Dermatitis Sufferer

sprog1

Hi, I've suffered from dermatitis on my hands for many years, & most of the time I've been able to keep it under control, but for some reason, the last 6 mths have been bad.

I have been seeing the skin doctor in Buriram & no matter how bad my hands are, he gives me the same ointment each time. At first it cleared up, then came back worse

We have a furniture factory, & even though I don't do any work, there is always dust from the particle  boards & MDF. which until coming to Thailand, I've never encountered  before.

Is there anything anyone can recommend? I've tried Betnovate, cream & ointment, I ordered some Aqueous Cream & E 45 cream from the UK, hoping they would help, but my hands got worse. 

I was in hospital once for it in England, & I used to have to wear gloves at night with some foul smelling cream, & that cleared it for a long time, but I can't remember the name of it.

Any idea's would be gratefully received. Thank 

Vinegar (and plain is as good as apple cider, it's the acidity that counts) will  helps only for fungal and, to a much lesser extent, bacterial infections. It will not help with eczema due to allergy/contact dermatitis which is what this sounds like...and it may sting and increase the redness/discomfort.

Contact dermatitis responds only to

1 - avoiding what it is that you are allergic to (either altogether or by wearing gloves)

2- steroids, topical or systemic.  Betnovate is a topical steroid but seemingly isn't doing the trick. Oral steroids likely will work (assuming it is a contact dermatitis or other allergic process, and not something else like a fungal infection) but have significant side effects and must be prescribed by a doctor.

Plus if there is itching, antihistamines and if skin is cracked/broken then emollients - but those do not treat just ease symptoms. The mainstay of actual treatment is to avoid the trigger (ideal) and suppress the immune system

hyper-response.

You need to see a good dermatologist. Suggest you go to Srinagarind (Khon Kaen University) Hospital  through their after hours clinic. There is an American nurse currently working there who can help recommend a specific doctor - contact her at  [email protected].

It will greatly help if you can get copies of your records from the UK first.

Thanks Cheryl,

I forgot to mention, that it is contact dermatitis. I have been wearing gloves most of the time over the last couple of months & I have been taking  Antihistamines for the itching.

Where can I buy emollients in Thailand? I've asked at the doctors & the Pharmacy, but they both say not have in Thailand.  

Thanks for the Email address, that may be just what I need, but I don't think I will be able to get my records from

the UK 

I think it depends on what works for you as far as moisture, and what will not exacerbate the problem.  Might require trial and error.  When I lived in the U.S., in the winter my hands would get dry and crack/bleed.  The only thing that worked was cocoa butter applied every night (with gloves); no lotion or other oil would work for long.  I've known other people for whom cocoa butter doesn't work.  Some people find some lotions work really well; others use different ones.  Probably easiest to start with the commercial lotions and see if you find something you like.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:53 PM, Katia said:

I think it depends on what works for you as far as moisture, and what will not exacerbate the problem.  Might require trial and error.  When I lived in the U.S., in the winter my hands would get dry and crack/bleed.  The only thing that worked was cocoa butter applied every night (with gloves); no lotion or other oil would work for long.  I've known other people for whom cocoa butter doesn't work.  Some people find some lotions work really well; others use different ones.  Probably easiest to start with the commercial lotions and see if you find something you like.

Thanks Katia, I will bare that in mind

On 5/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Have you tried simple vasoline?

Hi Sheryl, I started to use that last week. I'm using the cream the doctor gave me twice a day, & then putting on loads of vasoline. I keep the gloves on nearly all the time now, & it seems to be working, only time will tell

Thanks again