Thoughts on Khao Lak?

Never been, thinking of checking it out next month.

Read stuff on t'internet, looks decent, worth a few days or so. Anyone been/an expert/live nearby have any inside info on the areas, things to do, good places for a beer, the beaches?

:)

I was there last week and some of the comments above were incorrect/out of date.

The place is dead - many hotels have closed and there are very few tourists about.

Hotels are very cheap - I stayed in a 5 star hotel named after flowers for 2,200THB per night including breakfast.

Things to do:

Khao Sok national park.

Scuba Diving.

Beach

Not a lot else.

Bars are all closing - the best one - Mars bar, is closing soon.

I personally like the place and visit often - precisely because it is fading fast and is no longer wall to wall fat tourists.

You will find it OK-ish - not much to do, as other Posters have said.

Beach is fine, but to get into the "town" you'll need a tuk tuk.

It is cheaper than Phuket of course, but has not got the vibes.

It's a place to veg-out IMHO.

its a beautiful long beach with very nice ( overpriced ) accommodations/resorts on the beach.  its just one road thru town. Restaurants are more expensive than Phuket and not much to do,

Koh Lanta is MUCH nicer

9 hours ago, andy said:

Worth going.  Has a nice slightly chilled vibe to it without being too quiet.  The beach and sea is nice for swimming.  There is a tourist scene in peak season, but it's nothing like Phuket and the associated problems there.  You are going in the off season so it should be fine and accommodation will be cheaper.

Pretty much to the point. Very chilled here, great empty long beaches, much less hassle compared to Phuket, and the low seasons are quiet and lots of houses available now for long term rent, and the swanky resorts are starting with deals now, rooms with breakfast available for less then 1000 baht.

The place is home for me since many years, the first 10 or so, I used to move away in the low seasons, and work in other places,  mostly Thailand, since it was just too quiet (and rainy) here, and no money to be made,  but the last few years there is more going on here in the low season as well, so I stay around.

The diving islands are closing next week, so the diving guests move to Phuket,  but Khao Sok nat. park and the Phang Nga / Bay area are still great options for trips. Many roads to explore here, with a bike.

There are some things that are more expensive than elsewhere, like taxi (fixed prices) and high end hotels, and restaurants in the khao lak center area...   but if you grab a motorbike for rent and eat around Bang Niang area (being 3 km north of Khao Lak center, and the best area to stay ) it's cheap living here, lots of restaurants with good prices where the Thais eat, lots of food options also western food ( run a place myself here too ) , three bustling markets with good prices, everything available here.

Nightlife nothing compared to Phuket, hardly any dumb girlie bars ( thank God ) but quite a few live music bars, the Build (big all night Pub ) and many bars around besides Mars bar...   too many places to cover for me.  And more bars popping up since the new Build market is growing.

Many friends have come here over the years, and never left.. or visit every year.  Surely the best place for a mix between a bit of tourism and good life, and still quiet and chilled vibes.

What's the water like at the moment? Safe for swimming? Nai Harn has turned now; very cloudy and becoming rough, with a lot of flotsam and jetsam coming ashore. Not pleasant.

Lived there for some time got in with the wrong housing devlopment people and forced to move but the place itself is fantastic really. I miss the place and  all be it relatively small with not much to do if you love the ocean and a laid back scene and anything associated its the place to be. 

Was there during the tsunami also and it was devisted. Pretty sad and thought i would lose interest in the place but didnt. Most things are expensive. For sight seeing or holiday its great. Living... So, so.... Not so convienient. Oh and mcdonalds has a farang price and food poisioning is common from there. Its a fond memory i thought i should share.

2 hours ago, PaoloR said:

I was there last week and some of the comments above were incorrect/out of date.

The place is dead - many hotels have closed and there are very few tourists about.

Hotels are very cheap - I stayed in a 5 star hotel named after flowers for 2,200THB per night including breakfast.

Things to do:

Khao Sok national park.

Scuba Diving.

Beach

Not a lot else.

I personally like the place and visit often - precisely because it is fading fast and is no longer wall to wall fat tourists.

The diving shuts down too.

No customers, the westerly monsoon storms can whip up the sea in no time and I believe the marine park closes.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

its a beautiful long beach with very nice ( overpriced ) accommodations/resorts on the beach.  its just one road thru town. Restaurants are more expensive than Phuket and not much to do,

Koh Lanta is MUCH nicer

Agree that even lanta is better. Cannot ho anywhere easily from Kaolak without own vehicule. Even ridiculous to go there if it's not in group tour.

I used to spend Jan. & Feb. and July & Aug. in Khao Lak...

which is actually 25 km of 9 different beaches with two townships: Bang La On (Khao Lak Centre) and Bang Niang a 3-5 minute drive north. Low season (May- Oct.) rates are at least half, and can be as low as 1/10 those of peak season (Christmas & New Year). Last summer, I stayed at the 4-star Bhandari Resort for 800 baht per night including a fantastic buffet breakfast. You can have (a really good) dinner with a beer at DeeDee Cafe for 100 baht. Accommodation for all budgets is available - from 150 baht/night dorm beds to 'the sky is the limit' pool villas.

If you stay at an isolated 5-star resort you will pay 'through the nose'... for everything. 

27 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

which is actually 25 km of 9 different beaches with two townships: Bang La On (Khao Lak Centre) and Bang Niang a 3-5 minute drive north. Low season (May- Oct.) rates are at least half, and can be as low as 1/10 those of peak season (Christmas & New Year). Last summer, I stayed at the 4-star Bhandari Resort for 800 baht per night including a fantastic buffet breakfast. You can have (a really good) dinner with a beer at DeeDee Cafe for 100 baht. Accommodation for all budgets is available - from 150 baht/night dorm beds to 'the sky is the limit' pool villas.

If you stay at an isolated 5-star resort you will pay 'through the nose'... for everything. 

The main beach is pretty darn nice.  We went to some a bit north that were spectacular. 

On 08/05/2017 at 4:59 AM, zyphodb said:

Very pretty, stupidly expensive by Thai standards for just about anything....

Looking at accommodation on booking sites it looks very cheap, lots of places around the 700-1000 that look like they're worth that price, i.e. don't look too run down, highly rated, good recent comments.

In terms of food, I will be by myself, relaxing, not too bothered about restaurants, I will am more a grab some street food type guy, I assume there's plenty of that about?

20 hours ago, cruisemonkey said:

Probably looking at Bang La On.

I'll be in Surat so thinking of taking a jaunt down for a few days. Not a fan of Phuket at all so that's not an option. Probably will head to Lanta too as some of mentioned, have been there before and it was nice but 3-4 days somewhere I haven't been before sounded like worth checking out.

How's the transport in and out? Getting to Krabi, etc?

I think some places are offering low season rates......at this time of year!

Not sure about food, other than restaurants....., but there would be places the local would use.... it's a fairly long strip of road.

Worth visiting the Tsunami Museum (north of town if memory serves_ )

On 08/05/2017 at 6:46 AM, hanssna said:

Pretty much to the point. Very chilled here, great empty long beaches, much less hassle compared to Phuket, and the low seasons are quiet and lots of houses available now for long term rent, and the swanky resorts are starting with deals now, rooms with breakfast available for less then 1000 baht.

The place is home for me since many years, the first 10 or so, I used to move away in the low seasons, and work in other places,  mostly Thailand, since it was just too quiet (and rainy) here, and no money to be made,  but the last few years there is more going on here in the low season as well, so I stay around.

The diving islands are closing next week, so the diving guests move to Phuket,  but Khao Sok nat. park and the Phang Nga / Bay area are still great options for trips. Many roads to explore here, with a bike.

There are some things that are more expensive than elsewhere, like taxi (fixed prices) and high end hotels, and restaurants in the khao lak center area...   but if you grab a motorbike for rent and eat around Bang Niang area (being 3 km north of Khao Lak center, and the best area to stay ) it's cheap living here, lots of restaurants with good prices where the Thais eat, lots of food options also western food ( run a place myself here too ) , three bustling markets with good prices, everything available here.

Nightlife nothing compared to Phuket, hardly any dumb girlie bars ( thank God ) but quite a few live music bars, the Build (big all night Pub ) and many bars around besides Mars bar...   too many places to cover for me.  And more bars popping up since the new Build market is growing.

Many friends have come here over the years, and never left.. or visit every year.  Surely the best place for a mix between a bit of tourism and good life, and still quiet and chilled vibes.

Thanks and thanks all for contining thoughts on Khao Lak.

I am ok just chilling for a few days and relaxing. Not into the whole diving thing, just relax on the beach, few beers, some thai food. Just thinking of breaking up being on Koh Pha Ngan and whichever place after, probably Lanta. I don't need all night parties either, place to grab a beer is fine and happy to home not long after midnight with a sangsom/coke on the balcony :sleepy:

I know it's low season, I'll usually get a bike anyway to explore so thats all cool too. I have spent time around Takua Pa waaaaay back the past and always liked this area. Something different from the hoardes, isn't it :smile:

3 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

I think some places are offering low season rates......at this time of year!

Not sure about food, other than restaurants....., but there would be places the local would use.... it's a fairly long strip of road.

Worth visiting the Tsunami Museum (north of town if memory serves_ )

I generally find no matter where you are in Thailand you'll always find local food. Despite being a bit rusty my written and spoken Thai will never fail me when it comes to food :sleepy:

I even checked it on google maps and actually looks a bit more 'developed' than I thought, which is fine. I realise it's just a 'road through' type deal and I do like the various islands but for 3-4 days of my life, I think I can handle checking out somewhere new. I always heard a lot of people say good things about Khao Lak.

Man, I love low season in Thailand! I had some of the best weather of my life during low seasons, everything is cheaper, not as crowded ... low season is the new high season, don't tell anyone!

On 5/8/2017 at 8:22 AM, PaoloR said:

Things to do:

Khao Sok national park.

Scuba Diving.

Beach

Not a lot else.

For the OP,  scuba diving and beach can be deleted from the list. Next month those activities will not be possible there.

There are busses to/from Phuket to points north going through all day. I used to fly into HKT and use 'Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi' to get to Khao Lak - 1000 baht to Bang La On. 

There are two 'tsunami memorials': The Tor 813 Police Boat at Bang Niang, and the Baan Nam Khem Tsunami Memorial Park about 25 min. drive north toward Takua Pa. I recommend it if you have transportation. From Baan Nam Khem, you can get a longtail over to Koh Kor Khao - 20 baht/person & 20 baht/scooter.

The weather is completely unpredictable and very 'localized' due to the geography. It can be pouring rain in Bang La On and sunny in Bang Niang. Being 'green season', you will likely experience a series of thunderstorm squalls rolling in from the south west. If you're only staying 3-4 days, you could experience almost constant rain... or constant blue sky and sun. Most likely, a combination of 'everything' each day.

Edited by cruisemonkey

On 09/05/2017 at 0:11 PM, cruisemonkey said:

There are busses to/from Phuket to points north going through all day. I used to fly into HKT and use 'Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi' to get to Khao Lak - 1000 baht to Bang La On. 

There are two 'tsunami memorials': The Tor 813 Police Boat at Bang Niang, and the Baan Nam Khem Tsunami Memorial Park about 25 min. drive north toward Takua Pa. I recommend it if you have transportation. From Baan Nam Khem, you can get a longtail over to Koh Kor Khao - 20 baht/person & 20 baht/scooter.

The weather is completely unpredictable and very 'localized' due to the geography. It can be pouring rain in Bang La On and sunny in Bang Niang. Being 'green season', you will likely experience a series of thunderstorm squalls rolling in from the south west. If you're only staying 3-4 days, you could experience almost constant rain... or constant blue sky and sun. Most likely, a combination of 'everything' each day.

No problem, I am ok with the vagaries of Thai low season weather.

I will probably go from Surat bus station