Required documents upon resignation from a company

Hi all,

My HR department (actually 1 person which does this role as an extra duty) isn't the most knowledgeable when it comes foreigners and immigration so I am asking what documents I need to ask from the company when I resign? My last day is this Friday and so I presume we will both go to immigration to cancel my work permit and I will apply for the 7-day extension at the same time so I do not have to leave the country within 24-hours. I will be working here in Thailand asap so do I need to obtain any tax documentation or anything else I would need to use when applying for my second work permit with another company?

Thanks guys

A work permit would be canceled at the labor ministry where it was issued not immigration.

You only need a termination letter to cancel your extension at immigration. If you company will will to date it a little later than Friday you could go to immigration before that date and they would postdate the cancellation to that date that would allow time for you to leave the country. No need to pay 1900 baht to get 7 days to leave the country.

Immigration will be closed tomorrow and Friday for holidays.

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A work permit would be canceled at the labor ministry where it was issued not immigration.

You only need a termination letter to cancel your extension at immigration. If you company will will to date it a little later than Friday you could go to immigration before that date and they would postdate the cancellation to that date that would allow time for you to leave the country. No need to pay 1900 baht to get 7 days to leave the country.

Immigration will be closed tomorrow and Friday for holidays.

Thanks for info in  @ubonjoe

What about any documentation from the company for further employment? I will still be working in Bangkok but not straight away. Someone told me I would need some sort of documentation stating how much tax I have paid to obtain my second work permit at another company?

52 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

What about any documentation from the company for further employment? I will still be working in Bangkok but not straight away. Someone told me I would need some sort of documentation stating how much tax I have paid to obtain my second work permit at another company?

That would come from the revenue department. Nothing to do with resigning from your current job.

• Like 1

In 21 years working in Thailand, I changed jobs four times. I was never asked whether I had paid my income taxes. In Thailand, income tax is payable March 31 of each year for the preceding calendar year.

• Like 1

@ubonjoe

My last day at work today and HR asked for my passport and work permit and told me it;s needed for the 7-day extension. What is she talking about? I go to immigration and request the 7 days extenstion with the termination letter from my company, correct? I think they will date it today so can I can go to immigration on Monday without a problem? It's obviously closed today and can not get any extension.

Edited by Bountyhuntr

10 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

My last day at work today and HR asked for my passport and work permit and told me it;s needed for the 7-day extension.

I have no idea what they are going to do.

Perhaps the will do the application for you on Monday.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have no idea what they are going to do.

Perhaps the will do the application for you on Monday.

But it is ok if my last day of work is today and I go to immigration on monday? The leave within 24-hours doesn't apply for weekends right?

Also maybe she will cancel my work permit, she requires my passport and work permit to do this in my absence?

Edited by Bountyhuntr

1 hour ago, Bountyhuntr said:

But it is ok if my last day of work is today and I go to immigration on monday? The leave within 24-hours doesn't apply for weekends right?

Also maybe she will cancel my work permit, she requires my passport and work permit to do this in my absence?

In reality there is no 24 hours. You have to leave on the same date your extension is canceled.

I don't think they can do anything today since all government offices are closed. The earliest would be Monday.

They can cancel the work permit if they have a power of attorney from you to do it.

• Like 1

I have never known of anyone in your exact situation, so this is something of an educated guess:

-normally, when Immigration is closed for a holiday, you can go in on the first day (and only on the first day) that they re-open, and not have to pay a fine etc.

-there is a "But" in your case, and I think it is a big "but". There is no requirement that you report to your local Immigration office before leaving Thailand; rather, you are stamped out as you depart at the airport or border. If you want(ed) to visit the Immigration office (and avoid an otherwise required trip out of the country), you should not have left it until the last day.

In my view, you will be on overstay if you don't leave today.  Will your employer be willing to keep you on the payroll until Monday ?

Edited by allane

10 minutes ago, allane said:

I have never known of anyone in your exact situation, so this is something of an educated guess:

-normally, when Immigration is closed for a holiday, you can go in on the first day (and only on the first day) that they re-open, and not have to pay a fine etc.

-there is a "But" in your case, and I think it is a big "but". There is no requirement that you report to your local Immigration office before leaving Thailand; rather, you are stamped out as you depart at the airport or border. If you want(ed) to visit the Immigration office (and avoid an otherwise required trip out of the country), you should not have left it until the last day.

In my view, you will be on overstay if you don't leave today.  Will your employer be willing to keep you on the payroll until Monday ?

Yeah I knew about the weekend part but not in my scenario., ty for reply.  I have just sorted it for Wednesday to be my last day so this should avoid complications. Is there a form at immigration to fill out or do you just show them your passport and resignation / termination letter to cancel this extension?