Four killed as pickup rams into rescue workers assisting injured biker

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are practiced emergency procedures that should be implemented for such road side rescue operations...especially at night time.

Several flashing red lights and night time illuminated fluorescent orange color traffic cones, for example, positioned forward of the accident scene and used to forewarn everyone of what is up ahead and indicating the need to slow down.

Also 1 designated rescue worker positioned several hundred meters up the road waving a pulsing red flashlight and wearing a orange color night time illuminated reflective safety vest to forewarn the on coming traffic to slow down.

But nope...they do not properly equip the emergency rescue works with anything other than a pick up truck and sheer bravado.

Cheers       

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Almost certainly speeding and almost certainly, not paying attention to their surroundings, I see it myself every day, the drivers head bobbing around as he/she chats in the cab/watches TV/plays with the kids/plays with the phone - those things combined with some of the slowest reaction times I'm ever seen anywhere, I don't know what that's all about but the "think" needed to act seems way too high, that's why I spend more time watching what's going on behind me than in front and why I wont let people get get even a little bit close to my rear bumper. You only have to add alcohol to all of that and you end up with a super dangerous driving environment, which is what it is.

You are completely right with the slow reaction times, they can't stop in time for red lights and they are very slow at pulling away at green lights.Add to that they never do anything wrong and failure to admit that they have done wrong. Proper education is the answer and it needs to start at a very early age. Been taught not to rely on amulets would be a start and to be able to spot danger would be good as well. Probably there are other countries where the same applies but the death rate on the roads in Thailand will not improve until these issues are addressed.

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.
Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

And 1 police man. Now it's correct. Better reading.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J710F mit Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, hocuspocus said:

You are completely right with the slow reaction times, they can't stop in time for red lights and they are very slow at pulling away at green lights.Add to that they never do anything wrong and failure to admit that they have done wrong. Proper education is the answer and it needs to start at a very early age. Been taught not to rely on amulets would be a start and to be able to spot danger would be good as well. Probably there are other countries where the same applies but the death rate on the roads in Thailand will not improve until these issues are addressed.

Folk here are slow at lights for a very good reason, nothing to do with reaction times...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Folk here are slow at lights for a very good reason, nothing to do with reaction times...

Absolutely, it's about waiting for the red light runners to pass, the late arrivals who have a death wish - green light, count to five, drive.

Do you ever see a Thai driver slow down for road work repairmen? Total lack of consideration for others, once again. My one and major road rage incident was when I slowed to 40kms/hr for roadworkers and the guy behind was in a major hurry, flashing lights, major tail gating, but not too much to get past once past the road works and to finally block me off and stopping me moving. This, for me, shows the whole Thai mentality for giving consideration to others on the road, be they ambulance, other road users, repairmen, etc, etc. An incident like the death of these poor souls is totally preventable, but nothing good will come of it unfortunately, It is just another statistic to be used by the Department to justify its funding and to pat itself on the back if there is a 0.03% improvement in road fatalities at the end of the year. Big piss up then.

You know if I did not read this , I would never believe it. RIP to the victims, but this is way to common now , sheer stupidity and ignorance of the law coupled with almost ZERO enforcement anywhere, I am not surprised at this. What is worse I bet the driver of the Ramming Pick-up may not even have insurance .

Sad but true Thais are their own worst enemy.

There are a lot of similarities between Mini van and pick up drivers.I get disgusted about pick up drivers speeding with 120 km an hour with 8 construction workers in the floorbed and not giving a rats ass about them these drivers need to be severely punished!

19 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I tend to be agnostic most days, but Jesus man. That is one hell of a pileup...and i bet it was mostly preventable.

It was entirely preventable. Why the heck did the motorcyclist hit a roadside barrier? If he had managed to drive in a straight line then none of this would have happened. The same day, I witnessed a kid come off a motorbike she was driving - no helmet, too young, no insurance of course - on a long straight road, for no reason at all. There have been 10+ accidents within 300 metres of my house in the last two years, people dead, limbs lost, on another long straight road. I just don't get it.

Thais cannot put down their mobile phones - social media - playing games - they just cannot stop, sitting walking riding driving they cannot stop. couple that with speeding and drink driving and you see the result.

I as a pedestrian have personally witnessed 3x accidents were the driver had his/her face buried in a phone, I have also witnessed many incidents of poor driving and when I get along side and look - face buried in phone.

In the west cars are fitted with BT (I assume many here too) and you can make and take calls hands free as the phone is integrated into the car, that is fine for calls, the problem is that along came facebook Line whatsapp etc which require hands on interaction, basically people are surfing the net while driving, this is 100 times worse than watching TV for example which I have also seen.

The timing of both these accidents (the small morning hours) would highly likely imply both the original motorbike rider and the pickup driver had been drinking, the driver of the pickup was obviously not paying attention to the road which would also highly likely imply he/she had their head buried in a mobile, couple that with  speeding (impact evidence) and the outcome is .........people dead and another diving tragedy on Thai roads

Edited by smedly

3 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Oops, here we go again- time for stupid (negative) generalizations about Thai people!  :sleepy:

You don't like the "facts" regarding road users and the high accident/fatality rate in Thailand...?

5 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Oops, here we go again- time for stupid (negative) generalizations about Thai people!  :sleepy:

I think the discussion is about road safety on "Thai" roads - you do realise it is probably the worst on the planet by a country mile, so yes people here are being negative about road safety in Thailand which is generally occupied by ............... Thais 

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You don't like the "facts" regarding road users and the high accident/fatality rate in Thailand...?

No, I don't like ridiculous generalizations about 60 million people based on limited information or situations! Yes, I am aware of the terrible annual road toll, nearly every time I drive I am close to joining the stats! As we both know, there are some real Barry Crockers on Thai roads, to be sure. 

However, my wife plans ahead (most times better than her smart, professional farang husband) and her brothers (all in the building industry) are as safety conscious as any of us. 

There, dumb generalization dealt with.

amazing that NOBODY has drawn an analogy between this incident, in which the p/u driver

was charged immediately, and a certain spoiled brat scion of an energy drink fortune,

who through liberal brown envelopes and blood money to the relatives has managed 

to escape justice in a hugely flamboyant manner...  :post-4641-1156693976:

that said, there was a horrible m/c-m/c accident right in front of my home the other night-

one driver was Thai, one was a tourist; both severely injured...

sounded to me & my next door neighbors as if somebody had thrown a huge rock against our front doors...

something must be done to stop this wholly unavoidable carnage...

for me one of the stats that stands out from all the others is the incidence of bus accidents, in the UK for example you might hear of possibly one bus accident in say 12 months but in Thailand it is almost daily, I see we have another one this morning 

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That is most certainly a scene of absolute carnage. One wonders why the pick up never saw the ambulance. It is standard procedure for them at every accident to have the flashing lights going. RIP to the good people trying to help who have lost their lives.

Maths problem, the truck hit 6 workers, killed 4 and injured three. That makes 7.

Maths problem solved...

Six rescue workers, pickup driver, policeman and motorcyclist makes 9; 7 into 9 still leaves 2 lucky people.  

Why are there always a shit-load of bystanders at these accidents; ****in ghouls.  It's as though they're all waiting so they can get some entertainment in their lives.

R I P to the 4 dead, and I hope Karma takes care of the pickup driver.

Driver could have fallen asleep or passed out.

If the proximate cause of the accident was a medical condition like a stroke, there would be no liability as there is no negligence and that could create Insurance, Liability collection problems for all the victims families. 

Highway night travel is beginning to concern me with more and more fatal accidents.

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic absolutely tragic, people going out to help others and get killed by a possible speeding driver.

Hope the pickup driver was giving the breath bag.

One thing that amazes me here, is they never seem to put up warning signals far enough back from accidents for other motorists to see.

Your right of course colin but is there a disconnect here between seeing and reaction?

10 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Driver could have fallen asleep or passed out.

If the proximate cause of the accident was a medical condition like a stroke, there would be no liability as there is no negligence and that could create Insurance, Liability collection problems for all the victims families. 

Highway night travel is beginning to concern me with more and more fatal accidents.

I agree thats why I try and restrict my night travel to turning on the lights and having a beer and chatting with all you nice lads out there well 90% nice anyways. 

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I agree thats why I try and restrict my night travel to turning on the lights and having a beer and chatting with all you nice lads out there well 90% nice anyways. 

Seems u chatting when its daylight also.

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I tend to be agnostic most days, but Jesus man. That is one hell of a pileup...and i bet it was mostly preventable.

Yes your right of course RIP people. It had been fairly quiet since Songkran but it seems motorway mayhem has again returned to roads here in a big way. Its also seems when venturing out on the roads we take for granted that we will arrive at our destination safely. I really felt this way back in a younger time but as each year passes it seems to diminish a persons chances. Now Demolition Derby seems more prevalent in driving. Mental skills and training have definitely not kept up with the times and taken a back seat.  

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ah yes a fact stalker. good question