Water pump choice from roof level tank

On 5/8/2017 at 7:15 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

We often have power cuts of several hours so that's why we are installing a tank in the roof so we will still have running (or maybe walking) water when the inevitable power cut happen.

Maybe a daft question but... Instead of installing an elevated tank, can't you just use mains pressure during power cuts?

On 16/05/2017 at 11:06 PM, chickenslegs said:

Maybe a daft question but... Instead of installing an elevated tank, can't you just use mains pressure during power cuts?

55555 Not a daft question as you don't know our village, but the water is often turned off during the day time and when it is on it is just enough to fill the lower storage tank and that is about 2 to 3 meters lower than the taps and showers.  

However the house is built, the water pipe is in leading to and from the roof tank position so when we get back in July we will be putting in 2 pumps (one will be very inexpensive, that one fills the roof tank controlled by a float switch) so I'm trying to find out if any one has already done what I'm going to do591cfc834c959_Watertankposition.jpg.f278718610c106dfbf3da68ea2d1cce1.jpg.

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

55555 Not a daft question as you don't know our village, but the water is often turned off during the day time and when it is on it is just enough to fill the lower storage tank and that is about 2 to 3 meters lower than the taps and showers.  

However the house is built, the water pipe is in leading to and from the roof tank position so when we get back in July we will be putting in 2 pumps (one will be very inexpensive, that one fills the roof tank controlled by a float switch) so I'm trying to find out if any one has already done what I'm going to do591cfc834c959_Watertankposition.jpg.f278718610c106dfbf3da68ea2d1cce1.jpg.

The roof tank is easily controlled by one (1) float switch in the tank, activate on fall, deactivate on rise - set the levels to suit your requirements.

I also fitted a second float switch, this isolates the pressure pump if the tank level fall too low (near empty tank).

Both  float switches can be run auto or manually - normally set on auto but I can over-ride if needs be.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

The roof tank is easily controlled by one (1) float switch in the tank, activate on fall, deactivate on rise - set the levels to suit your requirements.

I also fitted a second float switch, this isolates the pressure pump if the tank level fall too low (near empty tank).

Both  float switches can be run auto or manually - normally set on auto but I can over-ride if needs be.

Exactly, for supply to the tank.

However it's the supply from the tank to the house that can benefit from a much more sophisticated pump. That is the pump that's of most interest.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Exactly, for supply to the tank.

However it's the supply from the tank to the house that can benefit from a much more sophisticated pump. That is the pump that's of most interest.

Not quite understanding your question, I thought this was fairly well covered earlier, however please expand your thoughts.

You could look at Grundfos CH-PC,  pressure controlled unit - probably the best option for you.

http://net.grundfos.com/doc/webnet/homeperformance/apreg/media/5883/ch-pc and ch-pt.pdf

Edited by Artisi

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Not quite understanding your question, I thought this was fairly well covered earlier, however please expand your thoughts.

Well so far nobody has had actual experience related to my original question. Or if they have they haven't talked about it.

In short; High level tank with pump passing a reasonable flow when it has no power.

Crossey made the point that probably most would be ok and there was a suggestion that a turbine style pump would be good.

The question was which pumps will allow a reasonable flow through them when the power is off.  The water head is between 2 and 3 metres above the outlet.

May be I wasn't clear enough that I want a standard integrated pump that has a flow switch, pressure switch, and pressure tank. Most hitachi and mitsubishi pumps do. I don't want the extra high pressure of most Grundfos pumps 

FWIW I am letching after an inverter even though it's more expensive

• 8 months later...

Hello Sometime

I see you haven't got an answer & I also cant help you with that

But what I'm interested in is your Float switches

? I see that you would be running 240 v to your sensor as your pump would need that due to the size of it

I'm wandering how this is set up in the tank as to keep the 240 out of the water 

I was thinking of putting in 2 - 1 half way down to fill & 1 at the top to cut off

Also where did you get your Float switches - I'm in Korat

Man across the rd just got a small pump put in due to low Moo Baan pressure - But he has to manually control it

@BEVUP The big box places have float switches of both the single float and two float type.

Both are suitable for switching 220V but if your pump is over about 1.5HP you'll need a contactor to take the load.

The two float units have the advantage that the electrics don't get inside the tank, have a greater on to off range and are generally easier to adjust.

Single float switch:-

HTB1V87VKVXXXXblXVXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg

Two float type:-

HTB1yIoSFVXXXXaFaXXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg

Thanks Crossy

I actually came across another thread where you showed this but it seems you have up dated

It's just a small back up for Moo Baan low pressure

Man across the rd just put a small Lucky Pro pump in since his neighbour was  restricting his tank inlet flow due to them having one

Cost him 6000 bht but no float system

Edited by BEVUP

On 24/01/2018 at 4:09 PM, BEVUP said:

Hello Sometime

I see you haven't got an answer & I also cant help you with that

But what I'm interested in is your Float switches

? I see that you would be running 240 v to your sensor as your pump would need that due to the size of it

I'm wandering how this is set up in the tank as to keep the 240 out of the water 

I was thinking of putting in 2 - 1 half way down to fill & 1 at the top to cut off

Also where did you get your Float switches - I'm in Korat

Man across the rd just got a small pump put in due to low Moo Baan pressure - But he has to manually control it

As Crossy has said, the extra information is that this is the 2 float system type.IMG_3175.thumb.JPG.0573d3fd2dd6508a90bda38f59ad24c0.JPGIMG_3176.thumb.JPG.a8e194814a36c208360343cc08af083c.JPG