximum speed 300 Mbps for all package."

Odd isn't it. Either way they have the same T&Cs as DTAC, i.e. don't use too much data.

On 5/6/2017 at 3:08 PM, johng said:

Watching tv via 3/4 g will cost you a fortune, if no hardwired internet is available TOT ,True,3bb,Cat or Ais

And you don't want terrestrial or True satellite then try

If it is just for the wife PSI should do fine... keeps mine amused for hours...  I can't stand it...

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

The Thai translation for unlimited broadband is totally different to the western meaning.  Here it means the download speed, not the data, if you look at the AIS link it shows total data included in the packages.  The top AIS package is 30GB for 1900 baht, you can chew this quickly if you are watching streaming content.

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes, be VERY wary of unlimited claims. Thais appear to have an entirely different understanding of the word. In my experience they actually mean unlimited up to a limit xxx.

Yes I don't think Ais unlimited 4G is true , I pay just under 900baht per month but it only gives 15G and then it slows down , so won't be any good for livestreaming, but still ok for emails, Facebook etc.I just downloaded Live NetTV, so will put it to the test.

Yes, unlimited to mean unlimited wifi but once you exceed your data limit, the speed slows down.

I just bought new notebook to stream tv. I have unlimited 3G wifi with true.

I watched couple hours of HD content on YouTube & received a text from true "you have used 9gb of 16gb".

I watched just over another hour of YouTube & another text from true "you have used 12gb of 16gb". 

Wow, 3gb in an hour! 

Went to true & asked for advice. They told me I get 100mbps speed but once I've used my 16gb it drops to 128kbps.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I only receive a thousandth of the speed?

Ive checked websites & some say I can still stream tv whilst others tell me I can't.

From experience here in Thailand, can anyone tell me if 128kbps is enough to stream tv?  

Edited by LammyTS1

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

From experience here in Thailand, can anyone tell me if 128kbps is enough to stream tv?

technically yes its possible to stream @ 128Kbps   but the resolution would be terrible and the size about  that of a postage stamp

I don't think there is anyone streaming at that low bitrate...what you would get is just "endless buffering" where the picture just stops.

For anything approaching watch ability on a TV screen you would need  over 1Mbps   2-3 Mbps would be pretty good quality 5-6 Mbps would be

"HD quality"  8-12 Mbps would be very good HD quality and 15Mbps +++ could be 4K

fixed line ADSL or Fiber ( maybe Wifi offerings from the ISP's too )  cant be beaten for  truly unlimited data

5916c1e24cafc_trafficgraph.jpg.bce4b59ee7eecf29471a0a6ce1aef0a8.jpg