Ayutthaya’s World Heritage status will be kept: ministry

webfact

Ayutthaya’s World Heritage status will be kept: ministry 
By The Nation

d84dd146c5e0de3a22665419e0cdb06d.jpeg

Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry is confident about its bid to protect the World Heritage status of Ayutthaya.

Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat inspected the historic city on Sunday and expressed confidence that it would remain on the Unesco’s list of World Heritage sites. 

Unesco earlier told authorities to improve Ayutthaya or it would be stripped of its status. 

“We have already acted on the Unesco recommendations. For example, we have already improved structures within the historic zones,” Vira said. 

“We have assigned officials to study more on historical-site development. We have even restored ancient structures with help from foreign experts.” 

He added that a report on such efforts would be submitted to the Unesco meeting next month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314551

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-08

21 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

Stop the elephant rides too. Put the elephants in a reservation, and tell the loser mahouts to take a long walk off a short pier.

This.

Every "evil" industry exists because of people who support it. No amount of complaining or petitions will stop elephant carnage. There is one thing that can stop elephant abuse: Stop paying for that. It has always been like that and will always be: People vote with their dollars. If abusing elephants isn't profitable anymore, they'll stop. Simple as that.

No, you're absolutely right. And I expressly forbid any of my incoming guests who go there from doing so.

However, it's my only hope as I don't have the time, energy or disposition to attempt to learn Mandarin in order to inhibit the hordes of selfie-obsessed Chinese package tour herds from purchasing such services.