Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

4 hours ago, happyas said:

As reiterated time and time again on this thread, best listen to the guy's own account, and not take everything you read in the press verbatim. He states that he had to break suddenly because of a breaking car in front and the bike fell over. He fell to one side and his girlfriend to the other, under the trailer wheels of a passing lorry. Nothing to do with changing lanes.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, manarak said:

the motorcycle did not move into the lorry's lane.

PLEASE READ THE STORY BEFORE COMMENTATING the motorbike DID change lanes into the path of the truck who hit the motorbike from behind  MIRROR SIGNAL MANOUVER AS I PREVIOUSLY SAID THIS WAS NOT DONE !! i wish people would read things properly below is the story from thai visa 

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

5 minutes ago, nausea said:

As reiterated time and time again on this thread, best listen to the guy's own account, and not take everything you read in the press verbatim. He states that he had to break suddenly because of a breaking car in front and the bike fell over. He fell to one side and his girlfriend to the other, under the trailer wheels of a passing lorry. Nothing to do with changing lanes.

THATS WHAT HE SAYS !! HE WAS PROBABLY RIGHT UP THE BACKSIDE OF A CAR THAT WAS BREAKING IN FRONT OF HIM , give plenty of room to the car in front , there is no way that bike fell over !!

26 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

PLEASE READ THE STORY BEFORE COMMENTATING the motorbike DID change lanes into the path of the truck who hit the motorbike from behind  MIRROR SIGNAL MANOUVER AS I PREVIOUSLY SAID THIS WAS NOT DONE !! i wish people would read things properly below is the story from thai visa 

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

I think you should watch the video and listen to what the driver said. The police and the press got it wrong.

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

Jesus wept man!

You got it wrong way back at #41 and you are still wrong.

You said "i wish people would read things properly"

Practice what you preach and save making a bigger fool of yourself please.

2 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

Agree 100% with you.i had to copy and paste this to some fool who could not read it correctly and then he suggested I should go to specsavers. :cheesy:

I'm shocked at comments about bike training! Seriously

Bike training will never stop the insane tailgating and deaths. The lack of proper engineered roads and systems is the real issue. If you put all the scooter drivers thru a monster training program and they attempted to follow the training the death rate would go through the roof. INFRASTRUCTURE is step one. Education and training step two. Regulatory compliance thru policing is step 3. When's the last time anyone has made a simple trip to a 7/11 and come up to a T intersection and can't see left or right because of a turn, hill, trees, signs, chicken wagon etc. 

Respectfully lets address 

7 hours ago, connda said:

I could get on the bandwagon that is harping, "He should have looked over his shoulder and in the mirror before changing lanes."  

We don't know what was going though his head at the time, nor what may have distracted him.  I'm saying this as someone who has about 70Km worth of driving experience, most of which is here in the Land of Smiles (or Land of the Second-most-dangerous-roads-in-the-world).  And I'm really, really aware that all it takes is one screw-up to get killed.  Then I think of all the screw-ups I've made in the past, and most of those screw up were due to being distracted by something else.  Driving down the road coming up to an intersection, see someone out of the corner of your eye moving at high speed from your left at the same time you see a pothole in front of you.  You evade the pothole while watching the actions of the driver coming from the left - and forget to look in your rear-view mirror.  You think about it about a hour later and want to throw up because, if there was a car coming from behind you if you swerved right or a motorcycle passing you on the left if you swerved left........  Or you're on a big bike and see an SUV or Truck or Double-decker-Bus-of-Death bearing down on you and move further to the left to evade what is behind you and miss the moron who just pulled out from the left hand soi without looking, not even a head turn.................  This is why so many people get killed here, the majority on motorcycles.  One screw up while driving on roads that looks like something out of a Mario Brothers arcade game happen in 3-D all around you, and you're toast.  

For all the hyper-vigilance that you have to have while driving a motorcycle on Thai roads, it's still amazing more people aren't killed.  One distraction.  One screw-up.  One mis-judgement.  Done!

About 3 years ago I was riding my 200cc Honda Phantom in Nakhon Sawan. I had stopped at the lights which were red and I was #1 at the white line.

The lights turned green in our favour so I rode off. Out of the corner of my left eye I saw a pick up run the red and turn right in front of me. I turned right as hard as possible and banged the throttle wide but the Phantom has the acceleration of a centipede with 37 broken legs.

The pickup hit me under the saddle where my ass was just missing my left leg (fortunately) throwing the bike to the right and me like an ejector seat off the bike up and over to the right also. The bike bounced off the road onto the left side and the rear crash bars took the impact. I clearly remember thinking that this will hurt me. It DID.

I was wearing gloves and a helmet which certainly helped but I bent my right wrist a bit, had a few scrapes on me but overall I was pretty much OK .

The pickup finished its turn and stopped a few metres up the road. It was driven by a little old lady with her sister in the front seat and a grandchild standing between them (truly).

Fortunately for me there was a police box on the junction and a cop outside saw it happen so it definitely wasn't my fault. He helped me clear the junction  and bend the handlebars straighter so the bike was rideable and somebody in the box called the police station wh sent a captain down to take me and the little old lady to the cop shop.

In the end there was a conversation between me, my wife, the cops, the little old ladies and the hordes of their family that arrived  and they paid up in cash and I rode my bike 125km home, left hand down and back and right hand up and forward having phoned my wife and told her that I thought I could make it but I would call for help if I needed it.

The really good news was that I had dropped my farang mate off 10 minutes before the crash or he may have had his leg smashed or with the extra weight of him on board it may have been my leg smashed.

You don't even have to do anything foolish but can still be involved in a accident.

I am 73 in a couple of weeks and I still ride a bike but I am NEVER the first one over the line any more.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

About 3 years ago I was riding my 200cc Honda Phantom in Nakhon Sawan. I had stopped at the lights which were red and I was #1 at the white line.

The lights turned green in our favour so I rode off. Out of the corner of my left eye I saw a pick up run the red and turn right in front of me. I turned right as hard as possible and banged the throttle wide but the Phantom has the acceleration of a centipede with 37 broken legs.

The pickup hit me under the saddle where my ass was just missing my left leg (fortunately) throwing the bike to the right and me like an ejector seat off the bike up and over to the right also. The bike bounced off the road onto the left side and the rear crash bars took the impact. I clearly remember thinking that this will hurt me. It DID.

I was wearing gloves and a helmet which certainly helped but I bent my right wrist a bit, had a few scrapes on me but overall I was pretty much OK .

The pickup finished its turn and stopped a few metres up the road. It was driven by a little old lady with her sister in the front seat and a grandchild standing between them (truly).

Fortunately for me there was a police box on the junction and a cop outside saw it happen so it definitely wasn't my fault. He helped me clear the junction  and bend the handlebars straighter so the bike was rideable and somebody in the box called the police station wh sent a captain down to take me and the little old lady to the cop shop.

In the end there was a conversation between me, my wife, the cops, the little old ladies and the hordes of their family that arrived  and they paid up in cash and I rode my bike 125km home, left hand down and back and right hand up and forward having phoned my wife and told her that I thought I could make it but I would call for help if I needed it.

The really good news was that I had dropped my farang mate off 10 minutes before the crash or he may have had his leg smashed or with the extra weight of him on board it may have been my leg smashed.

You don't even have to do anything foolish but can still be involved in a accident.

I am 73 in a couple of weeks and I still ride a bike but I am NEVER the first one over the line any more.

You were very lucky. Had a motorhome get through my defenses once in Oakland, CA at an intersection. He was coming right at me and ran the red light in a left turn lane so it was difficult to predict. I was hanging back from my red light and still rolling when it turned green. His excuse: I was going too fast to stop! 

One should not enter an intersection unless one owns it. That is it is literally impossible for someone else to hit you - there aren't any moving vehicles that could enter the intersection. Of course, this is true for entering lanes as well.

I see pedestrians all the time standing on the median waiting for the light to turn green as they've walked across the intersection against the red to save a few seconds walking but risking getting hit by an out-of-control vehicle.

19 hours ago, manarak said:

I think you should watch the video and listen to what the driver said. The police and the press got it wrong.

I dont believe his story it does not sound right if the bike is wobbling then you would both fall in the same direction , and not to know where your girlfriend is after hearing the sound of you both hitting the road its not possible , here is what i think happened , he changed lanes WITHOUT looking in the mirror he therefore was at fault and did not see the lorry behind and the lorry then hit the bike from behind ( and the lorry driver told thats what happened ) because it hit the bike from behind the pregnant girlfriend fell in the opposite direction to him and was tragically killed , he is now not admiting it was his fault for not looking in the mirror , i hope the lorry driver speaks on here then we will know the truth

18 hours ago, happyas said:

Jesus wept man!

You got it wrong way back at #41 and you are still wrong.

You said "i wish people would read things properly"

Practice what you preach and save making a bigger fool of yourself please.

i would like to hear the lorry drivers story , the press got that from the lorry driver and its different to his story i dont believe his story 

and think he caused the accident by not looking in his mirror and is now denying it 

3 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

I dont believe his story it does not sound right if the bike is wobbling then you would both fall in the same direction , and not to know where your girlfriend is after hearing the sound of you both hitting the road its not possible , here is what i think happened , he changed lanes WITHOUT looking in the mirror he therefore was at fault and did not see the lorry behind and the lorry then hit the bike from behind ( and the lorry driver told thats what happened ) because it hit the bike from behind the pregnant girlfriend fell in the opposite direction to him and was tragically killed , he is now not admiting it was his fault for not looking in the mirror , i hope the lorry driver speaks on here then we will know the truth

Unless you were there you, like me and everybody else who has posted, have NO idea of what happened.

It does not matter what you believe or think simply because you have NO idea at all what caused the accident.

If you have no idea why do you speculate?

A woman and her unborn baby died in an accident that may or may not have been preventable. I don't speculate on things that I know nothing about because other people can read these posts including the relatives and that will upset them even more.

17 hours ago, catman20 said:

Agree 100% with you.i had to copy and paste this to some fool who could not read it correctly and then he suggested I should go to specsavers. :cheesy:

i dont believe the motorbike driver and think he did not look in his mirror when changing lanes this caused the lorry to hit the bike from behind (as the lorry driver told the press this ) this then caused the girlfriend to fall in an opposite  direction to him and to not know where your girlfriend is after the sound of you both hitting the road is riddiculous she would have made sure she fell in same direction with her been pregnant unless the lorry hit her from behind and she had no control over it thats what i believe happened and he wont admit it as he should have looked in the mirror REMEMBER ALWAYS  mirror , signal , manouver !!

10 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Unless you were there you, like me and everybody else who has posted, have NO idea of what happened.

It does not matter what you believe or think simply because you have NO idea at all what caused the accident.

If you have no idea why do you speculate?

A woman and her unborn baby died in an accident that may or may not have been preventable. I don't speculate on things that I know nothing about because other people can read these posts including the relatives and that will upset them even more.

7 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

i would like to hear the lorry drivers story , the press got that from the lorry driver and its different to his story i dont believe his story 

and think he caused the accident by not looking in his mirror and is now denying it 

Do you really believe that the truck driver (who is Thai and perhaps speaks no English) is going to come on to TVF and make a full confession just because YOU don't believe him? You don't seem to believe ANYBODY about this accident but you keep pushing for answers that YOU will accept. It doesn't matter if the answers YOU get are correct or not as long as they agree with YOU.

Just let it go.

It was an accident, it happened, and there is nothing anybody can do to bring the lady and her unborn child back.

Of course two people on one bike can fall different ways.

When it happened, if the pillion rider was not holding on to anything, they could be thrown one way by momentum and the driver still holding on to the handle-bars will fall the other way, the same way as the motorbike fell.

Very simple physics.

18 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

In both cases he is to blame. So why make up a story that puts the blame on him anyway.

You may not believe it, but the story is heartfelt and makes sense.

15 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

i dont believe the motorbike driver and think he did not look in his mirror when changing lanes this caused the lorry to hit the bike from behind (as the lorry driver told the press this ) this then caused the girlfriend to fall in an opposite  direction to him and to not know where your girlfriend is after the sound of you both hitting the road is riddiculous she would have made sure she fell in same direction with her been pregnant unless the lorry hit her from behind and she had no control over it thats what i believe happened and he wont admit it as he should have looked in the mirror REMEMBER ALWAYS  mirror , signal , manouver !!

Not sure if you are just another troll of if you simply don't have a clue.

Here is a photo of the motorbike that was involved.

Can you honestly claim that it looks as though it was hit by a speeding truck?

It doesn't because it wasn't hit.

End of.               pkt1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In both cases he is to blame. So why make up a story that puts the blame on him anyway.

You may not believe it, but the story is heartfelt and makes sense.

Sorry to disagree but in the video he is not blaming himself , so why make up a story ? its so 

he cannot be blamed for the tragic events in england he could have been jailed for dangerous driving 

and causing the death of someone , i would like to hear the lorry drivers accounts in fact i dont need to as he spoke to the press thats why you have 2 different storys and too be honest i would understand why the relatives are mad at him if they found out MIRROR AND ALSO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER ,SIGNAL, MANOUVER 

1 minute ago, hottrader77 said:

Sorry to disagree but in the video he is not blaming himself , so why make up a story ? its so 

he cannot be blamed for the tragic events in england he could have been jailed for dangerous driving 

and causing the death of someone , i would like to hear the lorry drivers accounts in fact i dont need to as he spoke to the press thats why you have 2 different storys and too be honest i would understand why the relatives are mad at him if they found out MIRROR AND ALSO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER ,SIGNAL, MANOUVER 

Of course he is blaming himself in the video. He had to brake, causing them to slid. That makes it 100% his fault.

I'm out of here, no point in this with somebody who is unwilling to accept what is very, very obvious and factual.

1 minute ago, hottrader77 said:

IT WAS HIT AT THE BACK ONLY THATS WHY IT LOOKS LIKE IT DOES !! ITS YOU THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE !! THE LORRY DRIVER TOLD THE PRESS THE REAL STORY , the motorbike driver did not look in his mirror when changing lanes forget what he said on video thats to stop anyone blaming him !! he should admit the truth 

5555555, you soooooo funny.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Of course he is blaming himself in the video. He had to brake, causing them to slid. That makes it 100% his fault.

I'm out of here, no point in this with somebody who is unwilling to accept what is very, very obvious and factual.

Obviously he is indeed a  troll without a clue.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

HE said if you heard he had to brake because of a car suddenly braking in front of him that means he is blaming the car driver in front 

use your scrupples so he is still not admitting it , and that is not what happened the lorry driver has told you he hit the motorbike from behind he is denying this to save his own skin !

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

5555555, you soooooo funny.

hope that post is in support of what im saying thanks if it is if not its not funny that a girl dies on the back of a bike driven by 

a careless driver who does not admit responsibility 

5 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

hope that post is in support of what im saying thanks if it is if not its not funny that a girl dies on the back of a bike driven by 

a careless driver who does not admit responsibility 

No, I find that your assertion that the bike was hit from the back very, very funny. You must be blind looking at that picture of the bike.

YOU are funny, not the accident as I clearly stated. Problem with reading comprehension as well as blind?

16 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

IT WAS HIT AT THE BACK ONLY THATS WHY IT LOOKS LIKE IT DOES !! ITS YOU THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE !! THE LORRY DRIVER TOLD THE PRESS THE REAL STORY , the motorbike driver did not look in his mirror when changing lanes forget what he said on video thats to stop anyone blaming him !! he should admit the truth 

OK, just to humour you a tad, please show me the article/link where the truckdriver told the press that he did in fact hit the motorbike.

I tried to view the street cam video - but now it's not available.

I just wanted to make sure that I did not see the truck hitting the bike. As far as I remember the truck was always in the outside 3rd lane, did not change lanes, the bike was behind a pick-up in the 2nd land as cars parked along inside lane.

The pick-up in front of the bike slowed or stopped, the bike wobbled and fell to the inside just as the truck was passing, the lady fell to the outside and it's clear that the trailer ran over the lady.  The truck did not run into the bike and can be clearly seen with the bike photo - no real damage to the bike.

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

I find the lorry and tour bus drivers have a ''motor way'' attitude. ''move over or get run over''..they should not be allowed into urban areas .period.

Time = Money for many Thai motor vehicle drivers, especially motorbike taxis. The food delivery motorbikes stand out in my mind as the worst.

Archived