And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

OAKHAM now i want to come with you,i dont have my rods anymore but the wife would definately buy me new ones just to get me out of the house.my beloved dog would love the walks round rutland water,i can just picture him sat in the boat with me drifting up the north arm.

taff.

Yes, It's a pretty neck of the woods around there. Quite rural, but Oakham is a small town with all the essentials. Rutland water is a ten-minute bike ride away. The wife loves it, as she does all rural areas in England.

But It's not that far from Birmingham, Leicester, Peterborough, Stamford, and a few more slightly further afield. I shall be certainly be taking advantage of the free bus services if I can't get my driving licence back.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to have a generally positive thread without the obligatory tat.

Kudos to the op. Many are in the same boat so don’t think you’re alone in this. I believe it is the right time to ship out, esp with sons/daughters and if money is an issue.

On top of being expensive now (not just currency woes), I also think Thailand has lost its way and that je ne sais quoi. I still love the place/people and hope they don’t completely un-unique themselves, but find it harder to remain permanently. As a singleton, perhaps yes, but with kids, it ain’t ideal bringing them up in the current tenuous environment. 

Moving family back is a huge bonus regards education. Most foreign/dual national kids get on really well in UK school and open racism/bullying is minimal and firmly put down nowadays. Not that there would be much of that in middle England anyway. The "just wait until you see how the white Anglo saxons with their union jacks flying outside their semi detached houses, treat your Thai wife and daughter" is not the norm by a long shot, even for those unfortunate enough to be stuck in some godforsaken northern council estate.

Have had nothing but good things said with my other half in the UK, but then again I don’t associate with meat heads (much) and am not in a downbeat area.

I don’t get people’s’ disdain for the multiple wives things either. I couldn’t (after number one, that’s it), but at least they’ve played a hand and ante’d up again, where many would remain in abject misery with the same old battle-axe.

The few baulking at all this are probably upset over the shattering of their blinkered view of Muang Thai. Many are living in lalaland devoid of proper civilisation and cannot/refuse to see the bigger picture. Fair enough, I’ve been close, but can appreciate both sides of the coin. It’s clear from the op he isn’t blaming Thailand/Thais and still has respect for the place, while the financial issue is about an unrelated foreign investment going south. But people do what they do and churn things around to fit their own field of view I guess.

The UK ain’t so bad. Yep, cringe-worthy PC-ness, taxes, services and accommodation prices suck, but if you’re earning, it’s all relative. Buying groceries always blows me away because there is just so much choice and real value for money. A good secondhand car can be had for 40-80k baht.

Might be tough getting on that plane - esp leaving family - but believe you’re making the right choice. Get stuck into something, keep writing etc, don't languish. Regards Amazon, some success can be attributed to having low-comp-high-searched-for keywords within the title. :wink:

All the best, Mobi. :thumbsup:

All the best with your move back to the UK, Mobi.

Given the levels of intelligence and creativity you've displayed here on ThaiVisa and elsewhere, I'm sure it won't be long after you've returned to the UK you'll be generating some form of income independently again, outside what will be offered by the state. It could well be a good opportunity to stand back, rebuild and plan the next steps.

I remember feeling pretty jaded by Thailand when I initially returned the UK. In hindsight, although many of the gripes were legitimate, I would be happy to return to live - at least on a part-time basis. Commitments here in the UK currently make this difficult, but who knows what will happen down the road...

Hope you can keep us updated with how you're getting on, whether it be on the forum or via your blog. Best wishes.

3 hours ago, Mobi said:

Yes, It's a pretty neck of the woods around there. Quite rural, but Oakham is a small town with all the essentials. Rutland water is a ten-minute bike ride away. The wife loves it, as she does all rural areas in England.

But It's not that far from Birmingham, Leicester, Peterborough, Stamford, and a few more slightly further afield. I shall be certainly be taking advantage of the free bus services if I can't get my driving licence back.

Don't forget Rutland Weekend Television and The Rutles.

A number of off topic posts that are now hijacking the topic, have been removed, the topic is not about prices of food and beer in Birmingham, Canada or Copenhagen.  Topic title is:

And it's goodbye from Mobi…

On May 9, 2017 at 1:03 AM, swissie said:

"Nanny state" or not, without an initial "private-address" (relatives or friends), to take root again, = a nightmare scenario. "Lost Sons" returning from a tropical paradise will realize that nobody has been waiting for them, especially if their wallet is as thin as their future prospects in "the old country" upon their return.

exactly. in the usa returning without "credit" is a significant problem if you have been gone a long time. credit is king, not cash like in thailand.

getting an apartment, a job in any field, even cable tv is quite difficult without the credit history and score of paying bills over time. everybody looks at your credit history and extends services based on that, they are not interested in bank balances etc.

with a gap your looking at low class services like inability to rent a place, check cashing scams, anything can be done with big assets of course, but your still looking at big cash deposits for everything and the kind of hassles you dont get in thailand.

just this one point is worse then any visa hassle you may have here.

theres no winning. your just trading one basket of hassles for another. changing the topic of complaint if you will. oh well thats life.

Edited by JimCrane

6 hours ago, JimCrane said:

exactly. in the usa returning without "credit" is a significant problem if you have been gone a long time. credit is king, not cash like in thailand.

getting an apartment, a job in any field, even cable tv is quite difficult without the credit history and score of paying bills over time. everybody looks at your credit history and extends services based on that, they are not interested in bank balances etc.

with a gap your looking at low class services like inability to rent a place, check cashing scams, anything can be done with big assets of course, but your still looking at big cash deposits for everything and the kind of hassles you dont get in thailand.

theres no winning. your just trading one basket of hassles for another. changing the topic of complaint if you will. oh well thats life.

We aren't talking about the USA.

OP can get a basic bank account without an overdraft facility.  https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

I'm sure he has most things lined up already.

Mobi, a person of your stature is what most ex pats here look up to, something to cling to, people like yourself give a meaning to being here, when you have gone people figure on their own future here too, wondering ,and it ain't too bright.

I think it was medical more than anything that decided on you leaving but  most here would be 60 to 70 plus looking  wandering,especially the about the blood sucking locusts at these damned hospitals waiting to scam you

What you get here in Thailand is instant companionship with Thai lady, something lacking in home country, companionship that is.

Sorry to see you go Mobi, did try and see you in your bar, but timings were wrong.

all the best mobi,hope your dogs are OK,  I'm here because of them too

19 hours ago, dazzz said:

Best post of the day . A lot of farangs (living here)think its cheap because their money goes further but the bare fact is they have nothing to pay for . No sewage , no clean water, no council tax ,no fire brigade , no proper street lighting , no proper roads ,no  bbc licence fee , no rubbish collection , no household insurance , for me a massive difference no car tax , mot etc , no heating bills . If i did not have to pay for all that uk would be a lot cheaper than thailand .
 For thais its even worse .You cannot say how cheap a country is by how much money you have but the spending power of the people .In uk minimum wage  about 3000 baht a day . Thailand 300 baht a day . Beer uk 50 baht same as thailand  . One days wage uk 60 beers , thai 6 beers . Tv uk same as thai 10,000 baht. work for 4 days to buy a tv in uk work for a month to buy a tv in thai .

My moibile in thailand 13,000 baht ,in uk 7000 baht . My camera in thai 12,000baht in uk 8,000.
 It is not cheap it has to be one of the most expensive places in the world for the local population

come on dazzz i dont know where you are living but i pay most of what you state as nothing.

clean water 27bht.a cubic mtr. to shower.

bottled drinking water.

community charge 1,500bht.month.

roads around the mooban you have to pay for any maintinence.

electricity costs more than the uk.

rubbish we have to pay for collection plus streets cleaned.

licence for tv.you pay through the [eg.true]

household insurance YES.

car tax yes,servicing yes.car insurance.

and the bigest cost of the lot,NOT HEATING but AIR CON.electric bills are between 2,500-3000bht.A MONTH.

you forgot medical cover and medications.vet bills.i could go on and on.

22 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Exactly... so much of the negative comment on the changes in Thailand center on the changes in Pataya & Phuket...and the other tourist hot spots...  yes.. the rest of the country is undergoing rapid change as well  .. but up north life for a retired person is still good.. property is not so expensive and the people are friendly. With cheap air travel Bangkok is only an hour away..  and most big towns have good supermarkets these days... food is still cheap in the local markets too..  The climate is better too.. not a humid as Bangkok nor quite as much rain..  Traffic in major centers like Khon Kaen is getting worse but nowhere near as bad a Pataya, Bangkok & Phuket..  I can't speak for Chiang Mai as I haven't lived there... but apart from the smoke in the burning off season I've enjoyed my visits there..

Exactly what I was trying to point out, if not to the poster that chose to be offended, but to others that may be reading this thread. It's a forum for all, not just the ones posting.

As for C M, it is a place to visit, not live, IMO, but there are many that don't want or need any semblance of a nightlife ( Loi Kroh Rd doesn't qualify as nightlife to any that have stayed in Pattaya ). So good luck to them.

20 hours ago, dazzz said:

Best post of the day . A lot of farangs (living here)think its cheap because their money goes further but the bare fact is they have nothing to pay for . No sewage , no clean water, no council tax ,no fire brigade , no proper street lighting , no proper roads ,no  bbc licence fee , no rubbish collection , no household insurance , for me a massive difference no car tax , mot etc , no heating bills . If i did not have to pay for all that uk would be a lot cheaper than thailand .
 For thais its even worse .You cannot say how cheap a country is by how much money you have but the spending power of the people .In uk minimum wage  about 3000 baht a day . Thailand 300 baht a day . Beer uk 50 baht same as thailand  . One days wage uk 60 beers , thai 6 beers . Tv uk same as thai 10,000 baht. work for 4 days to buy a tv in uk work for a month to buy a tv in thai .

My moibile in thailand 13,000 baht ,in uk 7000 baht . My camera in thai 12,000baht in uk 8,000.
 It is not cheap it has to be one of the most expensive places in the world for the local population

No proper roads, no clean water, no rubbish collection  !!!  crikey where do you live ? or perhaps you've never been to Thailand and have you seen the roads in England ?

2 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

No proper roads, no clean water, no rubbish collection  !!!  crikey where do you live ? or perhaps you've never been to Thailand and have you seen the roads in England ?

I don't know where he lives, but that pretty much describes the suburbs of Lamphun where I used to live, except for the rubbish collection, which we did have. Roads were disintegrating because they didn't use enough cement in the concrete, couldn't drink the tap water.

In the village no rubbish collection, of course.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know where he lives, but that pretty much describes the suburbs of Lamphun where I used to live, except for the rubbish collection, which we did have. Roads were disintegrating because they didn't use enough cement in the concrete, couldn't drink the tap water.

In the village no rubbish collection, of course.

So did you have rubbish collection or not  ?

Anyway, just as well you moved then and you wouldn't catch me living in a place like that :biggrin:

Edited by alfieconn

2 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So did you have rubbish collection or not  ?

Anyway, just as well you moved then and you wouldn't catch me living in a place like that :biggrin:

Had rubbish collection in Lamphun suburbs, did NOT have it in the village.

Believe me, I never wanted to live there either. Only did so to be with my wife. Now I can live in Pattaya or on the beach. Much better.

33 minutes ago, meatboy said:

come on dazzz i dont know where you are living but i pay most of what you state as nothing.

clean water 27bht.a cubic mtr. to shower.

bottled drinking water.

community charge 1,500bht.month.

roads around the mooban you have to pay for any maintinence.

electricity costs more than the uk.

rubbish we have to pay for collection plus streets cleaned.

licence for tv.you pay through the [eg.true]

household insurance YES.

car tax yes,servicing yes.car insurance.

and the bigest cost of the lot,NOT HEATING but AIR CON.electric bills are between 2,500-3000bht.A MONTH.

you forgot medical cover and medications.vet bills.i could go on and on.

we obviously live different lifestyles. I live in thailand and not farangland
No water bill i have an hitachi pump , cost 7000 baht and has worked without a problem for 10 yrs.
No community charge as i live in a village and not an ants nest (my wifes name for housing estates:)
No maintainance for roads ?
 Never knew anyone had housing insurance in thailand ?
Rubbish 10baht a month .
 Living in thiland i use little aircon and my total bill for 4 people for a month is 1200 -2000
 no medical cover . If i am sick i would go to uk and i have accident cover from a uk policy .
 I have  a 600c daihatsu tuk tuk , no tax , no insurance .
 so i have no real living costs except electric which is more expensive but i use a lot less . Have 1 aircon in bedroom , use about 2/3 hours a day in the summer and food which if you by things like any type of farang food it is a lot more expensive in thai . Box of 24 stella 500mil beers in uk 16 pound in tesco , works out about 30 baht a can  for decent beer , pay 60 baht here for rubbish beer . Tesco in thai is a rip off and sometimes is more expensive than local shops.
UK
most of my money when i was in uk was taken up by crazy things like
?  tv licence
60 pound a month council tax
80 pound a month rates

60 pound a month electric
80 pound a month gas
 40 pound a month car insurance
160 pound a month petrol
40 pound a month house insurance
20 pound a month boiler insurance
 And there are probably a few more i forgot but all that is about 540 pounds or 25,000 baht a month and that is living by myself .If i could live in uk and only pay for electric i would be far better of thjere financially . I would still live here as i have a good life with a good family but i know it is not cheap

35 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

..Here in Kalasin we have a rubbish truck drive past our place every day of the week.. the town water is good... we get bottled water delivered for drinking.. very cheap..  the roads are good.. we pay about 350 Bt a month for water.. 5 or 600Bt for electricity (no aircon).. the Tessoban  made a nice paved 4k  bike track around the lake across the road from us.. our property tax is 20Bt a year! ..occasionally a guy comes by on a bike to collect 10Bt for rubbish collection...  :-)

9 hours ago, JimCrane said:

You are right about the credit . When i was in uk i only ever borrowed for my mortgage .I lived alone and had a good wage so never needed a credit card or a loan . My daughter had no money but lots of cards and a high limit . When i came to thailand first for 3 months i wanted a cc  for emergencies but it was really hard to get one and the highest limit i could get at the time was 2500 pound because i had no credit history

4 minutes ago, dazzz said:

we obviously live different lifestyles. I live in thailand and not farangland
No water bill i have an hitachi pump , cost 7000 baht and has worked without a problem for 10 yrs.
No community charge as i live in a village and not an ants nest (my wifes name for housing estates:)
No maintainance for roads ?
 Never knew anyone had housing insurance in thailand ?
Rubbish 10baht a month .
 Living in thiland i use little aircon and my total bill for 4 people for a month is 1200 -2000
 no medical cover . If i am sick i would go to uk and i have accident cover from a uk policy .
 I have  a 600c daihatsu tuk tuk , no tax , no insurance .
 so i have no real living costs except electric which is more expensive but i use a lot less . Have 1 aircon in bedroom , use about 2/3 hours a day in the summer and food which if you by things like any type of farang food it is a lot more expensive in thai . Box of 24 stella 500mil beers in uk 16 pound in tesco , works out about 30 baht a can  for decent beer , pay 60 baht here for rubbish beer . Tesco in thai is a rip off and sometimes is more expensive than local shops.
UK
most of my money when i was in uk was taken up by crazy things like
?  tv licence
60 pound a month council tax
80 pound a month rates

60 pound a month electric
80 pound a month gas
 40 pound a month car insurance
160 pound a month petrol
40 pound a month house insurance
20 pound a month boiler insurance
 And there are probably a few more i forgot but all that is about 540 pounds or 25,000 baht a month and that is living by myself .If i could live in uk and only pay for electric i would be far better of thjere financially . I would still live here as i have a good life with a good family but i know it is not cheap

But you can't so therefore it is not cheaper :cheesy:

43 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I live where the thais live  but not where you live. I have never seen drinking water come out of a tap ?The water from our village gets pumped straight from the lake through some filters and comes out sometimes looking a bit brown . Ok for shower. You have to tell me where you get clean water in thailand . my village only had concrete roads 3 yrs ago and a lot of the villages around me still have dirt roads . Roads in england fantastic compared to anywhere outside of bangkok
 crikey where do you live ?

I don't get it Mobi.  

You write well and thus must possess some intelligence.  You demonstrate creativity and business acumen and claim to have generated millions during your previous stint back in Blighty.  One must also assume, having lived much of your life in SEA, that your skills at identifying and protecting yourself from scams, and other risks to your capital, are well developed.

But you then you claim to have lost a significant portion of you wealth in 2008.

Why did you have a significant portion of your wealth exposed to equities markets without having trailing stops in place?

Secondly, you invested 95% of your remaining capital in the LM fund.  Why didn't you first read the prospectus?  Despite the fact that the fund was (fraudulently) promoted as being backed by bricks and mortar, a quick glance through the prospectus would have revealed that banks held first mortgages over the bulk of the property portfolio with investor funds then used to make up the balance for purchase.  So when things went bad, the banks got their money back and the investors, well, they got squat.

Who in their right mind would put 95% of their capital into one investment vehicle?

I wish you and your family all the very best in your new adventure.  Although I am a good deal younger than you (also an early retired self made millionaire), I have many older expat friends here  in Thailand.  There is a growing trend among these individuals to depart Thailand.  Two of my closer friends departed for good last month.  One is now in Snooky and the other in Hanoi.  I have been enjoying checking out their new lives via Skype.

13 minutes ago, dazzz said:

I live where the thais live  but not where you live. I have never seen drinking water come out of a tap ?The water from our village gets pumped straight from the lake through some filters and comes out sometimes looking a bit brown . Ok for shower. You have to tell me where you get clean water in thailand . my village only had concrete roads 3 yrs ago and a lot of the villages around me still have dirt roads . Roads in england fantastic compared to anywhere outside of bangkok
 crikey where do you live ?

Nor have i, but you never mentioned drinking water in your original post, your actual word's  were "no clean water"  so no changing the goals post's !

If you think the only good road's are in Bangkok then you need to get out more.

So i take it that you have seen every road in England ?

Incidentally from all your moaning  i get the idea that you are not happy, may i suggest you move to somewhere that has clean water and decent roads but obviously not somewhere too close to me !

Edited by alfieconn

1 minute ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I don't get it Mobi.  

You write well and thus must possess some intelligence.  You demonstrate creativity and business acumen and claim to have generated millions during your previous stint back in Blighty.  One must also assume, having lived much of your life in SEA, that your skills at identifying and protecting yourself from scams, and other risks to your capital, are well developed.

But you then you claim to have lost a significant portion of you wealth in 2008.

Why did you have a significant portion of your wealth exposed to equities markets without having trailing stops in place?

Secondly, you invested 95% of your remaining capital in the LM fund.  Why didn't you first read the prospectus?  Despite the fact that the fund was (fraudulently) promoted as being backed by bricks and mortar, a quick glance through the prospectus would have revealed that banks held first mortgages over the bulk of the property portfolio with investor funds then used to make up the balance for purchase.  So when things went bad, the banks got their money back and the investors, well, they got squat.

Who in their right mind would put 95% of their capital into one investment vehicle?

I wish you and your family all the very best in your new adventure.  Although I am a good deal younger than you (also an early retired self made millionaire), I have many older expat friends here  in Thailand.  There is a growing trend among these individuals to depart Thailand.  Two of my closer friends departed for good last month.  One is now in Snooky and the other in Hanoi.  I have been enjoying checking out their new lives via Skype.

There's a simple answer to this. Throughout my adult life I was a very heavy drinker, bordering on alcoholism, and when I moved back to Thailand in 2002 it wasn't long before I became a full blown alcoholic - particularly after marrying wife No. 5 who continually gave me reasons to 'drown my sorrows'.

I could barely keep my life together and this applied to my investments which I left in the hands of an IFA, as I was in no position to make good decisions. Seems he wasn't too smart either. I probably lost around 30% of my investment value in 2008, and then the women.... and then LM was the final blow. I have been sober since 2011 but it was too late, Money all gone.

I blame no one but myself for my present state of penury, but I have to push on for the sake of my family as much as anything else.

Life can be a bitch... but I did have some good times along the way, and it is what it is... I can't turn the clock back... even if I wanted to, which I don't.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

We aren't talking about the USA.

OP can get a basic bank account without an overdraft facility.  https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

I'm sure he has most things lined up already.

I have two UK bank accounts with linked Visa debit/credit cards. I even have a small overdraft facility - not that I would ever use it. The point is that I do still have some money. if I didn't, there's is no way I could obtain visas for my family - it's a bloody expensive business!

But if I stay here and let things drift for another year o so, with little or no income other than my pension, I will have to set my family adrift, and join the poor old sods who sit at home, with no money for medical care, waiting to die.

A return to the old country is a much better option, although I admit I probably wouldn't attempt it if I didn't have the wonderful support of my daughters and brother. Going it alone would be tough.

PS Talking of money - is anyone is interested in my 'nearly new' Chevrolet Colorado Hi-Country, which I bought in December 2015 for just under 1 million Baht and is valued by Red Book at 775K? I will accept any decent offer under 700k. It's in excellent condition, looks great and is a very high spec, five seater vehicle, including climate control, sat-nav, leather seats and much more. There is a lockable rolling black 'lid' on the back to keep stuff safe and dry.on the back. Interested parties please PM me. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Mobi said:

I have two UK bank accounts with linked Visa debit/credit cards. I even have a small overdraft facility - not that I would ever use it. The point is that I do still have some money. if I didn't, there's is no way I could obtain visas for my family - it's a bloody expensive business!

But if I stay here and let things drift for another year o so, with little or no income other than my pension, I will have to set my family adrift, and join the poor old sods who sit at home, with no money for medical care, waiting to die.

A return to the old country is a much better option, although I admit I probably wouldn't attempt it if I didn't have the wonderful support of my daughters and brother. Going it alone would be tough.

PS Talking of money - is anyone is interested in my 'nearly new' Chevrolet Colorado Hi-Country, which I bought in December 2015 for just under 1 million Baht and is valued by Red Book at 775K? I will accept any decent offer under 700k. It's in excellent condition, looks great and is a very high spec, five seater vehicle, including climate control, sat-nav, leather seats and much more. There is a lockable rolling black 'lid' on the back to keep stuff safe and dry.on the back. Interested parties please PM me. Thanks.

So your finances were on the rocks, you have a young new family, and you purchased a new 1 million baht car?

My life was very predictable at one time, then it fell apart. I worked for 22 years for a large company in the US. That company got in financial trouble and I was out of a job. I then received two valuable pieces of advice. The first was that there is only one person in the entire world that can make you happy or unhappy. That person is yourself. The second made me very angry. That advice was not to concern myself with things I have no control over. It took me a number of years to accept the wisdom in that advice.

The bottom line was that I was very lucky to have had a profession that allowed me to get and keep high paying jobs in many US states and in many countries around the world. I worked in three different states and three different countries before I retired here in Thailand.

I too had many relationship failures but I was never married to any of them. That made it fairly easy to move on. I knew what I wanted from a wife and it took a long time to find one that met my requirements and who could put up with a crotchety old fart like me.

I don't share Mobi's pessimism about Thailand and I have a content and full life here. I'm not a wealthy man but I have pensions that give me a healthy surplus every month and I am able to live exactly as I want. I also have enough of a nest egg to give me piece of mind.

Good luck to Mobi and I wish him the best.

30 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

So your finances were on the rocks, you have a young new family, and you purchased a new 1 million baht car?

Do you really want to know every single aspect of my life and finances?

This is exactly what I meant in an earlier post about people jumping to conclusions without being in possession of all the facts. 

I'm not standing for public office... I'm just saying goodbye to Thailand. I think I've been more than open about my personal circumstances, but enough is enough...

If I answer your question, there will undoubtedly be follow-ups and it will go on and on ad nasueum...

But thank you, anyway:smile:

58 minutes ago, Mobi said:

Do you really want to know every single aspect of my life and finances?

This is exactly what I meant in an earlier post about people jumping to conclusions without being in possession of all the facts. 

I'm not standing for public office... I'm just saying goodbye to Thailand. I think I've been more than open about my personal circumstances, but enough is enough...

If I answer your question, there will undoubtedly be follow-ups and it will go on and on ad nasueum...

But thank you, anyway:smile:

C'mon Mobi, you are doing a bit more than just saying goodbye to Thailand, you've already given a lot of detail about your financial problems(so the replies are not assumptions) and added some big dollops of Thai bashing to your op, which seems to be the reaccuring theme of your blogs.