Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pregnant British woman killed in Phuket hit and run crash

webfact

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Read the facts !  He did not change lanes, just had to break quickly and they fell off. This is what he told us in his belated video

Maybe you will change your tune now. I watched a video in which the rider says they did not change lanes but skidded following having to brake hard to avoid the vehicle in front that had also had to brake hard. Well, that's an update and it adds something new to the story, assuming it to be true. Now you are going to accuse me of saying the rider is a liar, aren't you! No, that is what he remembers and it has to be proven to be true. It it is true, then fine, that will make it a fact.

As for the rest, I have not seen much comment since that video was uploaded/linked to but I did not see anyone accusing this rider of negligence, of speeding, of driving without due care and attention. You know, what's sauce for the goose. I did read that someone suggested the Thai driver could have been drunk or high on something ... that's malicious don't you think?

Since the bike didn't, apparently, change lanes then we conclude either that the lorry was in their lane or the poor lady slid into his lane. Now what? Which fact is the fact or is it a bit of both?

Was this still an accident? Are you in possession of all the facts? Are you satisfied that you have cracked the case? 

6 minutes ago, todlad said:

Maybe you will change your tune now. I watched a video in which the rider says they did not change lanes but skidded following having to brake hard to avoid the vehicle in front that had also had to brake hard. Well, that's an update and it adds something new to the story, assuming it to be true. Now you are going to accuse me of saying the rider is a liar, aren't you! No, that is what he remembers and it has to be proven to be true. It it is true, then fine, that will make it a fact.

As for the rest, I have not seen much comment since that video was uploaded/linked to but I did not see anyone accusing this rider of negligence, of speeding, of driving without due care and attention. You know, what's sauce for the goose. I did read that someone suggested the Thai driver could have been drunk or high on something ... that's malicious don't you think?

Since the bike didn't, apparently, change lanes then we conclude either that the lorry was in their lane or the poor lady slid into his lane. Now what? Which fact is the fact or is it a bit of both?

Was this still an accident? Are you in possession of all the facts? Are you satisfied that you have cracked the case? 

I rather think that it was  purely an accident with at this point no proven blame. However the truck driver should have stopped. Something which we all know does not often happen. Bus drivers tend to run away after an accident, trucks keep going.

At the end of the day bickering online about this won't bring back the poor girl. I never comment on threads that refer to deaths but in this case I will.

Don't ride motorbikes or even take motorbike taxis in Thailand. It's not safe. I've been here over 13 years and every week or even every day a foreign tourist or resident gets killed on the roads. Everyone blames reckless Thai drivers for this but If you are in a car your chances of surviving are much improved.

Its very easy to rent a car here. I always see groups of tourists renting motorbikes. Why not just chip in and rent a car together. It's more comfortable and a hundred times safer.

Condolences to the deceased but please let everyone else learn from this tragic accident. 

PS. The deceased's partner may also be on this thread at some time so please remember that a young lady lost her life and be respectful.

17 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

I rather think that it was  purely an accident with at this point no proven blame. However the truck driver should have stopped. Something which we all know does not often happen. Bus drivers tend to run away after an accident, trucks keep going.

The truckdriver who may or may not have known his truck/trailer ran over the lady has presented himself to police now.

22 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

A tragedy, and truly awful for the partner, wife and baby lost in a second.

However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring.  If he had done this he would have probably seen the vehicle behind him (it's not called a lifesaver for nothing).  People shouldn't be able to ride bikes without proper training.

"However, if he was changing lanes, he should have performed a shoulder check before manoeuvring" ......This is an absolute MUST when riding a bike in Thailand. Always do a shoulder check whenever you move left or right, changing lanes or not. It will save your life.

32 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

This failure to stop is regional disease isnt it? Saw an accident on the highway from KL to the airport. Taxi driver, clearly in some distress, hobbling across both major carriageways as he made his escape.

2 hours ago, oldsailor35 said:

Stop mouthing crap. You have no idea of how the guy was driving his m/c.

I do have a very good idea how he was riding his bike cos his partner is dead. If he had look he would not have moved  into the path of a 18 wheeled truck. I suggest you take a driving test before you start mouthing your crap.:smile:

20 minutes ago, todlad said:

This failure to stop is regional disease isnt it? Saw an accident on the highway from KL to the airport. Taxi driver, clearly in some distress, hobbling across both major carriageways as he made his escape.

There's a very good reason for this.

He may well be assaulted and killed by the locals. It's called mob justice.

16 minutes ago, catman20 said:

I do have a very good idea how he was riding his bike cos his partner is dead. If he had look he would not have moved  into the path of a 18 wheeled truck. I suggest you take a driving test before you start mouthing your crap.:smile:

And i suggest that you go to Specsavers then you will be able to read and perhaps understand that he did NOT move into the lane of the truck. It was an accident, they fell off  the m/c, she went under the truck wheels. However the truck kept going. I do see now that the truck driver has presented himself to the police, probably having waited for the yaa baa or lao kao  to wear off. This proves that he knew that he had run over her.  I have driven many things from APC's to Road Trains all with a licence, even held a pilots licence until 20 yrs ago. So don't need a driving test, got licences to drive both m/c and car here in Thailand. So do stop being so childish.

16 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There's a very good reason for this.

He may well be assaulted and killed by the locals. It's called mob justice.

What for killing a Farang !     Get real 

22 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

PHUKET: -- A pregnant British woman was killed in a hit and run with an 18-wheeled-truck on Thepkrasattri road in Thalang at noon today.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

“The woman was then run over by the truck and sustained fatal head injuries,” he added.

Where does it say that she was not the driver? 

bbc.com 08/05/2017

2 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Where did the lorry driver think the bike was going to go to avoid the parked car? How about looking ahead and anticipating traffic moves. Oh, sorry TIT.

Oh dear, another person that hasn't read the thread, or, watched the video.

There was NO parked car and there was NO lane change.

7 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

And i suggest that you go to Specsavers then you will be able to read and perhaps understand that he did NOT move into the lane of the truck. It was an accident, they fell off  the m/c, she went under the truck wheels. However the truck kept going. I do see now that the truck driver has presented himself to the police, probably having waited for the yaa baa or lao kao  to wear off. This proves that he knew that he had run over her.  I have driven many things from APC's to Road Trains all with a licence, even held a pilots licence until 20 yrs ago. So don't need a driving test, got licences to drive both m/c and car here in Thailand. So do stop being so childish.

“She was riding on a motorbike with her partner, who did not sustain injuries. While driving, they changed lanes to avoid a vehicle parked on the left side of the road (the motorbike lane). As they did this, the truck hit their bike from behind,” said Lt Col Sanit Nukhong of Thalang Police.

This says nothing about a prire accident. I suggest your the one who needs to visit to spec savers. However do do agree with one thing you said.stop being so childish.

7 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Oh dear, another person that hasn't read the thread, or, watched the video.

There was NO parked car and there was NO lane change.

Are you saying the Lt Col is a liar?

1 minute ago, hugh2121 said:

You need to watch the video where the actual driver says that the press got it wrong.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, Briggsy said:

She was not the driver. Please read before posting. Thank you.

It could have saved her life if she had looked and warned her Driver of the bike ,,,But he should have looked and used a  direction indicator (blinker light) before changing lane.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

This says nothing about a prire accident. I suggest your the one who needs to visit to spec savers. However do do agree with one thing you said.stop being so childish.

Open mouth insert foot.

Well done.

Forum Members .... please don't post replies to older posts. Watch the video and make you own judgement ...

The m/bike was not in the m/bike lane. The m/bike was in the middle lane following a pick-up.

The m/bike 'fell over' through poor driving skills (in my opinion).

The 18 wheeler  would have known nothing about it as it looks  like the trailer ran over the fallen lady.

It's a tragedy and a road accident.

Archived