PM Prayut says govt has water management plan for rainy season in place

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I wish their water management would improve where we live. Up here when they need to release water because the dam is full. they just open the gates and let it all go at one time flooding many homes and farms. It would be nice if they learned how to open the gates and let the water come out a little slower and save the flooding.

When it floods here can set your clock to when it will be certain heights and when it will reside.It only floods on saturdays. The water comes on strong from 8 pm saturday to 2 am sunday. Same every year. By noon sunday gone.Then cleanup starts. they warn us a week ahead the flood is coming on saturday. they have a week to let the water out slowly but no let it all go on Saturday evening and flood peoples homes and destroy crops  

I grew up in a semi desert that was fed water with irrigation because there was no natural water source. Water flow from dams can be controlled but it seems up here they do not know that. They could easily control the flow and stop flooding in out region but appear to chose not to care.

they want to save on wear and tear on the hinges and pullies on the flood gates. apparently there is no budget for repair and maintenance.

it really boggles me how often the country is in a state of flooding or a state of drought. at least the general knows there will be less rain this year so they can safely keep the dams topped off.

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Although you have Lom Sak in your name, it might be more helpful and informative if we knew which river and dam system you were referring to. The Pa Sak seems to meander through town, is that considered a river or a creek?

How would it be more helpful to know what river etc. I only related an ongoing way we get flooded where I live. It could be anywhere. Knowing exactly where is irrelevant. Knowing where will change nothing. It will just keep on going the same way.

I do not even know the name of the stream that floods. There are 2 dams in the area I do not know the names of them either,or which one they use to flood us.

All I was doing was telling Thai Visa members what happens in our area concerning water management.

Edited by lovelomsak

Don't buy subs dig holes in the ground and channels to feed rain into them makes a bit of sense Oh but that like the rain it is in short supply in this neck of the woods

Edited by wakeupplease

mabey I missing something but I fail to see the genius...pattaya after walking around and over construction of the last flood water solution F*** UP,the newest F*** UP,is in place...which is ..the oldest pumps on the planet ,to supersede the new underground pumps(which have never been used ) and send the flood waters out to sea at the speed of sound....or something like that...why is water such a problem in amazing thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy rain in Bangkok...

Today we can see if the announcement from the PM and the authorities (in Bangkok BMA) is just hot air or they really have done something.

I'm an optimist, so let's hope for the best.
But being here for a few years... NO

Every year the same worn out statements and problems.
Rainfall - flooding, No rain - drought.
Government assures everything possible is done - sorry we did our best.
Rinse and repeat endlessly...

>PM Prayut says govt has water management plan for rainy season in place<

> ... Gen Prayut said the government has been working on improving irrigation systems in local communities, dredging canals and waterways, building water retention areas ...

Really? And the plan would be in what place exactly?

+ 1 week = Good job as always, at least where blah-blah-xx-blah's concerned ...

>...He says however, the amount of rainwater this year will be lower than in the previous year ... <

:cheesy: - as stated by their fortune-tellers? Well, surprise: they where wrong.

>>> Phayao as of yesterday, today probably not much different as rain is continuing (pics fb, 2nd one is bus-station) :

591bd599e3ceb_PHYflooding-160517.JPG.b9572bed369d60f607bc44283727a49d.JPG

591bd5c71c838_PHYBUSflooding-160517.JPG.42b741a0d639eed8b884cc939c430969.JPG

>PM Prayut says govt has water management plan for rainy season in place > ... Gen Prayut said the government has been working on improving irrigation systems in local communities, dredging canals and waterways, building water retention areas ...  
Really? And the plan would be in what place exactly?
+ 1 week = Good job as always, at least where blah-blah-xx-blah's concerned ...

>...He says however, the amount of rainwater this year will be lower than in the previous year ...  
:cheesy: - as stated by their fortune-tellers? Well, surprise: they where wrong.

>>> Phayao as of yesterday, today probably not much different as rain is continuing (pics fb, 2nd one is bus-station) :

591bd599e3ceb_PHYflooding-160517.JPG.b9572bed369d60f607bc44283727a49d.JPG

591bd5c71c838_PHYBUSflooding-160517.JPG.42b741a0d639eed8b884cc939c430969.JPG

You, or better some Thai person, should share this picture on social networks including the quote from the PM.
Or even sent to some government organisation

I'll tell you a story about the small town I come from.
Probably ten years ago it had become more often that the centre of the town had been flooded due to several factors such as more sealed areas, changes in Agriculture and also climate or rainfall pattern.
However, after it was obvious it is not a one time phenomenon, they allocated a budget, hired an engineering company. They built an underground storage, widened and improved the pipes or canals, problem solved ever since...

In other news- 'parts of Bangkok under water for the second day running and more rain to come'. I guess his astrologer got it wrong!

Edited by Psimbo

11 minutes ago, CLW said:

I'll tell you a story about the small town I come from.
Probably ten years ago it had become more often that the centre of the town had been flooded due to several factors such as more sealed areas, changes in Agriculture and also climate or rainfall pattern.
However, after it was obvious it is not a one time phenomenon, they allocated a budget, hired an engineering company. They built an underground storage, widened and improved the pipes or canals, problem solved ever since...

Well, that's how it should be, yes.

Have to admit unusually strong downpours on Monday afternoon plus night to Tuesday but the flood-prone parts of town are well known for a long time too.

No need for underground storage in this case, it's 1 1/2 stone-trows  to the lake, just put in bigger drains - about 3/4 of the said distance has been worked on (new pavement at least) in the last ? 3 or 4 years anyway ...

And of course plenty of surface has been plastered shut during about the same time ... so all in all it's rather poor local 'planning' (if any).

Still, that 'don't worry, we have everything under control' or 'there will be less rain this year, period' etc. goes to show the real level /standard here, they're plain wrong every single year (seen nationwide i mean) and have been so for at least a decade, not only the current jokers of course ...